FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   I Thought Delta was better than this (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1852622-i-thought-delta-better-than.html)

AnnKangas Jul 9, 17 9:17 pm

I Thought Delta was better than this

I thought Delta was better than this, but today may have changed mind.

My husband and I have been Delta Skymiles members for many years and travel a fair amount, we actually will be traveling more this year again. We have always been loyal to Delta.

Today we were screwed twice by Delta. After being on hold for over 2 hours combined, my husband was charged for his name being incorrect on the ticket, as he has a new contract and their admin department made a mistake. This was a $50 fee he had to pay so he will be allowed through security...

Secondly, we saved miles for a family vacation and purchased 5 First Class tickets in May. They cost us 92,500 miles per ticket for a grand total of 462,500 miles plus $56 cash. Today I looked at the same dates and the same first class tickets were only 65,000 miles a piece for a total of 325,000 miles. The difference of 137,500 miles is tremendous!! They wanted to charge me $150 per ticket in order to either change or cancel the tickets. (I used to be able to cancel the tickets for free with points) SO THEY WANTED A TOTAL OF $750 TO CHANGE OR CANCEL MY RESERVATION THAT I PAID $56 for???????????? to recoup the 137,500 miles that would be enough for tickets for my husband and I to go somewhere else. THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!! Way to treat loyal customers...All I want is the difference in miles back.

WWads Jul 9, 17 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by AnnKangas (Post 28540391)

My husband and I have been Delta Skymiles members for many years and travel a fair amount, we actually will be traveling more this year again. We have always been loyal to Delta.

Today we were screwed twice by Delta. After being on hold for over 2 hours combined, my husband was charged for his name being incorrect on the ticket, as he has a new contract and their admin department made a mistake. This was a $50 fee he had to pay so he will be allowed through security...

Secondly, we saved miles for a family vacation and purchased 5 First Class tickets in May. They cost us 92,500 miles per ticket for a grand total of 462,500 miles plus $56 cash. Today I looked at the same dates and the same first class tickets were only 65,000 miles a piece for a total of 325,000 miles. The difference of 137,500 miles is tremendous!! They wanted to charge me $150 per ticket in order to either change or cancel the tickets. (I used to be able to cancel the tickets for free with points) SO THEY WANTED A TOTAL OF $750 TO CHANGE OR CANCEL MY RESERVATION THAT I PAID $56 for???????????? to recoup the 137,500 miles that would be enough for tickets for my husband and I to go somewhere else. THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!! Way to treat loyal customers...All I want is the difference in miles back.

A $150 redeposit fee is required for general members, Silvers, and Golds. That's stated policy, and is basically the same at the other two major carriers.

If the ticket was booked through a business travel agency or something, DL charges $50 to take over the ticket.

iflyalexair Jul 9, 17 9:27 pm

You're not going to get sympathy here. FWIW, your husband would have gotten through security, especially if the discrepancy was minimal.

Is the new mileage price the same if you search for five tickets at once?

SeaHawg Jul 9, 17 9:30 pm

Before this thread becomes too snarky, I would like to advise you to politely call again and very politely escalate the case and see if DL will bend - 450k miles, especially if obtained through butt in seat flying, is a nice chunk. So is the 150k saved by rebooking. I would ask if it is possible to issue it as an e-credit redeemable within a year if they can't give a straight fee refund.

That being said, unless you are DM or PM, Delta owes you nothing.

miraclebear2003 Jul 9, 17 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by AnnKangas (Post 28540391)

Welcome to Flyertalk. We are often unhappy with things and want to rant and you have had your chance, but where is Delta at fault?

1) - You have said the mistake was made by your husband's administrative department. I don't see what Delta did wrong. I think the company owed you the $50.
2) - We are all unhappy when the price of something goes down, but that's the way it goes. Delta followed their published rules; they didn't go out of the way to screw you. Loyal customer is a relative term. If you are a Platinum or Diamond member there is no charge for redepositing the tickets and getting everything back (if 72 hours before the flight). Just because you are Platinum or Diamond doesn't even mean you are a "loyal customer", so I don't know why you think Delta should change the rules for you.

I've tried to politely respond to your complaints, but although people will understand your anger, I doubt you will find anyone on the side of saying something else should have been done.

audidudi Jul 9, 17 9:36 pm

I would venture to say that probably everyone who has flown more than once has bought a ticket that went down in price after it was bought, as some point! It's a fact of life! Good luck with following up with DL, and let us know what happened.

obscure2k Jul 9, 17 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by SeaHawg (Post 28540431)
Before this thread becomes too snarky, I would like to advise you to politely call again and very politely escalate the case and see if DL will bend - 450k miles, especially if obtained through butt in seat flying, is a nice chunk. So is the 150k saved by rebooking. I would ask if it is possible to issue it as an e-credit redeemable within a year if they can't give a straight fee refund.

That being said, unless you are DM or PM, Delta owes you nothing.

+1.
Good luck.

javabytes Jul 9, 17 9:45 pm

Must be something in the air. See this very similar thread from the AA forum posted recently: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ot-refund.html

Long story short:

1) If your husband's contract admins messed up his name, they own that, not Delta.

2) Non-refundable tickets, including award tickets, carry a change fee if you modify them. You are no stranger to Delta, so this is not news. If you held PM status or above, you'd get that fee waived for award tickets. Absent that, expect to pay. Fares (whether cash or miles) can go up or down after you buy. Delta doesn't come ask you for more miles if the fare goes up after you buy. Nor do I suspect you ask Amazon/your local grocery store/etc. to give you money back after your purchase.

ijgordon Jul 9, 17 9:47 pm

Would you have expected Delta to call you if they raised the price of the ticket to 105,000 miles each and ask to deduct the difference from your account?

I didn't think so.

jjmiller69 Jul 9, 17 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 28540476)
Would you have expected Delta to call you if they raised the price of the ticket to 105,000 miles each and ask to deduct the difference from your account?

I didn't think so.

Correct every time you buy a ticket or redeem points you take a chance. Next week it could be higher priced or lower.
As far as the $50 name change that was his works mistake and why would Delta change the rule for him?

miraclebear2003 Jul 9, 17 10:19 pm

I guess we have been here before.

I predict that we will get more of the same answer from other posters. I would also venture to guess that we don't hear from the OP again (unless it is to blame us all for defending DL)

My last prediction is that by tomorrow night there won't be any more posts added to this.;)

Kevin AA Jul 10, 17 12:50 am

Like I said on the AA forum whining about the same thing, fly Southwest and you can cancel and re-book for fewer dollars or points at no charge.

rucksack Jul 10, 17 2:26 am

As a number of people here have already pointed out, the $50 fee Delta charged you was actually an External Reissue Charge (ERC) in order to modify a ticket that was issued by an agency the fee was not for the name correction itself.

Some constructive advice for future situations like this:
  • If you need to make changes to a ticket purchased through an agency, contact the agency to make the changes; the ERC does not apply if changes are made by the agency that issued the ticket (other standard change fees may apply)
  • If you can wait till within 24 hours of departure when all tickets are under airline control, Delta can generally make changes to externally issued tickets without charging you the ERC.

C W Jul 10, 17 2:42 am

Tickets, both in miles and cash, fluctuate in price all the time. If you'd bough tickets with cash and the price dropped, would you have demanded a refund of the difference?

Delta's $150 fee per ticket to redeposit an award ticket is published and easy to find. This is what you were offered to be charged. You would have in effect been redepositing all your tickets and then repurchasing them at the lower price. Change fees are the simple reality of any non-refundable airfare.

LondonElite Jul 10, 17 3:51 am

At the risk of repeating what others have said...

1. You say the 'admin department made a mistake.' So should they not pay the $50? Why is this Delta's fault?

2. Dynamic pricing means that sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Had the price per ticket gone UP by 15,000 miles, would you be calling Delta to remind them to help themselves to a further 75,000 miles from your account? I thought not. ;)