Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I Thought Delta was better than this

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by C W
I'm not exactly sure what I'm being accused of here, hypocrisy?
I am not trying to paint the scarlet H on your forehead or anything like that.

If you can get a fee waived, that's good for you.

If OP can get his/her fee waived, then good for him/her though it seems quite unlikely to happen.

David
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
If you think about it a little more, you'll realise that without such fees, people would just book whatever was available as a free option to travel if they chose to do so. They could change their minds and redeposit without penalty. They would do this until they had found the perfect dates, location, and seat count. In the meantime, anyone trying to book on those dates that were now blocked by this free optioneering would see no availability.
Oh, is THAT why there is never any availability on AA or its partners?
(AA waives redeposit for top-tier, like DL, but also allows unlimited date/time/routing changes for free for ALL award tickets, as long as origin and destination remain unchanged). AND NO 72 HOUR RULE.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This thread is devolving into one of those, "but AA does this' and "UA does that."

People should pick a program which suits their needs and accept that if everything were the same, there would be no competition.

As to OP, at some point, DL puts remarks in the PNR notes about being phone-banked. Nothing short of a senior executive or a clear demonstration that a previous agent has misread the rules, will change that now.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Oh, is THAT why there is never any availability on AA or its partners?
(AA waives redeposit for top-tier, like DL, but also allows unlimited date/time/routing changes for free for ALL award tickets, as long as origin and destination remain unchanged). AND NO 72 HOUR RULE.
Well, not quite. There can be an award change fee to add or drop non-oneworld carriers: AS is frequently noted as a problem.

Oh, and non-elites can enjoy paying the close-in award fee <21 days in advance of travel.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:34 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by apodo77
No.
well ok then
Old Jul 10, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by AnnKangas
I thought Delta was better than this, but today may have changed mind.

My husband and I have been Delta Skymiles members for many years and travel a fair amount, we actually will be traveling more this year again. We have always been loyal to Delta.

Today we were screwed twice by Delta. After being on hold for over 2 hours combined, my husband was charged for his name being incorrect on the ticket, as he has a new contract and their admin department made a mistake. This was a $50 fee he had to pay so he will be allowed through security...

Secondly, we saved miles for a family vacation and purchased 5 First Class tickets in May. They cost us 92,500 miles per ticket for a grand total of 462,500 miles plus $56 cash. Today I looked at the same dates and the same first class tickets were only 65,000 miles a piece for a total of 325,000 miles. The difference of 137,500 miles is tremendous!! They wanted to charge me $150 per ticket in order to either change or cancel the tickets. (I used to be able to cancel the tickets for free with points) SO THEY WANTED A TOTAL OF $750 TO CHANGE OR CANCEL MY RESERVATION THAT I PAID $56 for???????????? to recoup the 137,500 miles that would be enough for tickets for my husband and I to go somewhere else. THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!! Way to treat loyal customers...All I want is the difference in miles back.
I will perhaps be more sympathetic in saying "I feel your pain". The unpleasant side effect of the variable pricing scheme Delta is using on award tickets is what you have seen, the price falls. I guess there was a version of this before (no saver awards, then some opened up) just not as bad. Delta, and other other airlines (UA does this) put a redeposit fee on to prevent people holding seats, then changing them for cheaper seats if they became available. And it was a common technique to try to get a better deal that many here used in the past.

While I understand your frustration, a redeposit fee is (other than I think with WN, which then has no FC) standard at this point.

And welcome to FT!
Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Or I am just being obtuse?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by MEMLawGuy
"Photo from Shawshank Redemption"
^^^^
Old Jul 10, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
At least he's not being acute.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 3:27 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by WWads
At least he's not being acute.
What's wrong with being cute?!?!?

Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Neither OP nor his wife were "screwed" as OP so politely puts it.

1. Admin Fee - This is to have DL take over the ticket. It has nothing to do with the name change. It is simply that DL's corporate deal with OP's husband's employer's TA is that the TA handles administrative detail. If OP chooses to pay DL to handle what the TA should have handled, that is a personal matter for OP. Maybe he didn't need to bother with the name change, maybe his employer will reimburse him, or maybe his employer will tell him that the TA ought to have handled. In any event, this was something that ought to have been handled back when the ticket was issued, not at the airport.

2. Deposit Fees - Prices drop and increase all the time, especially on cash fares. That is the entire nature of the business. For every time this happens, prices go up too and it turns out to have been a smart move to have purchased earlier. Or worse, you wait and ticket prices don't increase, there is simply no availability.

I get that nobody likes penalty fees, but they are there as a revenue protection measure to prevent day-trading in tickets and to differentiate the fully refundable/changeable fares from discounted (including award) tickets.
Well, it appears that DL is within the stated rules.

However, the OP and WE are ALL being screwed by the rules...kinda like death is a rule...but it will screw with us all.

It's a matter of perspective.

OP, while it is unlikely that anything can be done to rectify the rotational insertion you have experienced...ignore the denizens of FT who, along with pointing out that you are unlikely to find much relief, seem to take joy in calling out, ridiculing and generally being rude to those who simply come here to rant.

Stay strong! Do not go gentle into that good night!!!

Last edited by CalVol; Jul 10, 2017 at 4:11 pm
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Of course you're not being "screwed" by the rules. They are contract terms which you choose to accept. Don't like them, purchase a ticket which doesn't have them.

DL offers full F and Y fares which are fully refundable. If you find a better deal somewhere, just cancel for a full refund and purchase the new ticket. No fees, penalties or anything.

I was purchased an "Anytime" (refundable) fare on WN at a time when AA was $190 more expensive. When I got to the airport, on a lark, I checked the AA price just for the heck of it and it had dropped to $30 more expensive, but to a closer airport, DCA rather than BWI. I grabbed the AA ticket, cancelled the WN ticket and I am all set.

If I had purchased one of those discounted WN tickets with a juvenile name, I would have wished that I had saved a bit, but I would not have said that WN "screwed" me.

This is all about people hedging the system, wishing they hadn't and looking to blame someone else.

Who in their right mind would book the discounted ticket if they could get the same benefits as a fully refundable ticket?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Of course you're not being "screwed" by the rules. They are contract terms which you choose to accept. Don't like them, purchase a ticket which doesn't have them.

DL offers full F and Y fares which are fully refundable. If you find a better deal somewhere, just cancel for a full refund and purchase the new ticket. No fees, penalties or anything.

I was purchased an "Anytime" (refundable) fare on WN at a time when AA was $190 more expensive. When I got to the airport, on a lark, I checked the AA price just for the heck of it and it had dropped to $30 more expensive, but to a closer airport, DCA rather than BWI. I grabbed the AA ticket, cancelled the WN ticket and I am all set.

If I had purchased one of those discounted WN tickets with a juvenile name, I would have wished that I had saved a bit, but I would not have said that WN "screwed" me.

This is all about people hedging the system, wishing they hadn't and looking to blame someone else.

Who in their right mind would book the discounted ticket if they could get the same benefits as a fully refundable ticket?
I getta kick out of your inability to think beyond a very narrow pov.

Wooosh!
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by CalVol
Well, it appears that DL is within the stated rules.
the denizens of FT who, along with pointing out that you are unlikely to find much relief, seem to take joy in calling out, ridiculing and generally being rude to those who simply come here to rant.
There are plenty of airline rules that draw the ire of FTers, however people here have little tolerance for scapegoating.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by ruckzac
There are plenty of airline rules that draw the ire of FTers, however people here have little tolerance for scapegoating.
Well all I know is after I read the OP post then noticed it was their first post....I knew she wasn't in for a pleasant ride lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.