I Thought Delta was better than this

Old Jul 10, 17, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, DL DM MM, BIS MM, EK Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Priority Club Gold/IC Ambassador
Oh boy. This forum is going to ROAST you. Please bring a flame suit.
Old Jul 10, 17, 4:57 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Well all I know is after I read the OP post then noticed it was their first post....I knew she wasn't in for a pleasant ride lol
Yep, and it's no wonder.

It's fair that Delta charges a fee to takeover external tickets. Delta compensates these external agencies for selling tickets because they share some of the cost of marketing and servicing these tickets. If Delta ends up shouldering this responsibility instead of the agency, it's fair that Delta should be compensated.

It's also fair that Delta charges an award redeposit fee (though the fee amount and when to charge it are points of discussion). If Delta didn't charge this fee, people could tie up reservations they don't intend to use, which would impact other fliers. Additionally, the risk of having the price drop after we purchase is the price you pay for the security of having your reservation honored in the event that Delta could sell your seat to someone else at a higher price.
Old Jul 10, 17, 4:59 pm

IBTL.
Pretty much what most FT folks said.
You can try HUCA and maybe get lucky but it is down to luck.
I know how that feels though.
The best way I relate to this is (leisure travel) when making an advance cash hotel booking that cannot be changed thinking savings are made for the inflexibility only to see the price come down closer in.
But that is how these two industry works.
Old Jul 10, 17, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by ruckzac View Post
There are plenty of airline rules that draw the ire of FTers, however people here have little tolerance for scapegoating.
Poor lil ol Delta. LOL!!!

The rules are the rules. But, the over the top castigation of her for being angry about the situation she's in borders on ridiculous. We even have a mind reader who thinks (s)he knows that they were attempting to (apparently proactively) hedge the system.

What it actually sounds like to me is someone who flies a bit (enough to accumulate enough miles for a family vacation) but isn't really a FF. Does this:
My husband and I have been Delta Skymiles members for many years and travel a fair amount, we actually will be traveling more this year again.
sound like something a real FF would write?

As a result she hasn't really had to deal with any unusual stuff and was, therefore, unaware of how things are now wrt fees, fees, fees! Hence the sticker shock.

The basic tone of said responses seemed to be along the lines of: "You shoulda read the rules you stupid &!t#h! smh

When all that was needed was something like... "Hey, we feel your pain. It sucks when that happens! But, unfortunately, there isn't much hope you're gonna get any relief. The best you can do is give em a call and see if they will do you a favor. Good luck and enjoy your trip!"

Obviously, YMMV. But, that just means you're wrong
Old Jul 10, 17, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ Super Plats
Originally Posted by AnnKangas View Post
... (I used to be able to cancel the tickets for free with points) ...
Originally Posted by SeaHawg View Post
... That being said, unless you are DM or PM, Delta owes you nothing.
She was but appears not to have adjusted to the reduced perqs that follow loss of DYKWIA status.

Originally Posted by CalVol View Post
... What it actually sounds like to me is someone who flies a bit (enough to accumulate enough miles for a family vacation) but isn't really a FF. Does this: sound like something a real FF would write?
If she used to be able to cancel award tickets at no cost, she's an ex DM or PM.

I'd suggest she consider Southwest (WN) for her future trips. They enplane more passengers in the U.S. than any other airline (Delta included) and offer unlimited no-fee changes, refares & refunds (cash or coupon valid for up to a year, depending on the circumstances of the original purchase), and every seat is first class with free peanuts!!!!!

Last edited by MikeMpls; Jul 10, 17 at 5:23 pm
Old Jul 10, 17, 5:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
[QUOTE=CalVol;28544251]Poor lil ol Delta. LOL!!!

"The basic tone of said responses seemed to be along the lines of: "You shoulda read the rules you stupid &!t#h! smh"

The red-line is just a bit over the top. The first part is true. She should have read the rules or at least read them before posting a rant about what the world used to be like.

But, nobody here suggested that she is "stupid" or whatever anti-female language you want the next word to refer to.

Last edited by Often1; Jul 10, 17 at 6:56 pm
Old Jul 10, 17, 5:35 pm

[QUOTE=Often1;28544300]
Originally Posted by CalVol View Post
Poor lil ol Delta. LOL!!!

The basic tone of said responses seemed to be along the lines of: "You shoulda read the rules you stupid &!t#h! smh

The red-line is just a bit over the top. The first part is true. She should have read the rules or at least read them before posting a rant about what the world used to be like.

But, nobody here suggested that she is "stupid" or whatever anti-female language you want the next word to refer to.
Perhaps. mea culpa.

Why should she have read up on the rules before posting a rant? Are we into declaring moral imperatives regarding the times when we might vent our frustrations?
Old Jul 10, 17, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls View Post
She was but appears not to have adjusted to the reduced perqs that follow loss of DYKWIA status.

If she used to be able to cancel award tickets at no cost, she's an ex DM or PM.

I'd suggest she consider Southwest (WN) for her future trips. They enplane more passengers in the U.S. than any other airline (Delta included) and offer unlimited no-fee changes, refares & refunds (cash or coupon valid for up to a year, depending on the circumstances of the original purchase), and every seat is first class with free peanuts!!!!!
Perhaps she was. But, I have my doubts. Even if she were, sticker shock can be a real kick in the pants. I appreciate that she's raging against the machine that keeps the little people down.

I miss my DL peanuts....not enough to switch to those luxurious WN 1st class seats.

I still think there is waaay too much of a tendency to roast people over inconsequential stuff. Maybe it's keyboard envy or something.
Old Jul 10, 17, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA/DL/WN/ex-UA elite
After 52 replies, the OP has yet to come back and post anything. First and only post, ranting and raving, and we never hear from the person again. Utterly useless.
Old Jul 10, 17, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by Kevin AA View Post
After 52 replies, the OP has yet to come back and post anything. First and only post, ranting and raving, and we never hear from the person again. Utterly useless.
Judging by the extensive use of caps and punctuation in the original post, you're probably right.

But on the off chance the OP comes back, they will hopefully get a reminder to shop around and fly on the airline that best suits their needs (refundability, etc). I would love to get a refund when the fare goes down, but I know it's not possible -- nobody would want to pay if the fare went up. This is just an inherent risk.

However, I personally think it is worth paying $750 to keep 137,500 miles.
Old Jul 10, 17, 6:38 pm
ryw

Programs: WN A, DL FO, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
I was purchased an "Anytime" (refundable) fare on WN at a time when AA was $190 more expensive. When I got to the airport, on a lark, I checked the AA price just for the heck of it and it had dropped to $30 more expensive, but to a closer airport, DCA rather than BWI. I grabbed the AA ticket, cancelled the WN ticket and I am all set.

If I had purchased one of those discounted WN tickets with a juvenile name, I would have wished that I had saved a bit, but I would not have said that WN "screwed" me.
Technically if you got a non-refundable fare on WN and cancelled, you'd still get all of your money back in WN travel funds (which would be useful as long as you travel again on WN within 12 months of the purchase date). Because of this frequent WN folks certainly tend to hedge and refare flight tickets to our advantage (though obviously they have a different business model than DL, and it's not like there's a D1 seat to use miles on...)

For OP, you might want to compare things like change & cancellation fees and policies across airlines. (I know before I flew frequently, I had no idea what the differences were between airlines). There's one here that seems relatively up to date to me (though not being familiar with every program, it's possible some things have changed) https://www.cheapism.com/airline-cha...ellation-fees/
Old Jul 10, 17, 6:57 pm

I am sorry but I have to side with Delta here because when you purchase a ticket whether paid or with award miles you are locked in at that rate unless you find something within 24 hours under the free change policy.

I booked an Award Ticket in First Class from San Jose-Tampa one way as part of a repositioning European Cruise for 45,000 one way and then it can go up to 55,000 miles. I booked my Father in a Y reward for 17,500 one way for the same flight and it can go up to 25,000 miles depending on how much inventory there is at each award base.

For a paid ticket I found an Air France flight using a Delta Travel Voucher for $1,100 from SFO-CDG-AMS-SFO during the 24 hour period I called Delta and said that the KLM connecting time in CDG was less than I wanted so they found me the Air France nonstop flight for $200 less and just issued me a $200 travel voucher and gets me in 2 hours earlier than the KLM flight.

Its not worth it sometimes to pay the change and redeposit fees unless its a considerable amount of miles where you may or may not be able to get a ticket at the lower Award inventory.

The OP should have read the terms and conditions before buying the ticket. Also with regards to the name change fee you are allowed up to three letters that are wrong like Lopez vs Lopes but if the name is so botched up then you would need to pay the $50 fee and its the responsibility of the Corporate Travel Agency and not your responsibility to pay the fee. They can reimburse you. But its your responsibility to look at the itinerary after you get it as they can just cancel and rebook it during the 24 hour change period.

I hope this helps and please keep us posted.
Old Jul 10, 17, 8:05 pm

This is gonna be another one of those "OP doesn't like what he/she sees and never comes back" threads. Might as well move on.
Old Jul 10, 17, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by Kevin AA View Post
Would you come back after getting pummeled, hammered, and thrown to the hyenas? The OP had no idea nor plan on getting the heat she did. So she didn't read the t&c's--understandable but the responses could have been nicer. FWIW there were civil responses.
Old Jul 11, 17, 12:50 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by AnnKangas View Post
I thought Delta was better than this, but today may have changed mind.
Sorry, but there's no much you can do. The name mistake wasn't your or DL's fault, but that is a fee that we all don't like. The second problem was a function of the anti-consumer demand-based award pricing with no award chart. Simply put, they can do that too, and there's nothing you can do it about it except move your business elsewhere. That's my suggestion.

Of course you're not being "screwed" by the rules. They are contract terms which you choose to accept. Don't like them, purchase a ticket which doesn't have them.
That's a tired cop-out for the airline in the OP's case. Take this for example. Let's say someone "signed-up" to the SkyMiles program a few years ago. The customer diligently flew DL and accumulated miles through the varied methods of earning miles (could very well be our OP). At their whim, DL can significantly change their program - without any requirement to be "accepted" by the customer - and institute devaluing changes such as demand-based award pricing without an award chart. Now the price will vary, and one can never be completely sure what the lowest price will be. That sets the perfect trap for our OP to fall into--buying a ticket only to see the price fall later, with award change fees guaranteeing that DL won't lose the extra miles without financial gain. Technically, DL played by their rules and no one was "screwed" in an illegal manner. However, they were indeed "screwed" by DL's new policy.

Really the only way to prevent that from happening again is to change carriers and hope they don't institute the same system that's stacked in their favor.

DL offers full F and Y fares which are fully refundable. If you find a better deal somewhere, just cancel for a full refund and purchase the new ticket. No fees, penalties or anything.
That's another false choice excuse for the airline. The airline has the market power to charge well above the vast majority's maximum acceptable price for a refundable ticket, and it's for the primary benefit of "locking in" the revenue, with the side benefit of enhancing the effectiveness of outrageous change fees. So there really is no choice at all for the vast majority. There's no refundable ticket option. It's either buy a nonrefundable ticket and take your chances, or it's not go at all.

I'd probably do it too if I could in my line of business, but it is a pretty disgusting way to treat consumers, if I say so myself.

Search this Thread