Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Boeing Sky Interior DL 737-900/757-200 Air Vents

Old Jul 9, 17, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AAdvantage, US Airways Dividend Miles (Fmr), Northwest WorldPerks (Fmr)

Am I the only one to notice how awful the gaspers/air vents on the BSI-equipped airplanes are? I've flown a few 739s and a couple updated 757s and they're next to worthless on a hot day; the cabin was sweltering on DL 2439 DAB-ATL on Friday with only a trickle of an air stream coming out because of the tiny vent.

I Tweeted Delta to point this out and got the standard "We'll point this out to Leadership" reply. Hopefully, they do something about it- it's almost like they're cheaping out on the air flow at this point.
Old Jul 9, 17, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, RC/MR/SPG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JSprague24 View Post
Am I the only one to notice how awful the gaspers/air vents on the BSI-equipped airplanes are? I've flown a few 739s and a couple updated 757s and they're next to worthless on a hot day; the cabin was sweltering on DL 2439 DAB-ATL on Friday with only a trickle of an air stream coming out because of the tiny vent.

I Tweeted Delta to point this out and got the standard "We'll point this out to Leadership" reply. Hopefully, they do something about it- it's almost like they're cheaping out on the air flow at this point.
No you aren't the only one. They suck. Not sure what was wrong with the old style ones that actually blow air. As if the 739s needed any more of a reason not to fly it.

Haven't seen these on a 757 yet, unfortunate that they're being added.
Old Jul 9, 17, 7:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
No you aren't the only one. They suck. Not sure what was wrong with the old style ones that actually blow air. As if the 739s needed any more of a reason not to fly it.

Haven't seen these on a 757 yet, unfortunate that they're being added.
The 757 interior is exactly like the 739. I don't think there is much to like about the refurbed 757s IMO.
Old Jul 9, 17, 9:02 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, 2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR View Post
The 757 interior is exactly like the 739. I don't think there is much to like about the refurbed 757s IMO.
Agreed. Although the biggest concern to me is the air vents...even during the winter time I got hot!
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 17, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
This... especially the smaller F cabin with the mini C+ behind it. The 757 used to be wonderful with the F cabin left turn and subsequent fast deplaning... now you get stuck there while watching both sections of C+ leave before you get a chance to move.

Anyway, also agree on the gaspers. Those vents when full open are at best a gently breeze. The system has very little air pressure now.
Old Jul 10, 17, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL-DM (MM), Marriott Bonvoy Amb, Hertz-PC
Wait until you fly Biz class on an AF A380...there are NO air vents!
Old Jul 10, 17, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by BHammy View Post
Even their new/refurbed 777s don't have any individual air vents. It's not too bad...

I found the air vents satisfactory on the 75S, but I did notice they seemed weaker than the 767s (never been on a 739).
Old Jul 10, 17, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat., Marriott Plat., SPG Plat., IHG Spire Elite/Royal Ambassador
The same vents are on the B787s also, and yet they seem to work better on them than on the B737/B752/B753s. Not sure why this is the case, but I've flown on AI/BA/UA and VS B787s with no problems.
Old Jul 10, 17, 8:48 pm

Programs: Delta PM (no bag tags) United nope, IHG Spire, Hertz frustrated
It's Delta

I'll go so far as to say this is a Delta issue. I've complained to Delta on 11 of the 12 Delta 739's I've been on. I've flown on 6 different United 739s and have not noticed the stuffy, stale cabin air on any of them. I find it so bad that I, like others, subscribe to the tag line "If it's a Delta 739 Boeing, I'm not going. I've also been told the captain controls the temp knob. I've given the smiley captain at deplaning an ear full the times I got stuck on one (that is, before I invoked the Delta-Boeing-not-going clause). If a DL 739 is scheduled, like MSP-SEA typically is, I won't be building any MQMs on that trip as it will be made on Sun Country, WN or United.
moondog likes this.
Old Jul 10, 17, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Old Jul 10, 17, 11:47 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
I noticed this as well with the 739 and new 757. The vents are hardly blowing anything. I do not like the new style vents on the BSI interior either, but I haven't noticed a lack of air blowing through them on other carriers.
Old Jul 11, 17, 11:20 am

Programs: DL PM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerWx View Post
...I found the air vents satisfactory on the 75S, but I did notice they seemed weaker than the 767s (never been on a 739).
Sigh. I wish I could say that...
Old Jul 12, 17, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AAdvantage, US Airways Dividend Miles (Fmr), Northwest WorldPerks (Fmr)
The only thing about the refurbed 757s I like is that it means the 757 has a few years left in service at least. I'm totally fine with that airplane.

739? I have to go to LAS in September and I'm seeking alternate options.
Old Jul 12, 17, 3:47 pm

I was on 2 757s yesterday with BSI. You know its bad when the one of the pilots is greeting passengers at 2L as they board the plane, because that's the only place the a/c was working. The second one just couldn't keep the aircraft at a consistent temp. The FAs were constantly trying to adjust the temperature up and down and were so apologetic. The crews seem pretty aware and frustrated by the issue so hopefully that can create some internal pressure to sort things out.
Old Jul 12, 17, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Flew CDG-LAX on the A380 in 2015 in C. It was miserably hot and the Euros on the plane were actually under the blankets to sleep. My wife who is never cold was warm.

Ended up putting ice down the back of my shirt to cool down.
Long 11 hours in an aluminum inferno.

Search this Thread