Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Earning points on DL stock but AF metal

Earning points on DL stock but AF metal

Old Jul 8, 17, 3:05 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Programs: DL - Diamond. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum. Starwoods - Lifetime Platinum
Posts: 192
Earning points on DL stock but AF metal

Hi all,

Couldn't find the search for thiis topic and was wondering. I bought a business class ticket on DL.com from Vancouver to Paris. It is Z class and a DL6850 flight operated by AF. Do I still get the MQD and MQM bonus on this flight? Or is it different when flying AF?

Kind regards,

-ok
ornulfkittelsen is offline  
Old Jul 8, 17, 3:07 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: DCA
Programs: AA Gold, DL PM, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 5,967
Originally Posted by ornulfkittelsen View Post
Hi all,

Couldn't find the search for thiis topic and was wondering. I bought a business class ticket on DL.com from Vancouver to Paris. It is Z class and a DL6850 flight operated by AF. Do I still get the MQD and MQM bonus on this flight? Or is it different when flying AF?

Kind regards,

-ok
Since DL sold the ticket, and the flight has a DL flight number, you'll earn full MQMs and MQDs.
KDCAflyer is offline  
Old Jul 8, 17, 6:36 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 19,212
Originally Posted by WWads View Post
Since DL sold the ticket, and the flight has a DL flight number, you'll earn full MQMs and MQDs.
However at the DL rate, even though flying AF.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Jul 8, 17, 8:11 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: DCA
Programs: AA Gold, DL PM, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 5,967
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
However at the DL rate, even though flying AF.
That's what full MQMs and MQDs implies.
KDCAflyer is offline  
Old Jul 8, 17, 8:48 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: YYF/YLW
Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
Posts: 5,261
Originally Posted by ornulfkittelsen View Post
It is Z class and a DL6850 flight operated by AF. Do I still get the MQD and MQM bonus on this flight? Or is it different when flying AF?
What does "MQD bonus" mean? Your MQDs will be the cost of the ticket less government-imposed taxes and fees because it's a DL ticket.

Originally Posted by WWads View Post
That's what full MQMs and MQDs implies.
Well, MQMs earned on AF-marketed flights are the same as the corresponding fare classes on DL, so full MQMs either way. And MQDs are often higher with the mileage multipliers than the actual fare paid. (No idea if that's often true in paid business class; I always fly discount economy.)
ashill is offline  
Old Jul 9, 17, 1:34 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SJC
Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Posts: 3,201
Originally Posted by ashill View Post
Well, MQMs earned on AF-marketed flights are the same as the corresponding fare classes on DL, so full MQMs either way. And MQDs are often higher with the mileage multipliers than the actual fare paid. (No idea if that's often true in paid business class; I always fly discount economy.)
I don't think there is a multiplier for MQD. It's simply the fare minus the taxes.
SJC ORD LDR is offline  
Old Jul 9, 17, 9:52 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 24,286
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR View Post
I don't think there is a multiplier for MQD. It's simply the fare minus the taxes.
Except when it's not the fare. Then it's a multiplier.
ijgordon is offline  
Old Jul 10, 17, 7:07 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Programs: Delta Skymiles, United Mileage Plus, Marriott Lifetime Silver, SPG Platinum
Posts: 143
Not many people know this but most AF/KL only tickets can be sold on Delta stock. You'll come out ahead for RDMs.

Example I booked a KL flight from CGK-KUL which had no delta codeshares. Fare rules state it can be ticketed on mostly any skyteam stock. I've seen then for most KL/DL/AF flights most likely because of the JV their fare rules allow you to do this.

The only other reason to use DL #s is if you want to use a global or you have a domestic segment in the US and want to be higher on the upgrade list.

You'll have to call Delta if you want to ticket it this way
keneshhagard is offline  
Old Jul 10, 17, 10:16 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SJC
Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Posts: 3,201
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Except when it's not the fare. Then it's a multiplier.
If it is a 006 ticket, I don't think it's a multiplier.

This is from DL's page on earning with AF.

(3) Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs) apply to Medallion qualification. Flights marketed and ticketed by the partner will earn MQDs based on a percentage of distance flown* as determined by the fare class paid.
SJC ORD LDR is offline  
Old Jul 11, 17, 3:12 pm
  #10  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Posts: 6,334
Originally Posted by keneshhagard View Post
Not many people know this but most AF/KL only tickets can be sold on Delta stock. You'll come out ahead for RDMs.

Example I booked a KL flight from CGK-KUL which had no delta codeshares. Fare rules state it can be ticketed on mostly any skyteam stock. I've seen then for most KL/DL/AF flights most likely because of the JV their fare rules allow you to do this.

The only other reason to use DL #s is if you want to use a global or you have a domestic segment in the US and want to be higher on the upgrade list.

You'll have to call Delta if you want to ticket it this way
Are you saying you can use a Delta global upgrade certificate on another carrier's flight? I know there are provisions for Air France, KLM and even Virgin Atlantic, but I know there are also limitations.
hockeyinsider is offline  
Old Oct 28, 17, 6:23 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Programs: Delta Skymiles, United Mileage Plus, Marriott Lifetime Silver, SPG Platinum
Posts: 143
You can only use a GUC on a DL Marketed flight, but operated by VS, KL, AF with the restrictions they have (and certain AM flights).
keneshhagard is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: