Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When Comfort Plus is Uncomfort Plus

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I hold the attitude that the tradeoff of picking the aisle seat is that you have to get up to let other passengers out. No one should have a bad attitude about it, unless it becomes excessive.
ChinaShrek and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
So it happened again, and this time I didn't realize the person next to me was immobile until I was 30,000 feet in the air had my bladder was ready to explode.

Apparently, the lady that sat next to me needed assistance to get out of her seat. I didn't even notice how she got into the seat or if she was helped I know she boarded after me. I guess I was too busy reading insta gram or something.

Lucky for me, when the FA and I started to help her out the seat, her daughter who was in coach came and assisted. FA later told me that the GAs upgraded all the wheelchair people to first because myself and 1 other were the only paid pax in 1st. Really wish the GA would have given her an empty row. I was in 2A and she was in 2B. All rows in 1st except mine had 1 person. With the exception of row 1 seats A - D which were all empty.

I need to start taking the aisle, especially on this JFK SDQ route. Even though I love the window too much trouble for my aging bladder and the number of disabled passengers that tend to be on this flight.
Weren't there any elites on the upgrade list?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Weren't there any elites on the upgrade list?
No, I remember seeing 0 people on UG list and 1 on standby if I recall correctly. It's typically an elite lite flight.

But it is also typically a 1st class heavy flight so it's rare to see it with 1st empty but being that it was the 31st of December and traveling to the future that might have explained that.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Last Thursday, a packed flight LAX-SLC. Paid for C+. Got my aisle seat. A rather large gentleman takes the center seat. Armrest goes up, my shoulders are being pushed out. I have to sit sideways. A Red Coat comes by. I ask if something can be done. She says "he's not taking up half your seat." I say "but I can't sit straight." She says "Do you want me to take you off the flight?" I am floored at this. But, then the Red Coat herself was a POS, so she probably was upset that I dare ask about a fellow POS. I stayed where I was, twisted. And, the woman sitting in the window seat was squashed up against the wall. Coincidentally, across the aisle and one row back, there was a similar situation. The FA (NOT the Red Coat), moved that POS back to another seat - unfortunately, the man who replaced her ended up getting violently sick and vomited about an hour out. It was only a short flight, but my back was a mess the next day - try to stand for 8 hours with your back in pain...

So, I guess Delta's new standard is that a person must be taking half your seat before something will be done. In this case, "POS" has two meanings...
strickerj and Mahogany like this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by slidergirl
Last Thursday, a packed flight LAX-SLC. Paid for C+. Got my aisle seat. A rather large gentleman takes the center seat. Armrest goes up, my shoulders are being pushed out. I have to sit sideways. A Red Coat comes by. I ask if something can be done. She says "he's not taking up half your seat." I say "but I can't sit straight." She says "Do you want me to take you off the flight?" I am floored at this. But, then the Red Coat herself was a POS, so she probably was upset that I dare ask about a fellow POS. I stayed where I was, twisted. And, the woman sitting in the window seat was squashed up against the wall. Coincidentally, across the aisle and one row back, there was a similar situation. The FA (NOT the Red Coat), moved that POS back to another seat - unfortunately, the man who replaced her ended up getting violently sick and vomited about an hour out. It was only a short flight, but my back was a mess the next day - try to stand for 8 hours with your back in pain...

So, I guess Delta's new standard is that a person must be taking half your seat before something will be done. In this case, "POS" has two meanings...
Armrest stays down. Problem solved.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:29 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Last Thursday, a packed flight LAX-SLC. Paid for C+. Got my aisle seat. A rather large gentleman takes the center seat. Armrest goes up, my shoulders are being pushed out. I have to sit sideways. A Red Coat comes by. I ask if something can be done. She says "he's not taking up half your seat." I say "but I can't sit straight." She says "Do you want me to take you off the flight?" I am floored at this. But, then the Red Coat herself was a POS, so she probably was upset that I dare ask about a fellow POS. I stayed where I was, twisted. And, the woman sitting in the window seat was squashed up against the wall.
So the POS was in the middle seat and taking up 1/4 of each of the other 2 seats, wouldn't that constitute 1/2 of a seat?
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond

I wish I could say this was unbelievable, but sadly it isn't. If people can't fit or stay between the armrests why should that be someone else's problem? Even if the armrest is down why people think it is ok to spill into other's space is beyond me. Even if they aren't a POS, people do this all the time, I hate to be rude back and jam my elbows into people, but is that what we have to resort to now?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Please report this to DL. The redcoat should have found a solution once the situation was brought to her attention.
defrosted likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 4:43 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card

I've been told (by customer care) that Delta does NOT have ANY policy on passengers of size, and that FAs and GAs are expressly prohibited from approaching POSs to ask them to buy a 2nd seat. Basically you're just screwed, if there's no other seat on the plane you can get off and take the next one or you can deal with it.

I would recommend you file a complaint, let them try to throw some miles at you, and push back on them.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 4:45 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Please report this to DL. The redcoat should have found a solution once the situation was brought to her attention.
Delta's position is that the red coat DID find a "solution" (from their point of view), i.e. tell the customer that delta isn't going to do jack about it and that his options are to deal with it or get off the plane.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:02 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
A couple months ago - my wife was on a flight and seated on aisle in Exit row. POS in middle seat asked FA for a seat belt extender. FA told POS that they can't provide that for someone in Exit row. POS then struggled to lift body parts to get seat belt clipped. This still left both people on either side without arm rests and pushed to the side. Mid flight, my wife talked to a deadheading pilot in the back by the lav to ask about how this should be acceptable on a flight and even more in an Exit row. He said he couldn't do anything about it and my wife said she didn't want to cause a scene. A few minutes late, a FA came up to her and loudly asked what the problem was. Wife went up to the galley to have the conversation in private. Bottom line was that my wife just needed to deal with it and that if she had complained before takeoff, she would have been taken off and put on another flight as the POS would have been accommodated.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by wlau
On long hauls, I rather take the main cabin bulkhead seats over C+.
hell na. at B763ER middle section you cannot extend your leg because of the wall.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:11 am
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tomphot
A couple months ago - my wife was on a flight and seated on aisle in Exit row. POS in middle seat asked FA for a seat belt extender. FA told POS that they can't provide that for someone in Exit row. POS then struggled to lift body parts to get seat belt clipped. This still left both people on either side without arm rests and pushed to the side. Mid flight, my wife talked to a deadheading pilot in the back by the lav to ask about how this should be acceptable on a flight and even more in an Exit row. He said he couldn't do anything about it and my wife said she didn't want to cause a scene. A few minutes late, a FA came up to her and loudly asked what the problem was. Wife went up to the galley to have the conversation in private. Bottom line was that my wife just needed to deal with it and that if she had complained before takeoff, she would have been taken off and put on another flight as the POS would have been accommodated.
if it happened like that and the FA initiated the conversation with your wife unprompted (assuming the pilot mentioned it to her) I would file a complaint about the FA
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:21 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
So I have a friend who is VERY tall who HAS to purchase F seats when he flies as that is the only way he can physically fit in the seat. He is thin and in shape, but obviously has VERY long legs. If F is not available he books into an exit row seat on purpose, any other Y seat you would physically have to physically jam him in the seat .

My point here? He knows what he can fit in, and plans accordingly. Why cant people who are too large to fit in a standard Y seat as considerate as he is?

Sometimes in F I sit next to a person of size and I think 'at least they are considerate to others" but it seems like they are in the vast minority of people.....
dmarge18 and Mahogany like this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Maybe it’s the routes I fly but C+ is often filled with larger people (not needing seatbelt extenders or anything just heavyset, overweight passengers). I know it’s anecdotal but I avoid C+ most of the time.
I only do the C+ “upgrade” when I have a companion and it’s an MD or 717 when I can get the 2 seats to ourselves.
Troppy likes this.

Last edited by apodo77; Jun 28, 2018 at 11:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.