Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When Comfort Plus is Uncomfort Plus

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Originally Posted by apodo77
See something similar on the "miracle flight" PBI-LGA in snowbird season.
18 preboard wheelchairs at PBI and only a couple upon landing in LGA.
It's called inflight healing.

Don't know why they even need the wheelchairs, "pre-boarding" consists of half the airplane these days.

One day I counted 30 people board before me (I was in F)
Old Jul 7, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by WWads
If someone is intruding that much into your seat, you have to let the FA know before departure. You would have been within your rights to be re-seated, or in the case of a sold-out flight, the fat guy should have been off-loaded.

The test here is whether the armrest can be lowered. If it can't be, the above options apply.

Not entirely true. If the OP could not be reseated he would be given the option to take an alternate flight. The POS would not be offloaded.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat
I never brought this to the attention of the FA (by the way who kinda of shrugged her shoulders when I looked at her when I first boarded the plane and became aware of what I was going to be squeezed into).

1. Because I was afraid to embarrass the individual next to me.
2. I really needed to get back to NY before today, and was aware that flights today into JFK might be canceled (Had seen a weather waiver for today).

But the ordeal became worst when I seated in row 11, was literally the 2nd to the last person off the plane because we had to wait for a wheelchair, and I wasn't going to climb over them again.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by WWads
The test here is whether the armrest can be lowered. If it can't be, the above options apply.
Agree. I'm a "customer of size" but I am proactive, and when I board I make sure the armrest goes all the way down as soon as I sit. Your neighbor did not do this, or did and didn't speak up because it was going to cost him money. Ultimately the onus unfortunately falls upon you to talk to the FA next time.

I have to admit though, I prefer it this way and I avoid Southwest because their FAs are overly proactive and I don't feel like dealing with them making a scene even though I'd ultimately be vindicated.

Originally Posted by flightattendantsteve
Not entirely true. If the OP could not be reseated he would be given the option to take an alternate flight. The POS would not be offloaded.
Why do you think that's the case? Because the POS was with dad? The CoC says he needs to buy two seats and they weren't available for him.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by tkelsay
Last year I had more occurrences than not which looked exactly like yours. Unfortunately the general population just gets fatter and fatter so I stopped putting up with it and starting buying FC.
More occurrences than not? Wow. You must be flying exclusively SAT-ATL.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: NEXUS, Aeroplan, SkyMiles, WestJet, IHG Platinum, IC Ambassador
Originally Posted by CJKatl
<snip>
A maintenance worker came up the ladder and asked the issue. The pilot explained. The maintenance man said, "Why don't you move the broad man next to the empty seat?" As luck would have it, an off duty DL employee was sitting there, made the switch and we were off. And we learned the right person was doing maintenance.
That little gem of a punchline just made my afternoon. Please tell me that you stayed completely deadpan as you typed it.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I never brought this to the attention of the FA (by the way who kinda of shrugged her shoulders when I looked at her when I first boarded the plane and became aware of what I was going to be squeezed into).

1. Because I was afraid to embarrass the individual next to me.
2. I really needed to get back to NY before today, and was aware that flights today into JFK might be canceled (Had seen a weather waiver for today).

But the ordeal became worst when I seated in row 11, was literally the 2nd to the last person off the plane because we had to wait for a wheelchair, and I wasn't going to climb over them again.
I wouldn't worry at all about #1 and have had to point this out to a FA before. It's not fun but my seat is my seat and I want all of it.
Mahogany likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Croptop
That little gem of a punchline just made my afternoon. Please tell me that you stayed completely deadpan as you typed it.
Deadpan.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
Originally Posted by chollie
The chubby model was sitting next to a complete arse.

Look at the photos. At no time was she in his space. He has manspread into her area and he not only took the arm rest, he extended into her area. He's a drunk, aggressive slob.

OP, number one rule: never take off if the arm rest isn't down. I have actually put the flight magazines upright alongside the armrest to further make it clear where my space starts. I will surrender an arm rest but I will not allow someone to stick elbows and knees into my personal space. Putting a magazine there also helps with the under-armrest expansion into my space.
Also possible she moved aside for her pics to shame him back, but those weren't how she was sitting originally.

I don't think either side covered themselves in glory, tbh.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
The chubby model was sitting next to a complete arse.

Look at the photos. At no time was she in his space. He has manspread into her area and he not only took the arm rest, he extended into her area. He's a drunk, aggressive slob.

OP, number one rule: never take off if the arm rest isn't down. I have actually put the flight magazines upright alongside the armrest to further make it clear where my space starts. I will surrender an arm rest but I will not allow someone to stick elbows and knees into my personal space. Putting a magazine there also helps with the under-armrest expansion into my space.
The fat woman could have not read his text messages and it would've been fine.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I am just not sure if I should complain to delta about the individual next to me invading a quarter of my seat. Any suggestions.
As much as I loathe the "hey, a large/fat/wide/whatever person got stuck next to me" threads, OP did have a question, i.e., whether there were suggestions on if OP should complain to DL. So let's tackle that.

IMO, OP should not complain to DL because OP didn't say anything to the FA on the flight. OP didn't give DL a chance to make it right in the moment. I liken it to a situation with a hotel where someone gets a room with a broken AC unit and then waits until after check out to complain, write a bad review, or expect that the hotel give them a discount or some form of compensation. That person never gave the hotel the chance to remedy the situation.

OP stated that it was a totally full flight, implying that there was nothing the FA could do and that was a reason OP didn't say anything. OP also later said that not embarrassing the person was of some concern. However, OP also said he was in row 11 and boarded with SKY. I seriously doubt OP had any idea whether the plane boarded full from a row 11 vantage point. OP could have easily discreetly informed the FA before he sat down (he says they made eye contact before he sat down "realizing" what he was about to "squeeze" into) and asked that if another seat was available to please let him know so that he could move or the other large guy could move.

Had OP done that, I think he could lodge a complaint if nothing else was available. Having not done that, or something similar, I think OP loses the right to complain to DL after the fact.

One last thing --- I don't think FA's should aggressively police this kind of stuff. They have no way of knowing who may be friends/family and traveling together. Perhaps the FA thought OP and his row-mates were all together and agreed to "squeeze" in to save money by not buying a 4th seat. That's why people need to actively tell the FA's if seatmate spillover is an issue.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
Good responses. Mrs. doglover was pinned in the same way once, fortunately for a relatively short flight.

We will be better prepared should this happen to either of us in the future.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
I have long said Comfort+ should be appropriately called Comfort Minus or Delta Minus Comfort. On long hauls, I rather take the main cabin bulkhead seats over C+. I have been on almost all of aircraft types Delta operate, C+ is only a few inches more (2-3) and on long haul flights, the alcohol is free for any cabin... the only middle C+ seat I will take on a pinch is the bulkhead row. On certain aircraft, you have C+ seats on exit rows, i.e, 767, and the seat padding is painfully thin on those exit rows.

Non-working headphone port or charging port is a norm on Delta. I am hitting those at about 1 out of 3 flights... On international, it's more like 3 out of 5 flights that have either headphone or charging port. The failure rate is SkyHigh on those old 767.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by MEMLawGuy

OP stated that it was a totally full flight, implying that there was nothing the FA could do and that was a reason OP didn't say anything. OP also later said that not embarrassing the person was of some concern. However, OP also said he was in row 11 and boarded with SKY. I seriously doubt OP had any idea whether the plane boarded full from a row 11 vantage point. OP could have easily discreetly informed the FA before he sat down (he says they made eye contact before he sat down "realizing" what he was about to "squeeze" into) and asked that if another seat was available to please let him know so that he could move or the other large guy could move.

Had OP done that, I think he could lodge a complaint if nothing else was available. Having not done that, or something similar, I think OP loses the right to complain to DL after the fact.
I somebody on trial here?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 6:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flightattendantsteve
I sure hope this isn't policy. The COS causes the problem, partly by failing to purchase the extra required seat. No innocent victim assigned next to a COS should be forced to choose between accepting an uncomfortable and potentially unsafe situation versus waiting for the next available flight, possibly being forced to pay for a hotel room.

IMO it's inexcusable not to offload the COS when there's a valid complaint and no extra seat has been purchased or can be purchased. It's ridiculous to let the COS game the system by failing to purchase the extra seat and hoping either that an extra seat will be made available for free or that extra space can be stolen from the seat purchased by some innocent stranger unlucky enough to be assigned to sit next to the COS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.