Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Reserve Companion Certifcate not booking all segments in FC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2017, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium

Planning to use my Reserve AmEx companion certificate for an upcoming trip - despite all of the legs having FC cabins, some of the legs will only book into Main Cabin. Has anyone run into this and had success calling or contacting DL and getting all legs booked into FC? On some of the flights all FC seats are available (yes, yes I know that seat maps don't mean someone hasn't booked a ticket in that cabin but not selected seats; however, I doubt that is the case for multiple flights).

Fortunately for the routes I'm looking at right now, FC would be available on the longer segments across the country and being in the main cabin for the short flights isn't a huge deal but one of the bummers is losing out on the MQMs by being booked into the main cabin and if I'm paying for FC I'd rather have first class on all segments.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 8:03 pm

Programs: DL PM
I saw this too recently. In my case at least, the problem was caused by the short legs being extensions of international flights, and hence it was pricing out as A (first class) on some segments and I (business class) on the others, and the system not accepting a combo of the two (all A ok, all I ok). After 30 mins on hold with the (new to me) companion ticket desk who was also working with manual reissue - no dice. I said thanks, I would just deal with it as it booked, and an hour later the same agent called back saying they were able to reissue it and force it into F for that segment.

Is there availability in A or I on those segments? The easiest answer is that there is no inventory in those buckets on those segments.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:30 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
There is already a thread on the AMEX companion certs.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...rtificate.html

Yes, I and others have seen it because it is not unusual. What you see is what they give you for a choice and that's it. I will tell you that flights change with time so you might get all FC at a later date.

Now that we can get upgrades I don't mind taking the MCO-ATL segment (typical for me) in coach, because I likely will get C+ right away and possibly FC at some point. Yes, it would be 250 less MQM, but the price and times might be very good.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 10:00 pm

Programs: DL/Marriott/Hilton/IHG Gold
It happened to me in June going to SFO. Going there was FC but for our return flight via DTW we were not booked FC. I called Delta and was told there were no more FC seats available.

Before the return flight, we were upgraded to FC though and being Diamond and Gold may have helped.

Last edited by ssyoon; Jul 4, 2017 at 10:02 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 4, 2017, 10:15 pm

It's a bit of a mixed bag, as when pricing those flights without the companion certificate, they typically price into P class, and aren't usually available at all...

But the computer's smart enough to see if there is A availability on some of the segments, and still offer it.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by j.bell
I saw this too recently. In my case at least, the problem was caused by the short legs being extensions of international flights, and hence it was pricing out as A (first class) on some segments and I (business class) on the others, and the system not accepting a combo of the two (all A ok, all I ok). After 30 mins on hold with the (new to me) companion ticket desk who was also working with manual reissue - no dice. I said thanks, I would just deal with it as it booked, and an hour later the same agent called back saying they were able to reissue it and force it into F for that segment.

Is there availability in A or I on those segments? The easiest answer is that there is no inventory in those buckets on those segments.
I think you may have found the culprit with the A vs. P. I checked regular bookings and only P was available for First all the way through (and was pricing about $400-$600 more than what the companion certificate was pricing with a mixed itinerary fare of A & L).

Figured I'd just suck it up, so I went ahead and booked. Thanks to the changes with companion certs I was upgraded to C+ on those legs and still have a shot at the FC upgrades.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I think you're right, and I had a similar case in May:

I booked a trip using the reserve Cert and it gave me a mix of L and A. Now, I didn't care in this case for a few reasons:

- The L was for JAX-ATL and ATL-JAX (45 minutes in flight)
- The JAX-ATL legs tend to be VERY expensive to book into F - not uncommon to see this 45 minute flight sold out in F (likely for people connecting)
- My final was BOS and that was confirmed in A
- Now that you can get upgraded via the Companion Certs (a new change), we actually got upgraded on the ATL-JAX leg anyway

There were options for me to get into all A or I (Can't remember which), but they were much more expensive. Couldn't justify the expense for 45 minutes.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PE
I have seen this and used my most recent cert that way since there was nothing available in all first. IIRC that was new this time around and the year before, you couldn't price out separate cabins at all.

Stupid that it will let you mix cabins but won't mix fare classes within the same (F) cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.