Check a Yeti Cooler?

Old Jul 4, 17, 4:41 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Posts: 1,589
Check a Yeti Cooler?

DM Traveling RIC-JFK-KEF in Y. I want to bring a Yeti 35 Quart cooler, preferably in the box, along as a second checked bag. The cooler is listed as 17 x 19 x 23 inches, not sure about the box it comes in (but will likely check at the store soon).

The cooler is a gift. Couple of questions -

1) Can it be checked unboxed?
2) Anyone think this is a bad idea, or will DL take reasonable care?
3) Do you think it's worth showing up with the box, seeing if they will check it, and if not take it out and check it unboxed?

I'd appreciate hearing of any similar experiences, thanks!

[added for clarity] Given the dimensions already add up to 59" I am assuming the box will take me over 62" normal baggage allowance, and mean to ask "Will Delta forgo the oversize bag fee ($200) on this box for a DM traveling to KEF?" Sorry for the lack of specificity.

Last edited by orca15; Jul 5, 17 at 10:14 am
orca15 is offline  
Old Jul 4, 17, 4:58 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 339
Originally Posted by orca15 View Post
DM Traveling RIC-JFK-KEF in Y. I want to bring a Yeti 35 Quart cooler, preferably in the box, along as a second checked bag. The cooler is listed as 17 x 19 x 23 inches, not sure about the box it comes in (but will likely check at the store soon).

The cooler is a gift. Couple of questions -

1) Can it be checked unboxed?
2) Anyone think this is a bad idea, or will DL take reasonable care?
3) Do you think it's worth showing up with the box, seeing if they will check it, and if not take it out and check it unboxed?

I'd appreciate hearing of any similar experiences, thanks!
I've never checked a yeti cooler or a cooler on DL, but I check coolers and have seen all types checked all the time on AS out of ANC (unboxed). Would be surprised if they don't take it. The bag tag just gets stuck completely to the side like on a box that's checked

In terms of reasonable care: if it really is that valuable, obviously I would say don't risk it. Last week I saw the baggage handlers throw a cardboard box with "fragile" marked everywhere about as hard as they could about 20 ft across the tarmac, and the guy next to me and I both kind of chuckled.
jk88usa is offline  
Old Jul 4, 17, 5:27 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SFO, SJC
Programs: DL G, UA G, IHG SA
Posts: 132
I would leave the cardboard on as another layer of protection and check it as a box. If you unbox it, DL will likely ask you to duct tape the cooler and make sure the cover won't pop open. It might cause more trouble and damage.
luek096 is offline  
Old Jul 4, 17, 6:20 pm
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Posts: 41,862
Can you just buy at your location, ship UPS, have the store ship it, or order from Amazon or somewhere? If it's a gift, I wouldn't risk it. I know you can check coolers that are unboxed, as Mr. Kipper has done that a few times, with gains from hunting trips, but we don't care how the coolers look after they reach us, just that all the meat makes it.
kipper is offline  
Old Jul 4, 17, 6:25 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Posts: 1,589
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
Can you just buy at your location, ship UPS, have the store ship it, or order from Amazon or somewhere? If it's a gift, I wouldn't risk it. I know you can check coolers that are unboxed, as Mr. Kipper has done that a few times, with gains from hunting trips, but we don't care how the coolers look after they reach us, just that all the meat makes it.
Shipping doesn't really make sense...it's going to Iceland and would incur a large shipping fee plus customs. I'm committed to check it.
orca15 is offline  
Old Jul 4, 17, 6:37 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Montana
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 98
Are you kidding? It's a Yeti! If it has a few battle scars, then so be it. I understand it's a gift, but a yeti cooler is much "cooler" with some history
Stygian7 is offline  
Old Jul 4, 17, 8:48 pm
  #7  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: Diamond, all of them.
Posts: 25
Question, why the need to mention that it was a Yeti cooler? Is that one of these "look at me" type of posts? Is there a difference in the handling of a Yeti cooler compared to say a coleman cooler?

I just love Yeti people. Nothing screams how awesome I am than Yeti!!

Give me a dime store styrofoam cooler for a Saturday tailgate or Friday night get together and life is good.
PreteniousFlyer is offline  
Old Jul 4, 17, 9:22 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Posts: 4,506
Originally Posted by PreteniousFlyer View Post
Question, why the need to mention that it was a Yeti cooler? Is that one of these "look at me" type of posts? Is there a difference in the handling of a Yeti cooler compared to say a coleman cooler?

I just love Yeti people. Nothing screams how awesome I am than Yeti!!

Give me a dime store styrofoam cooler for a Saturday tailgate or Friday night get together and life is good.
Entertaining post full of a lot of assumptions.
apodo77 is offline  
Old Jul 5, 17, 1:40 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: ATL
Programs: Delta Plat
Posts: 5,816
Originally Posted by apodo77 View Post
Entertaining post full of a lot of assumptions.
LOL

But my first thought was why give an ice cooler as a present to somebody living in Iceland. 😀
exwannabe is offline  
Old Jul 5, 17, 6:54 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Somewhere between here and there...
Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Posts: 11,536
Originally Posted by exwannabe View Post
LOL

But my first thought was why give an ice cooler as a present to somebody living in Iceland. 😀
A fair question, but, despite the name, do they not also keep things hot for along time?
tkey75 is offline  
Old Jul 5, 17, 7:07 am
  #11  
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: PIT
Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Posts: 15,408
Check a Yeti Cooler?

My first thought was . . . .

You're gonna check yer Aunt Yeti in as baggage?!?!?
davetravels is offline  
Old Jul 5, 17, 7:50 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The Sunshine State
Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Posts: 9,832
Originally Posted by PreteniousFlyer View Post
Is there a difference in the handling of a Yeti cooler compared to say a coleman cooler?
Yes. A person who buys a $300 Yeti instead of a $30 Coleman is treated differently because DYKWIA is the core of Delta customer service. Coleman coolers get delivered to the plane by a tractor pulling a cart. Yeti coolers get their own ride ride in a Porsche.
Flaflyer is offline  
Old Jul 5, 17, 7:52 am
  #13  
pvn
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MEM
Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Posts: 5,431
this thread should go to omni
pvn is offline  
Old Jul 5, 17, 8:12 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: DCA, LEX
Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
Posts: 359
Originally Posted by PreteniousFlyer View Post
Question, why the need to mention that it was a Yeti cooler? Is that one of these "look at me" type of posts? Is there a difference in the handling of a Yeti cooler compared to say a coleman cooler?

I just love Yeti people. Nothing screams how awesome I am than Yeti!!

Give me a dime store styrofoam cooler for a Saturday tailgate or Friday night get together and life is good.
When you are out on the water and need your fish to keep for 3-4 days, that dime store cooler is not going to last. Nice try.

Originally Posted by orca15 View Post
DM Traveling RIC-JFK-KEF in Y. I want to bring a Yeti 35 Quart cooler, preferably in the box, along as a second checked bag. The cooler is listed as 17 x 19 x 23 inches, not sure about the box it comes in (but will likely check at the store soon).

The cooler is a gift. Couple of questions -

1) Can it be checked unboxed?
2) Anyone think this is a bad idea, or will DL take reasonable care?
3) Do you think it's worth showing up with the box, seeing if they will check it, and if not take it out and check it unboxed?

I'd appreciate hearing of any similar experiences, thanks!
I would check it in the box. Note that the box about ~4-8 pounds to the weight, so the 35 QT will be well under 50 pounds.

The box is not unreasonably bigger than the cooler. There is a thin layer of styrofoam to protect it and thats all. FWIW, several sites selling Yetis offer free shipping on orders over XXX, which this will be.
DCFinanceinFlight is offline  
Old Jul 5, 17, 8:59 am
  #15  
pvn
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MEM
Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Posts: 5,431
Originally Posted by DCFinanceinFlight View Post
When you are out on the water and need your fish to keep for 3-4 days, that dime store cooler is not going to last. Nice try.
Good point, though that's probably less than 1% of what Yetis are actually used for in the real world. The vast majority of Yeti users would be better served by a styrofoam cooler that is smaller and lighter but use the Yeti anyway because they want to send signals. I mean, the guy even explicitly gave his use case and you moved the goalposts on him!
pvn is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: