Check a Yeti Cooler?

Old Jul 4, 17, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Check a Yeti Cooler?

DM Traveling RIC-JFK-KEF in Y. I want to bring a Yeti 35 Quart cooler, preferably in the box, along as a second checked bag. The cooler is listed as 17 x 19 x 23 inches, not sure about the box it comes in (but will likely check at the store soon).

The cooler is a gift. Couple of questions -

1) Can it be checked unboxed?
2) Anyone think this is a bad idea, or will DL take reasonable care?
3) Do you think it's worth showing up with the box, seeing if they will check it, and if not take it out and check it unboxed?

I'd appreciate hearing of any similar experiences, thanks!

[added for clarity] Given the dimensions already add up to 59" I am assuming the box will take me over 62" normal baggage allowance, and mean to ask "Will Delta forgo the oversize bag fee ($200) on this box for a DM traveling to KEF?" Sorry for the lack of specificity.

Last edited by orca15; Jul 5, 17 at 10:14 am
Old Jul 4, 17, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by orca15 View Post
DM Traveling RIC-JFK-KEF in Y. I want to bring a Yeti 35 Quart cooler, preferably in the box, along as a second checked bag. The cooler is listed as 17 x 19 x 23 inches, not sure about the box it comes in (but will likely check at the store soon).

3) Do you think it's worth showing up with the box, seeing if they will check it, and if not take it out and check it unboxed?

I've never checked a yeti cooler or a cooler on DL, but I check coolers and have seen all types checked all the time on AS out of ANC (unboxed). Would be surprised if they don't take it. The bag tag just gets stuck completely to the side like on a box that's checked

In terms of reasonable care: if it really is that valuable, obviously I would say don't risk it. Last week I saw the baggage handlers throw a cardboard box with "fragile" marked everywhere about as hard as they could about 20 ft across the tarmac, and the guy next to me and I both kind of chuckled.
Old Jul 4, 17, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL G, UA G, IHG SA
I would leave the cardboard on as another layer of protection and check it as a box. If you unbox it, DL will likely ask you to duct tape the cooler and make sure the cover won't pop open. It might cause more trouble and damage.
Old Jul 4, 17, 6:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Can you just buy at your location, ship UPS, have the store ship it, or order from Amazon or somewhere? If it's a gift, I wouldn't risk it. I know you can check coolers that are unboxed, as Mr. Kipper has done that a few times, with gains from hunting trips, but we don't care how the coolers look after they reach us, just that all the meat makes it.
Old Jul 4, 17, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
Can you just buy at your location, ship UPS, have the store ship it, or order from Amazon or somewhere? If it's a gift, I wouldn't risk it. I know you can check coolers that are unboxed, as Mr. Kipper has done that a few times, with gains from hunting trips, but we don't care how the coolers look after they reach us, just that all the meat makes it.
Shipping doesn't really make sense...it's going to Iceland and would incur a large shipping fee plus customs. I'm committed to check it.
Old Jul 4, 17, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL DM
Are you kidding? It's a Yeti! If it has a few battle scars, then so be it. I understand it's a gift, but a yeti cooler is much "cooler" with some history
Old Jul 4, 17, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Diamond, all of them.
Question, why the need to mention that it was a Yeti cooler? Is that one of these "look at me" type of posts? Is there a difference in the handling of a Yeti cooler compared to say a coleman cooler?

I just love Yeti people. Nothing screams how awesome I am than Yeti!!

Give me a dime store styrofoam cooler for a Saturday tailgate or Friday night get together and life is good.
Old Jul 4, 17, 9:22 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by PreteniousFlyer View Post
Question, why the need to mention that it was a Yeti cooler? Is that one of these "look at me" type of posts? Is there a difference in the handling of a Yeti cooler compared to say a coleman cooler?

Give me a dime store styrofoam cooler for a Saturday tailgate or Friday night get together and life is good.
Entertaining post full of a lot of assumptions.
Old Jul 5, 17, 1:40 am

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by apodo77 View Post
Entertaining post full of a lot of assumptions.
LOL

But my first thought was why give an ice cooler as a present to somebody living in Iceland. 😀
Old Jul 5, 17, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by exwannabe View Post
LOL

But my first thought was why give an ice cooler as a present to somebody living in Iceland. 😀
A fair question, but, despite the name, do they not also keep things hot for along time?
Old Jul 5, 17, 7:07 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Check a Yeti Cooler?

My first thought was . . . .

You're gonna check yer Aunt Yeti in as baggage?!?!?
Old Jul 5, 17, 7:50 am

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Is there a difference in the handling of a Yeti cooler compared to say a coleman cooler?
Yes. A person who buys a $300 Yeti instead of a $30 Coleman is treated differently because DYKWIA is the core of Delta customer service. Coleman coolers get delivered to the plane by a tractor pulling a cart. Yeti coolers get their own ride ride in a Porsche.
Old Jul 5, 17, 7:52 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
this thread should go to omni
Old Jul 5, 17, 8:12 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund

When you are out on the water and need your fish to keep for 3-4 days, that dime store cooler is not going to last. Nice try.

Originally Posted by orca15 View Post

I would check it in the box. Note that the box about ~4-8 pounds to the weight, so the 35 QT will be well under 50 pounds.

The box is not unreasonably bigger than the cooler. There is a thin layer of styrofoam to protect it and thats all. FWIW, several sites selling Yetis offer free shipping on orders over XXX, which this will be.
Old Jul 5, 17, 8:59 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by DCFinanceinFlight View Post
When you are out on the water and need your fish to keep for 3-4 days, that dime store cooler is not going to last. Nice try.
Good point, though that's probably less than 1% of what Yetis are actually used for in the real world. The vast majority of Yeti users would be better served by a styrofoam cooler that is smaller and lighter but use the Yeti anyway because they want to send signals. I mean, the guy even explicitly gave his use case and you moved the goalposts on him!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: