Wiki Posts
Search

Transit in SVO, missed luggage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2017, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL; MileagePlus; other airlines
Transit in SVO, missed luggage

was flying Delta JFK to TLV, with a connection in SVO on July 1. Flight out of JFK was super delayed, which causes a missed connection in SVO. Naturally, the bag wasn't transferred. SVO isn't responding to any baggage requests, is there anything that can be done to try and find it? I have a family with three kids without luggage now for a fourth day.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kvolvo
was flying Delta JFK to TLV, with a connection in SVO on July 1...........SVO isn't responding to any baggage requests.....
If I read it correctly SVO is your connecting point not destination. You should follow up with your destination station, TLV, not SVO. I hope you had filed a baggage irregularity report at TLV, if not do so immediately. TLV is the station responsible for tracing your baggage. Good luck.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Agree with TerryK. Which airline did you fly with SVO to TLV? as that airline would be responsible for the baggage.

Good luck

Regards

TBS
Old Jul 4, 2017, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Of course filled out the report at TLV, but SU - the final carrier - isn't even acknowledging requests for info. IM pretty hopeless at this point.

Agree with TerryK. Which airline did you fly with SVO to TLV? as that airline would be responsible for the baggage.

Good luck

Regards

TBS
Old Jul 4, 2017, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Tlv keeps sending requests to Moscow for their indormation, to no avail. NOone seems to know anything or care to try and find out.
Originally Posted by TerryK
If I read it correctly SVO is your connecting point not destination. You should follow up with your destination station, TLV, not SVO. I hope you had filed a baggage irregularity report at TLV, if not do so immediately. TLV is the station responsible for tracing your baggage. Good luck.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:11 pm

Presumably TLV is not your home airport, you should have no issues buying essential items and clothings for Delta (or whichever airline you flew with from SVO to TLV) to reimburse later. Remember to keep receipts.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:34 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I agree with the other posters...whatever airline got you to TLV is responsible for this, guessing SU. I can't say enough great things about SU, however, I won't give them praise when it comes to delayed/lost luggage. Good luck and save your receipts!
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:43 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Call ... the ... airline ... that ... flew ... you ... to ...TLV.

I do not understand these comments about airports. It is not up the airport. It is up to the final carrier.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 10:44 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Call ... the ... airline ... that ... flew ... you ... to ...TLV.

I do not understand these comments about airports. It is not up the airport. It is up to the final carrier.
In Post #4 the OP indicates SU, the final carrier, will not communicate with him. He is asking if anyone can suggest an alternative. What you suggest in your first sentence is exactly what is not working.

If possible, shlep out to TLV and talk to an SU rep in person. You shouldn't have to, as it is a time consuming, expensive ride, but showing up at the airport has worked for me when all else has failed in the past.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 7:22 am

I have to ask, why on earth would you book a connection through SVO to TLV when there are multiple non stops options out of NYC on 3 different airlines.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jeff767
I have to ask, why on earth would you book a connection through SVO to TLV when there are multiple non stops options out of NYC on 3 different airlines.
SU is often the cheapest.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: AA, DL, Hyatt, Hilton
Just wanted to let you know that this happened to me a few years ago when flying LAX - SVO - SIP.

I was able to get my luggage shipped out the next day for my pickup at the SIP airport.

What helped me was reaching out to SU representatives in Russian - you need someone to complain to them in their own language.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Just did it a few weeks ago: <$650 r/t versus $2,600+ on DL, which included a stop in CDG anyway.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm confused as DL does not fly from SVO to TLV. My guess is that the OP connected from DL to SU, so that SU's baggage service (or their ground handler at TLV) would be responsible for finding the bag and having it delivered. OTOH, perhaps this leg was flown on EL AL, in which case they would be responsible. I guess we can assume that this was one ticket/PNR and the bag was checked through. I assume DL interlines with El Al.

IME when an international connection is missed and the passenger is rebooked at the connecting foreign airport, the agent handling the rebooking asks to see the checked bag claim tickets. Was this done at SVO, and was the OP rebooked onto the same carrier for the SVO-TLV leg?

Or could the OP have been rebooked before leaving JFK, when it became obvious that the connection would be missed due to the delay? In that case, DL will sometimes try to find and re-tag the checked bags, but this can be difficult.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
A lot of times SU provides the only DL SM awards available. Im booked JFK-SVO-BKK coming up. For TLV especially, SU from SVO comes up frequently. Unless you want to pay massive mileage for DL nonstop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.