Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta releases documentary highlighting ME3 subsidies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta releases documentary highlighting ME3 subsidies

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Surprises me this thread is allowed to continue with the amount of blatant racism in it.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
What's your problem? Al-Baker is 100% correct, again.
Agreed. Some people seem to hate it when the truth is unkind to their warped sense of reality.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
I must have missed the part in the documentary about all the subsidies DL have and continues to receive... fuel tax breaks, bankruptcy protection, dumping pension obligations on the government. As Paki81 notes, if DL had a better product, more people would fly them. Give it up DL, stop acting and whining like a 2 year old.
+1
And don't forget the half billion dollars Delta got from the taxpayers after 9/11 and the cabotage laws that prevent international airlines from transporting passengers within the USA
Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:26 am

Programs: gate lice
Originally Posted by tuolumne
Looks like little Napoleon is still at it. Sickening to listen to.

Akbar Al Baker You are being served by grandmothers on American carriers - YouTube
Oh, come on.

Akbar Al-Baker doesn't sound that much worse than the current occupant of the Oval Office. Oh, he also apologized for the "grandmothers" comment a week ago.

As crude as his statements are, Al-Baker's not wrong. I'm going to get a lot of flak for this, but the relatively young age of his FAs are probably yet another free market decision: the halo effect is well-documented. Attractiveness can subliminally influence the impressions of others in a positive direction, particularly in the customer service arena. That's just how it is.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by leungy18
Oh, come on.

Akbar Al-Baker doesn't sound that much worse than the current occupant of the Oval Office. Oh, he also apologized for the "grandmothers" comment a week ago.

As crude as his statements are, Al-Baker's not wrong. I'm going to get a lot of flak for this, but the relatively young age of his FAs are probably yet another free market decision: the halo effect is well-documented. Attractiveness can subliminally influence the impressions of others in a positive direction, particularly in the customer service arena. That's just how it is.
I would say the hiring approach of the ME3 (and other airlines) provides a greatest benefit from a cost perspective. Rather than offering a career track like the US (or European) legacies, FAs are hired with set contracts and often leave the airline after 3-5 years. Many staff approach the job as an opportunity to take several years to see the world. The greater turnover keeps enthusiasm high and costs lower.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:49 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
What is not clear to me .... is why Delta thinks I should believe that QR is getting all sorts of subsidies when nearly every QR (or Emirates/Etihad) flight I price is more expensive than other national/legacy carrier (this is for J).

If anything, I'm willingly paying a premium to fly these better airlines.....
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifetime
In the past year I've flown the ME3 carriers, Turkish, Aeroflot, El Al and Vietnam. DL has fallen very far behind on its economy product compared to those state owned and/or financed carriers. I've also flown Korean, KLM, AirFrance, British and various Asian LCCs. DL would be equal to those. On a recent flight to TLV, DL would have been $2,600 while Aeroflot was well under $1,000. Aeroflot was fantastic, with more distance between the seats, better service and even better blankets.

I agree, lets get more state owned airlines so w can get low fares. Come to think of it. lets get state owned gas and oil and food supplies.

Worked well in Venezuela
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: gate lice
Originally Posted by tuono07
In the past year I've flown the ME3 carriers, Turkish, Aeroflot, El Al and Vietnam. DL has fallen very far behind on its economy product compared to those state owned and/or financed carriers. I've also flown Korean, KLM, AirFrance, British and various Asian LCCs. DL would be equal to those. On a recent flight to TLV, DL would have been $2,600 while Aeroflot was well under $1,000. Aeroflot was fantastic, with more distance between the seats, better service and even better blankets.

I agree, lets get more state owned airlines so w can get low fares. Come to think of it. lets get state owned gas and oil and food supplies.

Worked well in Venezuela
What you're implying is utter nonsense. If some rich oil sheikh wants to subsidize my travel, that's great. The UAE and Qatar manage their economies far better than Venezuela does, and you know it.

The service on Korean, and Asian carriers overall -- nine out of ten times is superior to what I get on the US3.

I personally find ME3 prices to be higher than most of their competitors, in fact. The reality is that ME3 have grown rapidly because they're very close to two highly populated countries called India and China, both of whom have averaged annual GDP growth of around 6-8% over the last couple decades. They've implemented the hub-and-spoke model extremely efficiently.

State-owned or not, what consumers want is competition. If only foreign airlines could start flying domestic routes...
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by pbarnette
This campaign isn't aimed at the general public. I continue to be unclear as to why that concept is so hard for FTers to understand.
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Ummm... Politicians and regulators. Employees to some extent. Heck, the press release includes the following:

Quote:
Delta has urged employees to watch the video, share it with friends and family, and join Delta in asking the U.S. government to take action.

Like I said, I continue to be unclear why many FTers have so much trouble grasping the obvious. The end game is not to get flyers to boycott the ME3 and never has been. The end game is to get the US government to limit their ability to fly to the US.
In my FTer sized understanding Friends and Family that do not work for Delta are General Public.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.