Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta releases documentary highlighting ME3 subsidies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta releases documentary highlighting ME3 subsidies

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by fly18725
Well, the US airlines can't fire their FAs if they wear the wrong lipstick, nail polish, uniform, or hairstyle. The US airlines also can't set a limitation on the duration of employment.
And the problem with that is... what?

It would also be frowned upon, though not illegal, for the US airlines to require employees to use (free) employer-provided medical care or (free) company housing.
OMG, how barbaric to provide their employees with free medical care and free housing.

How horrible would it be if US airlines required employees to receive 6 months of paid training instead of 6-8 weeks of unpaid training?
So the ME3 FAs are better trained and receive 6 months of paid training? Simply horrible.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
And the problem with that is... what?

OMG, how barbaric to provide their employees with free medical care and free housing.

So the ME3 FAs are better trained and receive 6 months of paid training? Simply horrible.
It appears I should have used the sarcasm smiley in my post to make clear I have no problem with how the ME3 treat their employees.

In all seriousness, the ME3 have some employment requirements, primarily appearance related, that might run into problems in the US. Overall, flight and cabin crew members are not poorly treated. They actually get more benefits and much better schedules than their US counterparts. Cabin crew positions are not structured to be careers, which certainly runs afoul with the sensibilities of US unions...
Old Jun 30, 2017, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It appears I should have used the sarcasm smiley in my post to make clear I have no problem with how the ME3 treat their employees.
LOL. My bad.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by SSF556
Why?....
Because it is factually incorrect. Not sure where your confusion lies.

Originally Posted by SSF556
can't fly to Cape Town, Nairobi, Moscow, Dubai, Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane, Auckland, Dar Es Salaam, Bangkok, Budapest, Istanbul, Dehli, Helsinki, Kiev, Bucharest, Vienna, Marrakech, London Gatwick or Mumbai etc on Delta Metal? Of course I can book KLM or Air France but I imagine you know that all ready.
And the ME3 "can't" fly to dozens of airports in the Americas that DL does. Is QR not global because they don't serve San Francisco? Is EK regional because they don't serve Marrakech? Your point, again? Have you ever been to Marrakech? Or Kiev (which none of the ME3 serve)? Or even Budapest or Vienna? There is a big difference between "can't" and "doesn't find the market worth serving".

Your statement is incorrect. That isn't opinion, but fact. I'm sorry you are wrong, but all I can do is the neighborly thing and politely inform you of your error. If, despite my generous and kind instruction, you want to repeat the error and resulting embarrassment, I can't help that.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by CurbedEnthusiasm
Talk about whiny. Marketplaces change. New competitors emerge. It happens in every line of business. Even big US airlines are invincible to these inevitable forces.
DL is a big whiner... they just don't like competition.

Years ago when B6 tried to serve ATL, DL put 767s on the route to crush B6 just for the sake of forcing them out.

In many ways, US airlines are just as subsidized as the ME3 when you take into account all the unfair advantages they are permitted to have, while generally in the US airline service and frequent flyer benefits continue to get worse and worse every year.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 2:51 pm

Everyone says to DL/UA/AA just improve your product, but the ME3's product is better due to the subsidies and basically no labor laws protecting people from being fired for the horrible decision of getting pregnant.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kop84
Everyone says to DL/UA/AA just improve your product, but the ME3's product is better due to the subsidies and basically no labor laws protecting people from being fired for the horrible decision of getting pregnant.
If you say so.
But you may want to stay away from the Kool-Aid.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
So you're saying AA/DL/UA are unable to spend some cash out of the billions of dollars they're currently making each year to attempt some competitive premium products? I don't buy it.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I don't even want to start on the additional training the ME3 require of their employees. How horrible would it be if US airlines required employees to receive 6 months of paid training instead of 6-8 weeks of unpaid training?
IIRC, DL training is paid.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 6:01 pm

I assume you don't buy consumer products from China or clothes from Bangladesh, etc, because the labor laws in those countries are different than the labor laws in the United States.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I assume you don't buy consumer products from China or clothes from Bangladesh, etc, because the labor laws in those countries are different than the labor laws in the United States.
Double standard 101
Old Jul 1, 2017, 8:15 am

The hypocrisy of this video is hilarious.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
2MM flyer on DL, but left after the merger. Have been spending $100k annually mostly on *A for the last 5 years or so, but with the just announced UA mileage devaluation thought I might come back to DL so I decided to check out the DL website (after a long hiatus) and saw this thread. Boy do I hate whiners. Guess I'll stick with UA.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
As opposed to AA/DL/UA's highly protected employees who abuse passengers.

Oh and at least the ME3 give their cabin crews pretty decent apartments for free.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by pbarnette

Folks on FT seem wholly unclear as to what constitutes a government subsidy. Not sure why that is. It isn't a difficult concept, but FT isn't exactly the place for informed and reasoned assessment.
Originally Posted by SFO777
And you are often the poster child for that one.
Exactly. I wish pbarnette would post something positive or non-arrogant at some point. If he/she has such disdain for FT/FT'ers why continue to post here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.