Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta releases documentary highlighting ME3 subsidies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta releases documentary highlighting ME3 subsidies

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:59 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
This is ridiculous propaganda vis-a-vis the shielding/benefits that US majors get from the US gov't. Air travel is such a strategic/valued industry at the national level that international competition is bound to be polluted.

Live with it or be content as a domestic carrier screwing marginally served, overpriced monopoly routes.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 6:19 am
Formerly known as scootr29

Me thinks that Delta thinks it is a worldwide player in the airline market...it is not a player. It should realize that it is a domestic airline that offers international options and those are limited. Again they are the kid that no one likes who grabs his football and cries all the way home about why he has no friends....

Also we need to post to youtube...comments would be epic.

Last edited by SSF556; Jun 30, 2017 at 6:37 am
Old Jun 30, 2017, 7:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by SSF556
It should realize that it is a domestic airline that offers international options and those are limited.
Well that is simply factually incorrect.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 7:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
I must have missed the part in the documentary about all the subsidies DL have and continues to receive... fuel tax breaks, bankruptcy protection, dumping pension obligations on the government. As Paki81 notes, if DL had a better product, more people would fly them. Give it up DL, stop acting and whining like a 2 year old.
The fuel tax reductions weren't specific to DL. And even the most liberal reading of bankruptcy law wouldn't allow for calling negotiated settlements with private creditors a "subsidy". Maybe, at the margins, you could call DL availing themselves of the pension insurance protections they paid for a subsidy, but again...

Folks on FT seem wholly unclear as to what constitutes a government subsidy. Not sure why that is. It isn't a difficult concept, but FT isn't exactly the place for informed and reasoned assessment.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pbarnette
... but FT isn't exactly the place for informed and reasoned assessment.
And you are often the poster child for that one.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 8:32 am
Formerly known as scootr29

Well that is simply factually incorrect.
Why?....can't fly to Cape Town, Nairobi, Moscow, Dubai, Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane, Auckland, Dar Es Salaam, Bangkok, Budapest, Istanbul, Dehli, Helsinki, Kiev, Bucharest, Vienna, Marrakech, London Gatwick or Mumbai etc on Delta Metal? Of course I can book KLM or Air France but I imagine you know that all ready.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
It's not like EK is all that cheap to fly. I was looking at going to Dubai from SFO in early October and EK was about $8k and AF is about $4,300.

Last edited by SJC ORD LDR; Jun 30, 2017 at 12:01 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 30, 2017, 10:29 am

Talk about whiny. Marketplaces change. New competitors emerge. It happens in every line of business. Even big US airlines are invincible to these inevitable forces.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 10:32 am

Folks on FT seem wholly unclear as to what constitutes a government subsidy. Not sure why that is. It isn't a difficult concept, but FT isn't exactly the place for informed and reasoned assessment.
I think Delta is aligned with FT in misunderstanding what constitutes a subsidy, or at least inconsistently applying that label to suit Delta's objectives. Ignoring the Chinese and attacking the ME3 reeks of hypocrisy.

I could only watch a few minutes of the video before I was sickened by the over-the-top hyperbole. What was particularly egregious is the overuse of "our," like Delta felt it was entitled to be protected in certain markets and on certain routes. If you want to be a business, you need to compete.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by motytrah
Since DL doesn't have unions they need to have the employees advocate their position to the politicians. DL is one of the few majors where the employees don't have a lobbyist on the hill to represent them. It's as simple as that.
Aren't the pilots unionized?
Old Jun 30, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: Nada!
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
It's not like EK is all that cheapl to fly. I was looking at going to Dubai from SFO in early October and EK was about $8k and AF is about $4,300.
This is what I don't understand. DL complains of subsidies that lower prices. I flew on DL both to India and Dubai back when they were flying there on more than one occasion. Emirates seats, at least in coach, are not much if any cheaper. Maybe you could get business for $5k as opposed to $9k on DL but I never found Emirates to be significantly cheaper. And the Delta flights were always packed. These subsidies certainly are not obvious to me. And Emirates definitely has a better product.

Last edited by sr_tipitinas; Jun 30, 2017 at 10:56 am
Old Jun 30, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: DL: PM/2MM; MHG; HH;
Originally Posted by Paki81
If delta had a better product, people would travel more on it.
If DL wouldn't continue to enhance their Medallion program, people might use them but I advise not. I say fly the ME3.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Aren't the pilots unionized?
Yes and IIRC there is one other group that is unionized.
Originally Posted by sr_tipitinas
This is what I don't understand. DL complains of subsidies that lower prices. I flew on DL both to India and Dubai back when they were flying there on more than one occasion. Emirates seats, at least in coach, are not much if any cheaper. Maybe you could get business for $5k as opposed to $9k on DL but I never found Emirates to be significantly cheaper. And the Delta flights were always packed. These subsidies certainly are not obvious to me. And Emirates definitely has a better product.
I was surprised to see that large of a fare difference in J. I do understand from looking at photos and listening to others that EK has a great product in J and I would like to try it, but $8k is a bit steep on my dime.

I think my biggest concern with the ME3 is the lower wages and the way they treat their FAs would be illegal here.

Last edited by SJC ORD LDR; Jun 30, 2017 at 12:13 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I think my biggest concern with the ME3 is the lower wages and the way they treat their FAs would be illegal here.
OK... so what exactly are those "lower" wages that you are concerned about?
And in what way do they treat their FAs that you think "would be illegal" here?
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
OK... so what exactly are those "lower" wages that you are concerned about?
And in what way do they treat their FAs that you think "would be illegal" here?
Well, the US airlines can't fire their FAs if they wear the wrong lipstick, nail polish, uniform, or hairstyle. The US airlines also can't set a limitation on the duration of employment.

It would also be frowned upon, though not illegal, for the US airlines to require employees to use (free) employer-provided medical care or (free) company housing.

I don't even want to start on the additional training the ME3 require of their employees. How horrible would it be if US airlines required employees to receive 6 months of paid training instead of 6-8 weeks of unpaid training?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.