Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best non-Delta business cc

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Best non-Delta business cc

Hi FT, looking for the best credit card for our business. We only fly Delta, but we don't want to use the Delta Amex bc it only accrues miles, etc to the primary card holder and we are two partners in the business.

Looking into options and planning to apply by week's end.

Thanks!
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Curious why you would ask in a Delta forum for something you specifically want not to be related to Delta?

Did you know there is a credit card forum on FT?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...-programs-599/
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Curious why you would ask in a Delta forum for something you specifically want not to be related to Delta?

Did you know there is a credit card forum on FT?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...-programs-599/
No, I wasn't clear! We fly exclusively Delta and want our business cc to support our Delta habit, but we don't want to use the Delta-branded Amex cards (Platinum, Gold, etc) because it restricts benefits to only of us (partners of the company).
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:13 am

Check out the new Amex Blue Business Plus card. No annual fee, and you get 2x MR points for the first $50k spend. Those can then be transferred to your delta accounts. There's a 20k signup bonus that you have to search for, but it may have died tonight.

It really comes down to how much you are spending though.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:38 am

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by bmoeller1
No, I wasn't clear! We fly exclusively Delta and want our business cc to support our Delta habit, but we don't want to use the Delta-branded Amex cards (Platinum, Gold, etc) because it restricts benefits to only of us (partners of the company).
Have you thought about the Amex platinum (non delta version). High annual fee but it does get you into Slyclubs when traveling on Delta. And the Amex MR program is decent, with 1:1 transfers to Delta if you wanted to go that route. You can pick them as your main airline in your profile and you can get points back by using MR points to buy tickets on Delta.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Chase Sapphire Reserve, though you should have done this towards the end of last year when the promo was better.

Last edited by MarkCron; Jun 29, 2017 at 7:19 am
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by turnpike17
Have you thought about the Amex platinum (non delta version). High annual fee but it does get you into Slyclubs when traveling on Delta. And the Amex MR program is decent, with 1:1 transfers to Delta if you wanted to go that route. You can pick them as your main airline in your profile and you can get points back by using MR points to buy tickets on Delta.
​​​​​​
Second this. AMEX platinum seems like the way to go here. SC access and 5x on air travel plus the option to transfer back to Delta if wanted but not restricted to DL only
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bmoeller1
You can have authorized user cards issued so that each user gets their own benefits. Also AFA, MQM those can be sent to anyone's account.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Not related to the CC angle, but if you and any employees fly for business purposes, don't forget to sign up for SkyBonus as well.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by flyerCO
You can have authorized user cards issued so that each user gets their own benefits. Also AFA, MQM those can be sent to anyone's account.
MQM can only be gifted from the Reserve card, but otherwise this is good advice re the AU cards.

Even with a non-DL card, all the points still accrue to only one person's points account (at least for MR). So at some point OP and his/her partner need to trust each other enough to be able to earn/spend points jointly.

Miles earned to a DL account can be used to buy tickets for anyone, so funneling RDM to one place doesn't really restrict their end use in any way.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:32 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
It is also worth considering the Amex Business Gold Rewards card. Earns pretty decent bonus points categories, and the points (as with any Amex Membership Rewards card) can be transferred to Delta if you want, or can otherwise be used for a variety of other things.

Chase has a number of similar business and personal cards that earn Ultimate Rewards points, which can't be transferred to Delta but can be transferred to various other programs including United. So if you already earn a lot of Delta miles from your flights, it could be good to diversify.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: VS Gold, UA Silver, IHG Plat / Bonvoy Gold / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Disc, National+, GE / CLEAR
I second (or third) the Amex Platinum route. The annual fee ($550) is high, but I find myself using my Plat card more and more as time goes on, and grants SkyClub access to the cardholder without issue.

There are many, many ways to earn Amex Membership Rewards (MRs) points in a variety of schemes and MRs are transferrable to Delta and many other airlines. 5x points earning on airlines and hotels.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Depending on the amount and type of spend the Chase Sapphire might be a good card. You get 3 pts/$ on any travel/restaurant purchase and that includes things like parking and Uber and public transit and if you use it for travel you get a 50% bonus so you are getting 4.5 cents to use towards travel through the chase travel portal for every $ spent on travel. The annual fee is $450 but you get a $300 travel credit so it amounts to $150 a year. Also will pay for GE/Precheck and includes a priority pass (but that benefit isn't as valuable for me now that Escape in MSP isn't part of PP and a lot of boardrooms aren't giving PP entrances saying it's due to being over capacity).

The Am Ex is a good choice but the problem is Am Ex isn't accepted at nearly as many places as Visa.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Depending on the amount and type of spend the Chase Sapphire might be a good card. You get 3 pts/$ on any travel/restaurant purchase and that includes things like parking and Uber and public transit and if you use it for travel you get a 50% bonus so you are getting 4.5 cents to use towards travel through the chase travel portal for every $ spent on travel. The annual fee is $450 but you get a $300 travel credit so it amounts to $150 a year. Also will pay for GE/Precheck and includes a priority pass (but that benefit isn't as valuable for me now that Escape in MSP isn't part of PP and a lot of boardrooms aren't giving PP entrances saying it's due to being over capacity).

The Am Ex is a good choice but the problem is Am Ex isn't accepted at nearly as many places as Visa.
I second this. It also has an extremely professional phone agent group. They also have a superb comprehensive collision damage coverage for rental cars domestic and international. This alone can save you hundreds in Europe if you rent cars there. No foreign fees. And accepted pretty much everywhere abroad unlike Amex.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Platinum, and assorted hotel loyalty schemes.
Originally Posted by Duke787
​​​​​​
Second this. AMEX platinum seems like the way to go here. SC access and 5x on air travel plus the option to transfer back to Delta if wanted but not restricted to DL only
This ^
I have the card for SkyClub access. I considered the Delta-branded card, but I really don't care about getting more Delta miles or any airline's miles (heresy on this site, I know). The MR points are more flexible and valuable to me than miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.