Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2 delayed flights, extremely delayed bags = ruined vacation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL: PM/2MM; MHG; HH;

I booked our Caribbean vacation in August 2016. Since then there has been multiple schedule changes, aircraft changes and changed seats.

When I booked the trip, my spouse and I were seated together in a row 18 on a Delta B757 with plenty of space in front of us. After changes, we were placed in middle seats away from each other, not even in the Comfort+ originally booked and where I used extra miles for my spouse. After emails from Delta and a phone call to the Platinum desk, I was told the system "shouldn't have done that" but guess what, it did. And during that call, I was told the bulkheads were taken.

On Sat June 24th, our 5:35A flight was delayed due to mechanical. The next flight scheduled for 6:50A was also delayed. I spoke 2 different times to the Platinum desk by phone and was told if we missed the connection there was nothing they could do since Delta has no interline agreements with anyone that flies to Barbados, BGI, (JetBlue, American, etc). We could buy new tickets and be reimbursed for the cost but no one would give me that in writing. As the mechanical delay kept getting extended, we were transferred from DL1665 to DL591 and we asked that our bags be moved. Delta’s HSV staff was short of people on Sat and with 2 delayed flights, it over whelmed the two agents trying to work gates 6 & 8 respectively. They were not that interested in making sure our bags were moved. They kept saying it would be on the next flight, with absolutely no clue that the ATL-BGI is a once a week flight.

Long story short, we arrived on Saturday June 24th, my spouses bags arrived on Sunday June 25th and my bag arrived late on June 26th, 2 days after I arrived. I made many VoIP phone calls and was told something different each time about our bags. My bag arrived into Toronto, Canada on Saturday night about midnight. Why it went 180 degrees opposite the direction of travel I was going, I don't know. And it sat on the ground in Toronto for 31 hours, again no one explaining why.

I am extremely sensitive to sun and I had 4 50+ UV protection shirts in my bag to protect me from too much sun and getting sun poisoning. Out of a 7 day vacation, 3 were wasted waiting on a bag to be delivered. After extreme stress and anxiety, Delta has offered to throw some SkyPesos or a voucher as a "good will" gesture, but I find that insulting after what has happened. Delta has ruined our vacation.

Since the competition has been whittled down to 3 majors, none of them really care about good customer service. The Medallion program has been gutted and Delta continues to send useless emails announcing new "perks" which amount to much ado about nothing.

If you have an important trip where you need to be somewhere within a specific time-frame, DON'T FLY DELTA.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Sorry for the bad luck, but I have a feeling many on here won't be too sympathetic. Mechanical delays happen (people will ask if you'd rather have "chanced it" and taken off only to crash into the ground -- b/c that would have surely ruined the vacation). Lost luggage happens. That's not that really that bad of a bag delay --- especially if DL only has one flight per week.

Why didn't you just buy the sun protection shirts there? DL would have reimbursed you for them. Surely the tropical island had some. Same goes for any other critical items you were missing.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
I don't see how a delay in getting "special" shirts could "ruin" a full 3 days, to say nothing of the entire week. Were there no places (knowing the answer) you could mitigate the situation by simply buying a replacement shirt or two and then having Delta reimburse you? I know for sure they sell shirts down there.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
If you have an important trip and want "reimbursement", buy insurance.

I'm not the biggest fan of travel insurance, but then you take the risk of whatever happens and your experience certainly doesn't sound unique.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Change places with me and not knowing the area, how would YOU feel? Yes, we went shopping and could not find the correct replacements. By the time DL was finished "dicking" around with us, stores were closed and stayed closed on Sunday.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

No one on this fricking board has any empathy. You all want to flame throw and throw knives. Sorry I ever posted.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by DHG(Th)
I booked our Caribbean vacation in August 2016. Since then there has been multiple schedule changes, aircraft changes and changed seats.

When I booked the trip, my spouse and I were seated together in a row 18 on a Delta B757 with plenty of space in front of us. After changes, we were placed in middle seats away from each other, not even in the Comfort+ originally booked and where I used extra miles for my spouse. After emails from Delta and a phone call to the Platinum desk, I was told the system "shouldn't have done that" but guess what, it did. And during that call, I was told the bulkheads were taken.

On Sat June 24th, our 5:35A flight was delayed due to mechanical. The next flight scheduled for 6:50A was also delayed. I spoke 2 different times to the Platinum desk by phone and was told if we missed the connection there was nothing they could do since Delta has no interline agreements with anyone that flies to Barbados, BGI, (JetBlue, American, etc). We could buy new tickets and be reimbursed for the cost but no one would give me that in writing. As the mechanical delay kept getting extended, we were transferred from DL1665 to DL591 and we asked that our bags be moved. Delta’s HSV staff was short of people on Sat and with 2 delayed flights, it over whelmed the two agents trying to work gates 6 & 8 respectively. They were not that interested in making sure our bags were moved. They kept saying it would be on the next flight, with absolutely no clue that the ATL-BGI is a once a week flight.

Long story short, we arrived on Saturday June 24th, my spouses bags arrived on Sunday June 25th and my bag arrived late on June 26th, 2 days after I arrived. I made many VoIP phone calls and was told something different each time about our bags. My bag arrived into Toronto, Canada on Saturday night about midnight. Why it went 180 degrees opposite the direction of travel I was going, I don't know. And it sat on the ground in Toronto for 31 hours, again no one explaining why.

I am extremely sensitive to sun and I had 4 50+ UV protection shirts in my bag to protect me from too much sun and getting sun poisoning. Out of a 7 day vacation, 3 were wasted waiting on a bag to be delivered. After extreme stress and anxiety, Delta has offered to throw some SkyPesos or a voucher as a "good will" gesture, but I find that insulting after what has happened. Delta has ruined our vacation.

Since the competition has been whittled down to 3 majors, none of them really care about good customer service. The Medallion program has been gutted and Delta continues to send useless emails announcing new "perks" which amount to much ado about nothing.

If you have an important trip where you need to be somewhere within a specific time-frame, DON'T FLY DELTA.
Wow - sorry to hear of the troubles. As an alternative to this report, my wife and I just flew to Cancun (I'm a GM and she is a member) and we were both upgraded to FC both the way there and the way back. I have to say that in 9 years of being a dedicated delta flyer, I have never seen anything like what happened to you, but to be honest i kept thinking of 'drama queen' as i was reading your story.

Also, just out of curiosity, why would you be talking to the Platinum line if you are a DM? Something seems amiss....

Additionally, as a DL platinum member, why would you accept the first response from the front-line platinum desk? Ask to speak to a supervisor and get it sorted out to your satisfaction....

Last edited by pharmawalk; Jun 28, 2017 at 3:31 pm
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I certainly feel for you it's a huge PITA and not a fun situation - it sucks the power the airlines have to ruin a trip these days with no consequences (and of course when the tables are turn you are expected to shell out $$$, etc.,). My girlfriend's bag was inexplicably in ATL when we went to LHR for her best friend's wedding even though my bag made it and we were both on the same itinerary, same routing, both flying D1, it was maddening.

Next time as others have mentioned I strongly advise you to buy replacements and bill Delta. In my girlfriend's case, they willingly, without pushback, agree to pay back the expenses in full (which are in excess of $50/day).

Did you use a credit card for purchasing as well? Some CC's provide trip insurance that provides additional coverage for delayed baggage up to $500 (Citi Prestige, Citi AA provides up to $100, Chase Sapphire Preferred & Chase Sapphire Reserve both up to $500).

One other thing to add is this can happen on any airline so I wouldn't say this is necessarily a DON'T FLY DELTA situation as opposed to a reminder that for important trips, we all should really consider trip insurance (through CC or other means) because things can happen out our control that make a trip go sideways, even for the most experienced FTers.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
While that situation sucks, you're sadly not going to get a ton of sympathy here.

Delays can occur on any airline. So do baggage mishaps. And certainly the latter is more likely to happen in conjunction with the former. It really is just luck of the draw. And while DL perhaps could have found a quicker way to route your bags, a 1-2 day delay when DL only operates 1x/week isn't necessarily that bad, particularly when they're originating from a smaller outstation.

But, with all due respect, I would think that a 2MM DM would know how to self-insure against "ruined" vacations? New clothing can be purchased and reimbursed, and/or a small carryon with 1-2 days of essential stuff can be packed in addition to the checked bag.

OP's conclusion is to avoid DL if one has an important trip. I'm sure with a couple quick searches we could find similar advice about all the other airlines out there. The actual good advice is that if you have an important/time-sensitive trip, plan ahead, fly early if possible, and keep essential belongings within your control. While it certainly is DL's fault that they had a plane go MX and then lost OP's bags, there were still several other ways OP could have controlled the situation and minimized impact which he apparently chose not to do.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:29 pm

Moral of the story, on an international flight that only is once a week, fly in the night before and spend the night in Atlanta. It is worth the piece of mind, and should your previous day flight be delayed, gives you more time and flexibility in contingency plans.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL DM and 1.5 MM, UA GM, HH DM
Surprised Delta did noting for a DM and 2Million miler.... They were delayed with my bag for 8 hours on trip two weeks ago and I was very happy with their response/actions.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by Asiaflyguy
Surprised Delta did noting for a DM and 2Million miler.... They were delayed with my bag for 8 hours on trip two weeks ago and I was very happy with their response/actions.
Just a FYI, I don't think the OP is a DM.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Your bag probably ended up in Toronto because they sent it on Air Canada to get it to you on one of their flights. They can't put it on AA - no interline agreement and I don't see where UA has daily flights. So sending it to Toronto was actually Delta trying to get it to you faster than the next flight on DL a week later, which wouldn't have done you any good. Still not great about the delay, but out of everything the bag being sent to Toronto was at least an attempt at customer service.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL DM and 1.5 MM, UA GM, HH DM
Originally Posted by pharmawalk
Just a FYI, I don't think the OP is a DM.
His signature that says he is, unless that's not current to correct
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by DHG(Th)
Change places with me and not knowing the area, how would YOU feel? Yes, we went shopping and could not find the correct replacements. By the time DL was finished "dicking" around with us, stores were closed and stayed closed on Sunday.
You lost me with this (good luck):

I am extremely sensitive to sun and I had 4 50+ UV protection shirts in my bag to protect me from too much sun and getting sun poisoning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.