FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   MQMs for KLM flights (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1850361-mqms-klm-flights.html)

nikko4me Jun 27, 2017 11:23 am

MQMs for KLM flights

I will be flying business class to Malaysia in a couple months and wanted to check to make sure that I am credited for DL MQMs. I know that KLM is a partner but wasn't sure how the account is credited or how long it takes.

Flights are:
BOS to AMS: KLM 6016, Operated by: DELTA AIR LINES, Distance: 3445 miles
AMS to KUL: KLM 811, Distance 6357 miles
KUL to AMS: KLM 810, Distance 6357 miles
AMS to BOS: KLM 6031, Operated by: DELTA AIR LINES, Distance: 3445 miles

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

pvn Jun 27, 2017 11:41 am

you should get full MQMs for all of those flights. I've never had a problem with KL marketed flights crediting correctly, though it generally takes longer to post than DL flights.

DeltaFirst Jun 27, 2017 12:45 pm

Concur, full MQMs. Recent trip the miles posted within about 3 days.

CKDGM Jun 27, 2017 1:50 pm

TL;DR: full MQMs including class-of-service bonuses. Longer analysis/exploration of how you would find this out in similar situations follows.

SkyMiles earning can be really complicated (depending on specific details of operating, marketing, and ticketing carriers in some cases) but the complications mostly come into play for RDMs/MQDs. MQMs have fewer gotchas (not none, just fewer).

To figure out the details, start with the marketing carrier. In this case, that's KL.

Starting from the SkyMiles partner airlines page, go through to the KLM page.

That page has three(!) earning tables (though the second and third appear identical to me). Note that exclusions apply, but as long as the operating carrier is KL, KLM Cityhopper, or a SkyTeam partner other than Jet Airways you will get MQMs and RDMs.

All earning tables have the same MQM accrual, so you get MQMs based on distance and fare class. That's pretty easy. If you bought full J (probably not) you get 200%; discounted business class (C/D/I/Z) gets 150%.

Since your flights are part of a transatlantic itinerary, it doesn't matter if they're DL-ticketed (006) or KL-ticketed (074); both of those would use the top RDM earning chart (dollar-based) plus actual MQDs so there's no class-of-service bonus...just the size-of-payment and Medallion level bonuses. :D

nikko4me Jun 27, 2017 2:12 pm

Thanks so much for the information everyone!

I had looked at info on website and I thought I would get 150% for these flights (business class I) but wanted to confirm. Also wasn't sure how long it would take when they show up in Delta account.

Croptop Jun 27, 2017 2:20 pm

Please forgive this minor thread hijack but I just want to confirm that I'm reading CKDGM's (and Delta's) explanations correctly:

I'm flying D1 from YYZ-SIN and SIN-YYZ at the end of the year. One leg (ICN-SIN) is on a flight operated by KE but I have a "DL" flight number for it (DL7690).

The KE partner page states that I would get no MQMs for this but because I have a DL ticket, I will get full MQMs under the regular Skymiles rules, correct?

flyerCO Jun 27, 2017 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Croptop (Post 28493019)
Please forgive this minor thread hijack but I just want to confirm that I'm reading CKDGM's (and Delta's) explanations correctly:

I'm flying D1 from YYZ-SIN and SIN-YYZ at the end of the year. One leg (ICN-SIN) is on a flight operated by KE but I have a "DL" flight number for it (DL7690).

The KE partner page states that I would get no MQMs for this but because I have a DL ticket, I will get full MQMs under the regular Skymiles rules, correct?

The ticket doesnt matter. The marketing carrier of the fliggt does. If KE123 no MQM, if DL8123 operated by KE123 then yes.

CKDGM Jun 27, 2017 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Croptop (Post 28493019)
because I have a DL ticket, I will get full MQMs under the regular Skymiles rules, correct?

Correct. Marketing carrier determines the earning rules. Within that there may be additional criteria or restrictions, but for DL-marketed flights the only exception to MQM earning is award travel.

Not sure if you're on a Delta-marketed flight? There's an easy way to check. The marketing carrier is determined by the two-letter airline code in the flight number. So if your flight has a DL flight number, it qualifies for our mileage crediting rules. If you are instead flying a partner-marketed flight, the miles, MQMs and MQDs you earn will vary by carrier.

Croptop Jun 27, 2017 6:10 pm

Thank you both for the responses. Very much appreciated.

SuperG1955 Aug 14, 2017 1:35 pm

Wondering about the MQM's we'll each get for the following:
KLM Ticketed - KLM Metal

1 DM,, 1 Kettle (Was a PM when booked)

Flight 1
AMS - FCO
You will be travelling in V class with fare basis VHSRNL.
Flying Blue members earn 202 Miles

Flight 2
VCE-AMS
You will be travelling in G class with fare basis GSRNL.Flying
Blue members earn 150 Miles

Grouchy Aug 14, 2017 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by SuperG1955 (Post 28689356)
Wondering about the MQM's we'll each get for the following:
KLM Ticketed - KLM Metal

1 DM,, 1 Kettle (Was a PM when booked)

Flight 1
AMS - FCO
You will be travelling in V class with fare basis VHSRNL.
Flying Blue members earn 202 Miles

Flight 2
VCE-AMS
You will be travelling in G class with fare basis GSRNL.Flying
Blue members earn 150 Miles

Something like 806 + 582 MQM's for both of you

SuperG1955 Aug 14, 2017 1:44 pm

Thanks for the quick answer.

18sas Aug 14, 2017 3:46 pm

And a followup q about MQDs. For a KL-ticketed and AF-coded and metal, the MQDs will be based off a percentage of mileage, correct, and not the dollar amount?

I haven't compared but I assume the KL and AF earning charts are nearly identical.

Boony1970 Jan 15, 2018 8:31 pm

I have a similar question. A flight purchased on delta.com, (SFO-AMS) on KLM metal, delta flight number.
Do I get MQD's based on paid fare or by the partner rules of 40% of distance flown.

I could also purchase this ticket on KLM.com with strictly KL flight #'s.

TTT Jan 15, 2018 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Boony1970 (Post 29297619)
I have a similar question. A flight purchased on delta.com, (SFO-AMS) on KLM metal, delta flight number.
Do I get MQD's based on paid fare or by the partner rules of 40% of distance flown.

I could also purchase this ticket on KLM.com with strictly KL flight #'s.

Marketing carrier determines earnings. For a DL coded flight you earn under the Delta chart (MQDs and RDMs based on spend, full MQMs). For a KL coded flight you earn under the KLM chart (% of distance flown, based on the fare class purchased). Operating carrier doesn't matter as long as the operating carrier is eligible to earn under Delta's program.