ATL TSA Pre Check Fingerprint Scanner

Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:41 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
ATL TSA Pre Check Fingerprint Scanner

I was reading an article that the TSA was testing in ATL and DEN the ability for you to skip having your ID checked and utilize a fingerprint scanner to verify ID that launched a week or two ago.

Has anyone seen it in ATL? Which Precheck lines is it at? Any success?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I thought the biometric stuff was for check-in/bag-drop, not TSA security.

How would this differ from the CLEAR lanes at both locations? Or was this one of those crappy web articles where the author clearly doesn't fly a lot and thinks check-in, TSA, PreCheck, CLEAR, and SkyPriority are all the same thing (and thus was probably conflating the new biometric bag check things that DL is testing with seeing people use a newish CLEAR lane at ATL/DEN)?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:16 am
Suspended
Original Poster

http://airport.blog.ajc.com/2017/06/...field-jackson/

this is the article i was referring to
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: DL GM
From the article it looks like you still need to show your ID during the trial phase. Interesting idea, they already got my fingerprints from Global Entry might as well use them for something useful.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott PP
Yes, you are correct the TSA is piloting that at ATL. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but hope to in the near future. If it is successful I could see it making pre-check go just that much faster, since the ID check would take a mere seconds.

The TSA press release on the initiative can be found here:
https://www.tsa.gov/news/releases/20...int-technology
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
I'm just confused why you would even need to show an ID still... like someone is going to steal your fingerprints?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: DL GM
During the pilot phase ID is still required. Makes sense, they are working out the bugs doing testing etc. But if they do it for reals then no more ID needed.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Don't think this will stick around unless the TSA stops giving PreCheck away for free. If this does go through, I have a feeling it will be the end of Clear.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Don't think this will stick around unless the TSA stops giving PreCheck away for free. If this does go through, I have a feeling it will be the end of Clear.
I am convinced somebody at Clear pissed off someone at the TSA as they are piloting basically what Clear does.

Guess this will now be the 3rd bankruptcy for Clear?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Clear's real benefit is skipping the line though. I don't have it to skip showing my boarding pass(Which I still scan). Not saying they won't fail, again.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Carpboy823
I'm just confused why you would even need to show an ID still... like someone is going to steal your fingerprints?
That is possible!

http://www.networkworld.com/article/...cs.html#slide1
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:56 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG/Marriott Platinum
I flew ATL-LGA on the first flight out on 7/27 (6AM). Got out of an Uber around 4:55. Walked over to Security by the TSA Pre line. Noticed they had a new line for CLEAR, which was slightly shorter than TSA Pre, so I decided to got there. They had about 4/5 kiosks. I couldn't figure out why the line, as the CLEAR agent called the guy in front of me to a kiosk, but sent him back in line. Evidently, TSA was scheduled to open at 5AM, so about 10 CLEAR'ed pax wee waiting for the agents to open the lines - was about 5:01ish at the time. TSA Pre and CLEAR were funneling into the same security screen - different lines.

Soon as it opened up, I got ushered to a kiosk, scanned my BP, tapped my FPs and went to the screen belt. No ID shown, nor was I asked.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by glob99
I should have been more clear - while you're correct that fingerprints can be lifted in general, I'd imagine it would be much more difficult to use the stolen prints for ID for airport security, since you would need to get the prints onto your own fingers (and just not a mold/piece of tape/etc).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.