Worth 20K More for VS Over DL/AF Biz?

Old Jun 25, 17, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 2MM, HHonors Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Worth 20K More for VS Over DL/AF Biz?

I have a flight booked in biz JNB-CDG (AF) - SEA (DL) - LAX (DL). Was able to get for 95K miles. For 115K ea, I can get VS JNB-LHR-SFO with a DL cxn to LAX. The VS segments are both on 787-900s.

Is it worth the 20K miles each to switch to VS?

Thoughts?
Old Jun 25, 17, 1:23 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
What plane are you booked on for JNB-CDG? Do you know if it's the angle-flat seats or the BEST seats? I would be inclined to avoid LHR if all other things were equal, but an angled seat on a long flight like that might be a deal breaker.
Old Jun 25, 17, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mileage Lover View Post
I have a flight booked in biz JNB-CDG (AF) - SEA (DL) - LAX (DL). Was able to get for 95K miles. For 115K ea, I can get VS JNB-LHR-SFO with a DL cxn to LAX. The VS segments are both on 787-900s.

Is it worth the 20K miles each to switch to VS?

Thoughts?
If you drop the SFO-LAX it'll be the same price. Its costing more because the DL flight isnt available at low level. For as cheap as a SFO-LAX flight is purchasing separate makes better sense then spending 20k miles.
Old Jun 25, 17, 1:25 pm

Programs: SPG LTG, DL Plat
AF's new 777 business class is great & 380 is pretty sub-par ... particularly for a long flight like JNB-CDG. Last I saw, they had a 380 on that route, and I'd certainly spend a few hundred bucks worth of miles to book away from that. If it's a reconfigured AF 777 (1-2-1), then I'd probably stick, though it would also depend on DL's aircraft to SEA -- if it's a 76, I might still switch book VS, though I wouldn't avoid a DL 76 as strongly as an AF 380.
Old Jun 25, 17, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
If you drop the SFO-LAX it'll be the same price. Its costing more because the DL flight isnt available at low level. For as cheap as a SFO-LAX flight is purchasing separate makes better sense then spending 20k miles.
Not correct. 115k is low level US-South Africa with partner metal over the pond.
Old Jun 25, 17, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Looks like it is actually 20k more because my flight over the pond is on DL, which prices lower. Would be 20K more if I took all AF as partners price higher now. JNB-CDG is currently on a A380 for my date.

Last edited by Mileage Lover; Jun 25, 17 at 1:32 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 25, 17, 1:35 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
As others have said....

The answer to your question is *VERY* equipment-specific. Given that equipment changes all of the time on all airlines, I would suggest going with the more convenient routing. VS is decent and LHR is pretty efficient for VS-VS connections. The VS Clubhouse is great and you will enjoy much better food and service than a Skyclub or AF Lounge.

Having said everything above, I am not a huge fan of the VS J seats (being 2.0m/6'6" tall and a relatively slim 85kg/187lb) on any aircraft.

TFD
Old Jun 25, 17, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
Not correct. 115k is low level US-South Africa with partner metal over the pond.
The way it was posted i thought OP was on AF TATL. Thus why i thought the cost difference was the DL penalty for booking a non-low flight.
Old Jun 25, 17, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DC777Fan View Post
AF's new 777 business class is great & 380 is pretty sub-par ... particularly for a long flight like JNB-CDG. Last I saw, they had a 380 on that route, and I'd certainly spend a few hundred bucks worth of miles to book away from that. If it's a reconfigured AF 777 (1-2-1), then I'd probably stick, though it would also depend on DL's aircraft to SEA -- if it's a 76, I might still switch book VS, though I wouldn't avoid a DL 76 as strongly as an AF 380.
AF, in general alternates days between A380 and 777.
Old Jun 25, 17, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

AF, in general alternates days between A380 and 777.

My current CDG-SEA is scheduled on an A330. I don't like the 767s much.
Old Jun 25, 17, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Mileage Lover View Post
My current CDG-SEA is scheduled on an A330. I don't like the 767s much.
i was replying about the CDG-JNB flights tgat poster was talling about.
Old Jun 25, 17, 10:20 pm

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Avoid the VS B787 in J at all costs. the seats are the worst in the list of flatbeds among the TATL carriers.

I tied them a week ago and vowed to never fly them again unless they change the seats.
Old Jun 25, 17, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo View Post
Avoid the VS B787 in J at all costs. the seats are the worst in the list of flatbeds among the TATL carriers.

I tied them a week ago and vowed to never fly them again unless they change the seats.

Thanks...sounds like I'll stick with my AF/DL flights, even with the AF380.
Old Jun 25, 17, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

VS 787 arent bad at all. In fact i quite like them. Especially the A row. No one to bump you since the middle and right side face each other. The A330 is to be avoided at all costs. Weird clear partitions that you can see into the seat next to you. Also packed in tightly.
Old Jun 26, 17, 6:48 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR

I haven't flow the VS 787, what exactly is so bad about the seats?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: