Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Intl to Intl connection at New York JFK - bag transfer confusion

Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS Gold

Hi all,

I've been getting conflicting advice for what happens with I-I connections at JFK, specifically whether I need to pick up my bag or not. I am travelling MEX-JFK-LHR, all on Delta, and will have checked luggage. I have read in another thread that DL offers international-to-international luggage tags that mean that bags aren't routed to the reclaim belts and just loaded onto the next plane, meaning I don't need to pickup and recheck them. Below is my reply from Delta on Twitter:

When you travel MEX to LHR, you go through customs when you land in LHR. You go through customs in the first stopover point of the country of your final destination. When you leave MEX, JFK is only a connection for you, so your luggage will be checked all the way through to LHR. Hope this helps.
It sounds like a fairly clear reply but there's a nagging part of me wanting extra clarification, as the last thing I want is my bag getting left on the belt at JFK. I have a 1h 40m connection so any kind of time saving would be very handy.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Just to add as well, the same rep has advised that the same rule applies to my outbound LHR-ATL-MEX trip. Virgin have advised the contrary (i.e. that bags must be collected).
How confusing.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SlimpyJones
Just to add as well, the same rep has advised that the same rule applies to my outbound LHR-ATL-MEX trip. Virgin have advised the contrary (i.e. that bags must be collected).
How confusing.
You need to be connecting DL to DL for ITI bags. Make sure they put a purple ITI tag on the bag at checkin or it will not transfer at JFK/ATL. The bag will still show on the belt in customs hall. Do not grab it. A DL agent will pull the purple ITI tagged bags and transfer to next flight.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott PP
Deleted
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:42 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by flyerCO
You need to be connecting DL to DL for ITI bags. Make sure they put a purple ITI tag on the bag at checkin or it will not transfer at JFK/ATL. The bag will still show on the belt in customs hall. Do not grab it. A DL agent will pull the purple ITI tagged bags and transfer to next flight.
I had no idea they still showed up on the belt, very interesting. I've ITI tagged a number of times and naturally had no reason to go to the belt to see.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by ajwright
The only exception is if you are traveling from a pre-clearance location.
Not quite. There are a few US airports that offer ITI baggage transfers for international-international connections. If your airline participates and the connecting airport participates, then your bags are tagged ITI at check in, and you don't have to collect them at the US connection point (you still have to clear immigration).

I know ATL does offer ITI. I didn't think JFK offered ITI transfers. MIA, DFW, and IAH also offer ITI and there are probably others.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by C W
I had no idea they still showed up on the belt, very interesting. I've ITI tagged a number of times and naturally had no reason to go to the belt to see.
For security reasons the belt system for international inbound flights dont connect to the domestic portion. Ensures bags dont get skip going through customs on accident or purpose. Thus agents has to pickup and transfer.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Great, thank you for that.

I should clarify that I am doing LHR-ATL-MEX with the LHR-ATL portion on Virgin. They advised they do not issue international to international tags for luggage. Which would make sense with what you said about it being DL-DL only. So it looks like I'll have to pick them up as normal in ATL but at MEX I will enquire about the I-I tag and see if they put one on as it's DL-DL.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:23 pm

Wouldn't there be signs for International Transit Passengers? You could ask the rep meeting the flight where to go. I would just follow the signs to the "Transit area" and you would clear security again and go back to the terminal.

For the Customs Declaration Form you would put "In Transit" and there are signs for connecting passengers not docking in the USA. Ask the US Border Patrol Rep to direct you and it helps to have your connecting boarding pass in hand to show the rep that you are transiting.

It seems easier to connect in Europe rather than in the USA. I have done Schengen to Non Schengen flights and vice versa without an issue.

If you could try switching to the AeroMexico flight to Europe you may be better off.

You should allow yourself at least 3 hours to make the connection for lines depending on your Passport you may be able to use the Mobile Passport Control or Automated Passport Control Machines if not there would be lines for clearing customs, you may be asked to go to secondary screening and then TSA security.

I hope this helps. Bien Viaje.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:28 pm

My Father and I connected in Mexico City from San Francisco to Sao Paulo on Aero Mexico to TAM. When we cleared Mexico Customs we put our bags on the transfer belt and it was automatically transferred to TAM and we then went on a day tour of Mexico City sans bags.

When we returned to the airport we went through passport control and security and waited in the Lounge. A very painless experience.

Had a nice lunch in Zona Rosa. You have such a beautiful city and country. I have been to Puerto Vallarta and Los Cabos. I hope to go to Cuernevaca, Zacatecas, Gudalajara, Cancun, the pyramids. I heard Alcupulco and Mazatlan are beautiful beaches as is the Sea of Cortez(Penasco).
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by danielonn
Wouldn't there be signs for International Transit Passengers? You could ask the rep meeting the flight where to go. I would just follow the signs to the "Transit area" and you would clear security again and go back to the terminal.
There is no such thing as a "transit area" in the US. All arriving passengers clear immigration regardless of destination. Connecting to a domestic flight and connecting to an international flight are the same procedure, except if you can get your bags tagged ITI.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

For the Customs Declaration Form you would put "In Transit" and there are signs for connecting passengers not docking in the USA. Ask the US Border Patrol Rep to direct you and it helps to have your connecting boarding pass in hand to show the rep that you are transiting.

It seems easier to connect in Europe rather than in the USA. I have done Schengen to Non Schengen flights and vice versa without an issue.

If you could try switching to the AeroMexico flight to Europe you may be better off.

You should allow yourself at least 3 hours to make the connection for lines depending on your Passport you may be able to use the Mobile Passport Control or Automated Passport Control Machines if not there would be lines for clearing customs, you may be asked to go to secondary screening and then TSA security.

You've obviously never transited in the US for ITI.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

There is no such thing as an "International Transit Passenger" in the U.S. and has not been for over 20 years.

All arriving passengers are processed through CBP. If you require a visa or ESTA for the US, you will require it for these two sets of flights.

I-T-I is simply ad administrative convenience and CBP may still inspect bags if it wishes.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat - (1MM)
You will have to collect your bags at JFK after clearing Immigrations. JFK does not offer the ITI mentioned in the other posts. After exiting customs turn left and you will be at the DL transfer counters. There you can give you bag to DL to be sent to the LHR flight. Both of your flights will operate from T4 so the connection should not be too difficult.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kennedytower
You will have to collect your bags at JFK after clearing Immigrations. JFK does not offer the ITI mentioned in the other posts. After exiting customs turn left and you will be at the DL transfer counters. There you can give you bag to DL to be sent to the LHR flight. Both of your flights will operate from T4 so the connection should not be too difficult.
Did they stop it? I thought I've done it in past.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.