Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GUC Use > Banging Head vs. Wall (Rant)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by lucycan
I have never ONCE had luck using GUCs on partner metal. Its just like every other partner promise - its simply marketing NOT reality. SAD.
The worst is when they claim there's no available inventory for intra-Europe business-class flights, when KLM and Air France simply move the curtain based on seat demand. The reality is if there are economy-class seats available then there is business-class availability on intra-Europe.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:54 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The worst is when they claim there's no available inventory for intra-Europe business-class flights, when KLM and Air France simply move the curtain based on seat demand. The reality is if there are economy-class seats available then there is business-class availability on intra-Europe.
You could just as easily say, they block off the middle seats so they're giving you an extra half seat for free. So why would they ever make upgrade space available when they could just move the curtain forward and sell more coach seats?

I don't know what Delta pays their partners when we use GUCs, but I suspect it's less than the possible revenue from the empty middle seats that adding another row of business would create.

In long haul if the airlines forecast they're not going to sell all their business class seats the cost of giving someone an upgrade isn't that much. But to slide your short haul European business class curtain back for minimal incremental revenue is very costly.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by bgriff
You could just as easily say, they block off the middle seats so they're giving you an extra half seat for free. So why would they ever make upgrade space available when they could just move the curtain forward and sell more coach seats?

I don't know what Delta pays their partners when we use GUCs, but I suspect it's less than the possible revenue from the empty middle seats that adding another row of business would create.

In long haul if the airlines forecast they're not going to sell all their business class seats the cost of giving someone an upgrade isn't that much. But to slide your short haul European business class curtain back for minimal incremental revenue is very costly.
I have read that airlines such as British Airways make no money on intra-Europe business-class. They only offer it because passengers arriving in international business-class don't want to sit in economy.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Jul 12, 2017 at 6:35 am
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I have read that airlines such as British Airways make no money on intra-Europe business-class. They only offer it because of passengers arriving in international business-class don't want to sit in economy.
Have you looked at the fares for intra-Europe business class? I will be shocked if they cannot make money by charging obscene fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.