Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Shift from GM to PM; Impact to existing PNRs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shift from GM to PM; Impact to existing PNRs?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Question Shift from GM to PM; Impact to existing PNRs?

A few days ago I moved up to PM. I had three pre-existing domestic reservations at that time and after 24 hours neither re-booked to C+. I called and DL shifted me to C+ on all segments.

Then T-5 has come and gone, then T-4... now I am at T-3 for the first of my three trips, and despite F being wide open, nothing... What do you think, is revenue management really not releasing PM upgrade space in F, or is there some IT-related workaround required (e.g. remove my PM# from each PNR and add it again)? The former seems unlikely to me, as this is a flight where even as a lowl(ier) GM I was routinely upgraded to F prior to check-in.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:03 pm
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
Possible that you have to un-request and then re-request your upgrade to first class. However since time of request is a very distant tiebreaker, it may be worth a call to ask what's up.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
To get your C+ they already had to do the take it put and put it back approach. They didnt simply just assign you a seat. Even DM have troubles sometimes getting advance upgrades.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter, 2.9MM; 2019 PM and falling; Kettle everywhere else
Originally Posted by flyerCO
To get your C+ they already had to do the take it put and put it back approach. They didnt simply just assign you a seat. Even DM have troubles sometimes getting advance upgrades.
In my experience this year "sometimes" equates to almost never.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Recent trip to CLT this week on Tuesday and back Wednesday. As a DM, no upgrades cleared at the window despite there being 9-10 open F seats on every segment at the window.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:03 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
You can easily check for RU inventory.

When logged into Delta.com do a dummy booking search for your itineraries and see if they show as "Upgrade Available" or "Upgrade Eliglible". If the former there is RU space and you should rerequest.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 6:09 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
I'm a DM/1MM with the Reserve Amex. Number of upgrades that have cleared at the window this year? Zero, including my upcoming trip.

(To be fair, many of these are hub-hub flights between SEA and MSP/DTW ans I'm probably being FCMed out by GMs or PMs tired of not clearing. :-)
Old Jun 15, 2017, 9:02 pm

Zero upgrades this year as a PM on about 25 round trips. Don't expect much.

I did use 280,000 sky miles to take my family of eight to Costa Rica this year. So some good things still exist.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by C W
You can easily check for RU inventory.

When logged into Delta.com do a dummy booking search for your itineraries and see if they show as "Upgrade Available" or "Upgrade Eliglible". If the former there is RU space and you should rerequest.
All segments are upgrade eligible. I just re-requested and will wait 24h. Thanks for the hint!
Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:52 am
C W

Originally Posted by blue2002
All segments are upgrade eligible. I just re-requested and will wait 24h. Thanks for the hint!
Upgrade eligible means that there is no RU inventory. Therefore your upgrades will likely go to the gate. If there was RU inventory it would say "Upgrade Available" and you would clear into FC immediately upon requesting.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Glob, EX-AS 75k
Thanks for posting. I also just bumped up to PM this week. On several reservations, I was upgraded to C+. However in all of those cases I was ticketed separately from my husband so I called and asked if we can link reservations and upgrade him as well. They could not, said that only works for First upgrades?

Is upgrading a companion on a separate PNR supposed to work?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by C W
Upgrade eligible means that there is no RU inventory. Therefore your upgrades will likely go to the gate. If there was RU inventory it would say "Upgrade Available" and you would clear into FC immediately upon requesting.
Well, following the upgrade re-request, the upgrade to F just happened at T-2. Not entirely indicative, as that could still be happening based on GM rules. As I re-requested for all segments, the next one will be a better indicator.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:18 am
C W

Originally Posted by blue2002
Well, following the upgrade re-request, the upgrade to F just happened at T-2. Not entirely indicative, as that could still be happening based on GM rules. As I re-requested for all segments, the next one will be a better indicator.
Congrats on scoring the upgrade!
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: UA, DL-PM
Originally Posted by michellt
Thanks for posting. I also just bumped up to PM this week. On several reservations, I was upgraded to C+. However in all of those cases I was ticketed separately from my husband so I called and asked if we can link reservations and upgrade him as well. They could not, said that only works for First upgrades?

Is upgrading a companion on a separate PNR supposed to work?
Nope...generally, companions need to be on the same PNR, I believe.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:32 am
Original Poster

I can confirm: Re-requesting all upgrades appears to have nudged the system to notice my new higher status. I am now getting upgrades at T-5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.