Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Premium select equipped planes a devaluation for Medallion members?

Premium select equipped planes a devaluation for Medallion members?

Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by mother-
What did they do with all the extra width from removing the seat? Isn't that basically the width of the Y seats in a 350?
While Delta's press release claims the premium-economy seat width is "up to" 19 inches, the Delta website says the seat width is 18 1/2 inches. The same website says economy-class seats are 18 inches See here:
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...rbus-a350.html

Basically, premium-economy is the economy-class seat with a slightly nicer armrest and a footrest.

It's really too bad that Delta didn't at least use space it gained by using narrower seats to separate the four seats in the center section of premium-economy into pairs of two with a privacy divide between each pair. Siting in the middle two seats will be far from a "premium" experience, especially if you don't know your neighbors.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:40 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
While Delta's press release claims the premium-economy seat width is "up to" 19 inches, the Delta website says the seat width is 18 1/2 inches. The same website says economy-class seats are 18 inches See here:

Basically, premium-economy is the economy-class seat with a slightly nicer armrest and a footrest.

It's really too bad that Delta didn't at least use space it gained by using narrower seats to separate the four seats in the center section of premium-economy into pairs of two with a privacy divide between each pair. Siting in the middle two seats will be far from a "premium" experience, especially if you don't know your neighbors.
I think the 777 seats will be 19" considering the wider cabin.

Personally I would like the extra separation from the wider armrests more than a wider cushion.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
the armrest does add more space between pax than a regular Y seat, that's no small thing. Also, in addition to the two things you mention above, don't forget increased pitch & recline.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The seat map DeltaOne looks almost EXACTLY like the 767 DeltaOne

I wonder if it will feel like the "Beloved" 767 Seat with a door LOL
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Keith2004
The seat map DeltaOne looks almost EXACTLY like the 767 DeltaOne

I wonder if it will feel like the "Beloved" 767 Seat with a door LOL
The A350 is 3 feet wider than the 767, so hopefully this will be felt.

Delta lists seat width on the 767 as 21" and 22-24" on the A350.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
the armrest does add more space between pax than a regular Y seat, that's no small thing. Also, in addition to the two things you mention above, don't forget increased pitch & recline.
Except the armrests are much narrower than an armrest on a domestic first-class seat, which is what Delta's premium-economy is being compared against by most commentators here and elsewhere.

The only domestic first-class seat comparable to the premium-economy seat is the much-hated seat on the 767-300. 38 inches of pitch and 18 1/2 inches of width. However, the 767-300 is 2x2x2 whereas premium-economy on the A350 is 2x4x2.

The reality is Delta could have gotten innovative with the A350. It could have installed a bar for business-class passengers, much like Virgin and other carriers. It could have went 2x3x2 in premium-economy. It didn't.

I want to try it, but I honestly think that buying a row of three economy-class seats will be the most comfortable option unless you have the budget for business-class.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by bubbashow
All of these "contributions" of "I wouldn't pay this, I wouldn't pay that". Delta isn't after the low revenue flyer making those claims. Delta is after the corporate contract that has no problem paying a preferred rate. I thought the new program was supposed to flush out the marginals?
Fundamentally flawed logic. Corporate contracts will allow for J -- or they won't. Don't think corporate contracts will specify these different tiers of travel.

At least mine won't.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jrl767
have you perfected the art of reverse travel? the TATL overnight is eastbound, the long day would be after the westbound ...
I go the other way around the globe....it REALLY boosts the MQMs

Yes, I meant to say the other way; hopefully the jist of what I was saying got across
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium

I am right there with you on that, but on the low end that's only a 1" difference. The Seats on 747 and 330 look and feel way more comfortable, wont actually know till I try 350, but hoping they feel better or as good as 330/747 seat.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:01 pm

Consider this:

Between October 30, when the A350 launches and the end of 2017, the cheapest business-class ticket from MDW, ORD or DTW to NRT that I could find using the calendar mode on Google Flights was $5,487.

The cheapest premium-economy ticket, again for the same cities and same dates using the same method searching, was $2,087.

The cheapest economy-class ticket, again for the same cities and same dates using the same method searching, was $1,157.

If you can't afford business-class and don't think you'll like premium-economy, you could buy an entire row of three seats on the A350 (the layout is 3x3x3 in economy-class) for $3,471. That may sound crazy, but you would have poor man's business-class. While you wouldn't receive the added amenities of premium-economy -- some might call those amenities lipstick on a pig -- you would probably sleep much, much better, especially if you brought aboard a good pillow and blanket.

Airlines have realized that its not good business to be selling flights too cheap too early, since every discount seat sold is one less seat that could be sold to a last minute traveler who is willing to pay big money to get where they need to go. It has become engrained in people's minds that the earlier they buy the ticket, the cheaper it will be, but this is no longer true. More and more, the cheapest fares on routes I fly frequently are only two weeks in advance of the flight. DL is just throwing some numbers out there to see if people will bite to have the privilege of being some of the first to experience the A350. You won't get a true idea of the pricing until at least later in the year and possibly after they have been in service for a few months. I would expect prices to come down considerably, considering I just paid $2K for a J ticket on DL and prices in PE on Virgin Atlantic can be had for <$1K if you time it right.

The international C+ product wasn't very good, so I would have a hard time saying its a devaluation. Personally, as someone who is willing to pay for J on my own dime, I like having a mid-priced option if J prices are outrageous so I don't have to fly in steerage.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Keith2004
I am right there with you on that, but on the low end that's only a 1" difference. The Seats on 747 and 330 look and feel way more comfortable, wont actually know till I try 350, but hoping they feel better or as good as 330/747 seat.
To me, it looks like these are the best seats:

Business-class: 5A, 5D, 7A, 7D. If the galley behind business-class is only used for beverages then I'd add 8A and 8D to the list, although passengers at the back of the cabin, depending on the purser and catering, may not get their preferred choice of meals.

Premium-economy: 1A, 1B, 1H, 1J.

Economy-class: 30A, 30C, 30G, 30J, 40B, 40C, 40G, 40H, 41A, 41J. If as with other aircraft, the last row (55) is blocked off for last-minute purchases from passengers with elite status then there's always a chance you could snag an entire row on a less-than-full flight.

Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:15 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
To me, it looks like these are the best seats:

Business-class: 5A, 5D, 7A, 7D. If the galley behind business-class is only used for beverages then I'd add 8A and 8D to the list, although passengers at the back of the cabin, depending on the purser and catering, may not get their preferred choice of meals.
I am frustrated by the choice to have fewer true window seats than not. Perhaps there is a technical reason, but I despise the aisle-side seats on the 767, and even with the door I still would want to be closer to the window to see out better.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC

What exactly does 22-24" mean? Why not say 22-29" when it's only 22"?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox
What exactly does 22-24" mean? Why not say 22-29" when it's only 22"?
My guess is that some of the seats are 22" wide and others 24". Either split by center/window or, hopefully, most are 24 but just the even row windows are 22 which limits it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.