What does RY mean for an upgrade?

Old Jun 16, 17, 11:07 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: SEA
Programs: Delta
Posts: 28
What does RY mean for an upgrade?

Hi, I just joined. Today on my flight ATL/SEA, I supposedly used my RUC and got an upgrades seat on the 767 . I thought I'll see an RU code but instead I for an RY. What does that mean? Coincidentally, my RUC doesn't seem to have been marked used either I think. Thanks all in advance.
Casily is offline  
Old Jun 16, 17, 11:13 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Programs: Delta DM
Posts: 60
Disclaimer: I've never used a RUC I just read this forum too much.

RY (formerly RP) is the booking class used for mileage and certificate upgrades. RU is for complimentary medallion upgrades.

Your RUC will only be marked closed once the flight is reticketed (different process from clearing). You can tell if you were reticketed if your ticket number has changed from what you were emailed when you originally booked your flight.

There is some anecdotal evidence about clearing into RUC space and having a valid ticket but not having the RUC closed, however I wouldn't count on it. If you want to make sure everything is in order the right way, I would call reservation and ask them to make sure the RUC has processed correctly, if you want to hop the RUC stays open, I would say nothing.
ograff is offline  
Old Jun 16, 17, 11:16 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: SEA
Programs: Delta
Posts: 28
Originally Posted by ograff View Post
Disclaimer: I've never used a RUC I just read this forum too much.

RY (formerly RP) is the booking class used for mileage and certificate upgrades. RU is for complimentary medallion upgrades.

Your RUC will only be marked closed once the flight is reticketed (different process from clearing). You can tell if you were reticketed if your ticket number has changed from what you were emailed when you originally booked your flight.

There is some anecdotal evidence about clearing into RUC space and having a valid ticket but not having the RUC closed, however I wouldn't count on it. If you want to make sure everything is in order the right way, I would call reservation and ask them to make sure the RUC has processed correctly, if you want to hop the RUC stays open, I would say nothing.
Thanks. I was expecting RP. so many changes with their codes lately :S
Casily is offline  
Old Jun 16, 17, 11:36 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 17,773
These seem to male some sense. RY makes sense, you're in R but on an upgraded from Y ticket. RU, you're in R, but on an unlimited free upgrade.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Jun 16, 17, 11:43 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: SEA
Programs: Delta
Posts: 28
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
These seem to male some sense. RY makes sense, you're in R but on an upgraded from Y ticket. RU, you're in R, but on an unlimited free upgrade.
But I was definitely not in Y. Some cheap class no higher than H.
Casily is offline  
Old Jun 17, 17, 12:00 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 17,773
Originally Posted by Casily View Post
But I was definitely not in Y. Some cheap class no higher than H.
Y means the Y cabin. Regardless of fare class, your fare is for the Y cabin. F, J, or Y generally refers to the cabin unless one indicates they're talking about a fare class.

There's a newbie dictionary here on FT that explains abbreviations. I'm not sure where its located, hopefully someone can provide a link.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Jun 17, 17, 12:05 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Programs: DL PM, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
Posts: 813
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
There's a newbie dictionary here on FT that explains abbreviations. I'm not sure where its located, hopefully someone can provide a link.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glossary.php
pharmawalk is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: