What does RY mean for an upgrade?

Old Jun 16, 17, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
What does RY mean for an upgrade?

Hi, I just joined. Today on my flight ATL/SEA, I supposedly used my RUC and got an upgrades seat on the 767 . I thought I'll see an RU code but instead I for an RY. What does that mean? Coincidentally, my RUC doesn't seem to have been marked used either I think. Thanks all in advance.
Old Jun 16, 17, 11:13 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Disclaimer: I've never used a RUC I just read this forum too much.

RY (formerly RP) is the booking class used for mileage and certificate upgrades. RU is for complimentary medallion upgrades.

Your RUC will only be marked closed once the flight is reticketed (different process from clearing). You can tell if you were reticketed if your ticket number has changed from what you were emailed when you originally booked your flight.

There is some anecdotal evidence about clearing into RUC space and having a valid ticket but not having the RUC closed, however I wouldn't count on it. If you want to make sure everything is in order the right way, I would call reservation and ask them to make sure the RUC has processed correctly, if you want to hop the RUC stays open, I would say nothing.
Old Jun 16, 17, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ograff View Post
Disclaimer: I've never used a RUC I just read this forum too much.

RY (formerly RP) is the booking class used for mileage and certificate upgrades. RU is for complimentary medallion upgrades.

Your RUC will only be marked closed once the flight is reticketed (different process from clearing). You can tell if you were reticketed if your ticket number has changed from what you were emailed when you originally booked your flight.

There is some anecdotal evidence about clearing into RUC space and having a valid ticket but not having the RUC closed, however I wouldn't count on it. If you want to make sure everything is in order the right way, I would call reservation and ask them to make sure the RUC has processed correctly, if you want to hop the RUC stays open, I would say nothing.
Thanks. I was expecting RP. so many changes with their codes lately :S
Old Jun 16, 17, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
These seem to male some sense. RY makes sense, you're in R but on an upgraded from Y ticket. RU, you're in R, but on an unlimited free upgrade.
Old Jun 16, 17, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
These seem to male some sense. RY makes sense, you're in R but on an upgraded from Y ticket. RU, you're in R, but on an unlimited free upgrade.
But I was definitely not in Y. Some cheap class no higher than H.
Old Jun 17, 17, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Casily View Post
But I was definitely not in Y. Some cheap class no higher than H.
Y means the Y cabin. Regardless of fare class, your fare is for the Y cabin. F, J, or Y generally refers to the cabin unless one indicates they're talking about a fare class.

There's a newbie dictionary here on FT that explains abbreviations. I'm not sure where its located, hopefully someone can provide a link.
Old Jun 17, 17, 12:05 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
There's a newbie dictionary here on FT that explains abbreviations. I'm not sure where its located, hopefully someone can provide a link.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glossary.php

Search this Thread
Search Engine: