Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Just a nice little story where a barely-missed upgrade turned out to be a blessing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just a nice little story where a barely-missed upgrade turned out to be a blessing

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2017, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more

A couple of nights ago, I was on Delta 2440, the 12:55 AM "red eye" from SEA to MSP. As a Silver Medallion, I recognize that upgrades to F are going to be few and far between, but I've actually had amazingly good luck this year (Excluding RJ flights with no F cabin, I'm batting 4 for 8 on upgrades to F so far in 2017).

Anyway, for a half a day leading up to departure, I was #5 on the upgrade list with 6 F seats available. About 3 hours before departure, I fell to #6 , but I held steady at #6 and I was starting to think it might actually happen. Then, suddenly, 2 minutes before boarding I suddenly get "demoted" to #7 and lose my upgrade (makes me wonder "how did THAT happen?" and "who's the jerk who bumped me out of F?" [no, of course, he or she is not really a jerk but you cannot help but feel negatively towards that passenger]).

So I'm all p.o.'d. I board the flight and take my aisle seat in Comfort+ (my "consolation" upgrade).

But, guess what, the boarding door closes, and I'm the ONLY one in my row! Three beautiful Comfort+ seats all to myself, and fortunately I am NOT in the first row of Comfort + with immovable arm rests. Maybe that person who "got my upgrade" was the person who was to have been in my row. So, shortly after takeoff, I fashioned myself a "bed" spanning all three seats, and fell asleep, and next thing you know I wake up over southwestern Minnesota and we're 25 minutes from landing. It was awesome! Better than F! A blessing in disguise that I missed the upgrade! For an overnight flight where the primary interest is being able to sleep, I'd much rather have a row to myself than a seat in F.

Jus thought I'd relay this story even though it doesn't really have a point.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 5:22 am

Not entirely the same but many a times I looked on with envy at those regular seats with only a single pax in the row while I sat in my C+. It is actually quite rare to see empty C+ seats.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 5:50 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by andrewk829
. . . . .fell asleep, and next thing you know I wake up over southwestern Minnesota and we're 25 minutes from landing.
So, you didn't mind missing out on the champagne breakfast buffet and flaming dessert cart up front?!?

Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: Delta - GM
Originally Posted by davetravels
So, you didn't mind missing out on the champagne breakfast buffet and flaming dessert cart up front?!?

Ever since they burned my eyebrows off, not so in love with the with flaming desert cart.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, GOES
Which begs the question; do they ever serve baked alaska for desert on AS?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 2:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by PayItForward
Not entirely the same but many a times I looked on with envy at those regular seats with only a single pax in the row while I sat in my C+. It is actually quite rare to see empty C+ seats.
Part of the problem is that GAs tend to assign seats at the gate from front to back. Kettles without seat assignments are placed into C+ as well as nonrevs.

It would be easy to make C+ more attractive by changing the policy to fill C+ and especially C+ middle seats last. Under the current rules, people should be less willing to pay for C+ since there's almost zero chance of having an middle empty seat even on a fairly empty seat and OTOH if you avoid getting (buying) a seat assignment, your odds are pretty good of getting C+ for free at the gate.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:30 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EditingFX
Which begs the question; do they ever serve baked alaska for desert on AS?

Trust me, you don't want what AS is serving. Their catering comes out of a bizarro portal to a different dimension. A giant plate containing only grapefruit? Microwave style mystery meat potstickers? Chicken gristle skewers? You name it, they've put it in front of me.

In Y, the Alaska buy on board food is actually quite tasty. But up front, it's been grim for a very long time. They've made some slight improvements lately, but there was nowhere to go but up...

For me, they're a fabulous Y airline and a mediocre to poor F airline.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by davetravels

On this route, one of the shortest redeyes out there, I wouldn't mind missing out on the whole dang flight if it meant I could sleep the whole way. I don't care if there's free flow Dom Perignon and caviar...
Old Jun 16, 2017, 11:50 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by PayItForward
A lot of my flights have a lot of empty C+ seats..I guess it depends on the routes. I frequently notice that 2+3 seatings on planes usually have the middle seat of the "3" seat empty.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andrewk829

So I'm all p.o.'d. I board the flight and take my aisle seat in Comfort+ (my "consolation" upgrade).
Oh the humanity of having to do the the walk of shame to C+.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Not on a red eye, but a few times I have been in the C+ bulkhead row of 3 seats with nobody else or with only one other person. When flying alone, I actually find this more comfortable than F because there is more space between me and the stranger next to me. F is nice but can still be pretty cozy.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Last year I was upgraded to 1A on an MD88 and upon boarding I saw how empty the cabin was and asked the FA if I could take my original seat. He said no probelm. I got row 11 on the 3 side all to myself.

Was one of the best DL flights I have taken in the past 2 years.
andrewk829 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.