Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Requires Airport visit prior to Flights to confirm Credit Card and Identity

Delta Requires Airport visit prior to Flights to confirm Credit Card and Identity

Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat

Last time I posted here I was Platinum, now I am nothing, just some dude with more miles on American than Delta but still with status on neither. However, I have started to fly from JFK to SDQ (Intl to the Dominican Republic) only on Delta. My last 2 trips were fine. I booked 2 weeks in advanced and had no issues.

My last trip less than a month ago. I returned the 21st of May.

Today I book a flight for the 27th and after booking, I am told I can not check in online and must check in at the airport and must bring the credit card used for the purchase of ticket plus valid state ID. One would think if I used the card multiple times before with Delta (Last year this year and the year before) they would realize its a legit credit card, actually its a debit card.

After contacting Delta they told me this is a policy for some international destinations, and the Dominican Republic was added to the list, they also informed me I can go anytime before the flight to verify my credit card and identity. They just want to see the card.

Kind of annoying, especially since parking isn't cheap at JFK.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:46 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
Last time I posted here I was Platinum, now I am nothing, just some dude with more miles on American than Delta but still with status on neither. However, I have started to fly from JFK to SDQ (Intl to the Dominican Republic) only on Delta. My last 2 trips were fine. I booked 2 weeks in advanced and had no issues.

Today I book a flight for the 27th and after booking, I am told I can not check in online and must check in at the airport and must bring the credit card used for the purchase of ticket plus valid state ID. One would think if I used the card multiple times before with Delta (Last year this year and the year before) they would realize its a legit credit card, actually its a debit card.

After contacting Delta they told me this is a policy for some international destinations, and the Dominican Republic was added to the list, they also informed me I can go anytime before the flight to verify my credit card and identity. They just want to see the card.
Very normal for this route. I fly this route many times a year and around 40% of the time I'm required to present the credit card. I've been using the same card for over 8 years and this has always been the case. Even worse, as I posted a few days ago, I paid the difference between Economy and Business Class for my wife who was flying this route and the ticket got "suspended" by DL until we showed our passports and credit cards at the airport.

I have a ORY-JFK-SDQ booking for next month and I was advised during the booking process that, once again, I have to show my card, which will be when I arrive at JFK since AF cannot do this verification on behalf of DL when I check-in at ORY.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Ahh so SDQ wasn't added to the route recently as they claimed then. I can understand why it's required for this route, considering some of the rental car places ask for $4000 deposits. Just thought it was new for this route as the delta rep stated.

It will be the 3rd time I fly the route, and I almost purchased the biz class ticket as it was 814 versus 634 for the Comfort plus. But it's just a 4 hour flight I'll live in comfort plus.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
DL, along with UA & AA, as well as several non-US carriers, use the same anti-fraud vendor which runs purchases through an algorithm and identifies purchases with a high fraud potential.

The algorithm is, of course, proprietary and particularly sensitive because if the "bad guys" knew exactly what it was, they would figure out how to evade it.

Nonetheless, tickets to and originating in high-fraud zones are big red flags. Add a couple of other data points and you are in the jackpot.

Doesn't make you a fraud, just means that there is a risk which DL is not prepared to take. Because DL and possibly others, but not the customer, bear 100% of the fraud risk with a CC, that's the solution.

I am surprised that DL will not permit you to submit copies of the relevant documents in advance as other carriers do, although it is often from a business email account where the carrier can verify an IP address.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:00 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Ahh so SDQ wasn't added to the route recently as they claimed then. I can understand why it's required for this route, considering some of the rental car places ask for $4000 deposits. Just thought it was new for this route as the delta rep stated.

It will be the 3rd time I fly the route, and I almost purchased the biz class ticket as it was 814 versus 634 for the Comfort plus. But it's just a 4 hour flight I'll live in comfort plus.
Credit Card fraud is a huge problem in the DR. I guess this is the main reason why DL has the destination in the naughty list.

Good move. The food is nothing to write about, so the only advantage is the larger seat and avoiding the long check-in and security queues at JFK.

If you were aiming to reach silver status then the extra MQMs could help.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:09 pm

If you get to JFK a bit early for your flight you can show the card at that time and be checked in at the counter.

Also I believe that you can go to any airport with a Delta ticket counter if you want to go before the flight date if JFK isn't the closest to you. LGA/HPN/SWF/EWR/BDL etc.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

My only complaint is I wish I could do this with out going to the airport. I don't plan to take luggage with me (aside form my carry-on) and wanted to arrive at the airport an hour before the flight. (TSA Pre-check and clear)

Yeah delta even suggested using their office in manhattan but that office closed long ago. They also said I could use the kiosk to check-in but to swipe the card.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
My only complaint is I wish I could do this with out going to the airport. I don't plan to take luggage with me (aside form my carry-on) and wanted to arrive at the airport an hour before the flight. (TSA Pre-check and clear)

Yeah delta even suggested using their office in manhattan but that office closed long ago.
You cam still show up just before departure. Theres a special checkin for those in business/sky priority. (T4 departure level, all the way tp the right) All you do is show the card and they print put the BP. No need to show up any earlier then you normally would.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You cam still show up just before departure. Theres a special checkin for those in business/sky priority. (T4 departure level, all the way tp the right) All you do is show the card and they print put the BP. No need to show up any earlier then you normally would.
I don't trust T4 Sky Priority, even when I purchased Comfort Plus which puts me in Sky Priority they refused access to the Sky Priority lane. Sometimes they let me use it sometimes they don't. Really don't want to risk anything.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I don't trust T4 Sky Priority, even when I purchased Comfort Plus which puts me in Sky Priority they refused access to the Sky Priority lane. Sometimes they let me use it sometimes they don't. Really don't want to risk anything.
C+ doesnt give Sky Priority, it gives SKY boarding privileges. FC/BUSINESS/GM or higher get Sky Priority.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Comfort Plus grants Sky Priority boarding, but NOT Sky Priority checkin, fwiw.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
C+ doesnt give Sky Priority, it gives SKY boarding privileges. FC/BUSINESS/GM or higher get Sky Priority.
Ahh ok, explains why I only been successful sometimes. I'll still keep trying though.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 4:41 pm

Yep, this has happened to me every trip to SDQ and generally I do not have the original card with me as I only use my DL Amex to buy tickets. However a quick call to Amex by the check in person usually resolves it quickly.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum

Kind of annoying, especially since parking isn't cheap at JFK.
So just showing up three hours early for regular check-in with the CC in question will not suffice??
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Dalewood
So just showing up three hours early for regular check-in with the CC in question will not suffice??
I don't think the OP can easily go to the airport that early. Plus, doing so would be a big waste of time.

A solution (which wastes even more time, but not on the day of departure) would be to go to a DL counter at an airport some days before the flight, possibly LGA (or HPN, EWR etc.) instead of JFK if that would be more convenient.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.