Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Preboarders Sitting in Emergency Exit Rows

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Preboarders Sitting in Emergency Exit Rows

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2017, 2:46 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by justhere
Why?
because busybodies need to make sure that if anyone gets any sort of favor or something good happens to them that they MUST pay for it one way or the other.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 3:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DougSkymiles
...or require all people wanting to preboard to get special boarding pass from front counter or GA. That way DL could be assured that "those needing additional time or assistance in boarding" were not occupying emergency exits.
IIRC this is what Southwest does, but I wouldn't like the precedent of DL copying WN. I buy tickets on DL partly because I do not want to fly on WN.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 3:40 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC this is what Southwest does, but I wouldn't like the precedent of DL copying WN. I buy tickets on DL partly because I do not want to fly on WN.
That seems irrational. For any aspect where you WN's policy/product/whatever is not as good as DL's, then it's inferior for whatever reason it's inferior, not simply because "that's how WN does it".

Or to put it another way, if you were to discover something (purely hypothetical if you like) that you thought WN actually did better, would you still hope that DL did not adopt it out of spite? Or would you just refuse to acknowledge that it's better

Speaking of copying good things, I noticed stroopwafels in the snack basket this morning (Delta Connection flight operated by CP)
Old Jun 16, 2017, 3:42 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by Zorak
That seems irrational. For any aspect where you WN's policy/product/whatever is not as good as DL's, then it's inferior for whatever reason it's inferior, not simply because "that's how WN does it".

Or to put it another way, if you were to discover something (purely hypothetical if you like) that you thought WN actually did better, would you still hope that DL did not adopt it out of spite? Or would you just refuse to acknowledge that it's better

Speaking of copying good things, I noticed stroopwafels in the snack basket this morning (Delta Connection flight operated by CP)
It probably is irrational, but I also have a lot of ambient anger towards the dumpster-fire that is WN, so I can understand the sentiment
Old Jun 16, 2017, 3:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Zorak

I fear slippery slopes.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
Every time I have pre-boarded I was allowed to leave the plane without waiting for the entire plan to empty. I believe this is because I was sitting within 2 or 3 rows of the main door and had an aisle seat. A couple of times I the airline wanted me to go first because I had a close connection and an agent was going to wheel me to a gate on the other side of the airport.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Open Jaw
Every time I have pre-boarded I was allowed to leave the plane without waiting for the entire plan to empty. I believe this is because I was sitting within 2 or 3 rows of the main door and had an aisle seat. A couple of times I the airline wanted me to go first because I had a close connection and an agent was going to wheel me to a gate on the other side of the airport.
You were "allowed" to leave without waiting because there's nothing stopping you. The sentiment that sometimes appears about making preboarders wait till everyone is off is purely a selfish one.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by justhere
You were "allowed" to leave without waiting because there's nothing stopping you. The sentiment that sometimes appears about making preboarders wait till everyone is off is purely a selfish one.
I understand that. My only point was no one asked me to wait until everyone else disembarked.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Open Jaw
I understand that. My only point was no one asked me to wait until everyone else disembarked.
Just please don't block the jetway by walking down the middle very, very slowly. Please.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
However, I remember during the road warrior training at the DL ATL DO, there was some emphasis on putting the door on the seat and not just tossing it away from the aircraft. Our instructor speculated that this was to avoid damage to the door rather than concern that it would be in the way and perhaps impede deployment of the slide from another door (window exits are overwing and don't have slides on any aircraft type AFAIK) or block passengers from getting away from the aircraft after exiting, but I wasn't convinced.
Most have slides for overwing exits. It would be a heck of a fall otherwise. They dont detach for use as rafts though like boarding doors.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by zitsky
Just please don't block the jetway by walking down the middle very, very slowly. Please.
While injured, I never blocked the jetway. The only problem I had was with a rude pax who thought he was better than everyone else. The GA stopped the arrogant fool from trying to cut in front of me while boarding and placed him at the end of the line for being a jerk.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
However, I remember during the road warrior training at the DL ATL DO, ... (window exits are overwing and don't have slides on any aircraft type AFAIK) ...
Some larger aircraft (as in higher from the ground) have overwing slides (which do not deploy after ditching):
Old Jun 17, 2017, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
there's generally a line in the safety briefing to the effect of "the main (as in 'full-size') doors have detachable slides that may be used as rafts")

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.