Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Preboarders Sitting in Emergency Exit Rows

Preboarders Sitting in Emergency Exit Rows

Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: DL Dia, Marriott Plat
Stillontheroad - Excellent observation think I have witnessed that!

Preboarding for first class & diamonds seems like a lot of diamonds these days on delta gate agents need to kick them out of line if not diamond shaming them in front of everyone that will keep them from doing that again very rarely do you see gate agents enforcing this once in a while you get a good one who publicly shames someone, love that when it happens just a little boarding gate humor.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: DL PM
Slightly off topic, but related: On a recent flight an elderly passenger in an exit row answered "I'm not sure I could" to the "Willing and able" question. She was moved to a different seat. I was impressed by her honesty.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by thesaints
There are disabilities which manifest themselves only on boarding and not on deboarding.
Everyone of us has witnessed school children moving lethargically when reentering class after a recess, only to be able to sprint out as soon as the bell chimes the end of the school day.
There seem to be a lot of those in NY -- my JFK-LAX flights often have 10 wheelchairs when boarding but only two or three when arriving at LAX...
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Grog
We should really be asking ourselves why we accept the fact that the standard of comfort for exit row seating isn't applied universally throughout the economy section of an aircraft..
This. And I know that all of the MBA's and libertarians will start in about market forces blah blah blah, but I don't care. IMO the government should set a baseline pitch of 34" and width of 18" on any seat and let the market work with those regulations. Nobody can do it profitably unless everyone has to do it.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:49 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
This. And I know that all of the MBA's and libertarians will start in about market forces blah blah blah, but I don't care. IMO the government should set a baseline pitch of 34" and width of 18" on any seat and let the market work with those regulations. Nobody can do it profitably unless everyone has to do it.
This would force 737s and 757s to go 2-3 instead of 3-3. While I despise the 737 with a passion and would love to see them vanish from the face of the earth, that would be quite a difficult transition. Between that and the increased pitch, these planes would be facing a 30%+ increase in CASM which could only be directly passed to consumers. Some regional planes could face even higher cost increases.

Even on planes that could retain their row configurations, like any Airbus, increasing pitch from 31" to 34" would be a 10% increase in CASM and ticket prices. You're right that if all airlines had to conform to this that it would be an even playing field, but I think the economic impact would be highly disproportional. Many FlyerTalkers spend other people's money on their tickets and/or are relatively high income. Such a mandate would most impact those for whom air travel is already expensive.

Ultimately consumers already have the choice to easily get 34" or better pitch on any mainline carrier in the US for a small premium over a coach ticket. The number of these extra-legroom (C+, MCE, E+) seats that are installed and the number of those seats that go to elites for free should illustrate how little demand actually exists for this extra room. For most flyers it simply isn't worth it or they can't afford it, having the government force them to buy and pay for extra-legroom economy does not help these people.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:57 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
We should really be asking ourselves why we accept the fact that the standard of comfort for exit row seating isn't applied universally throughout the economy section of an aircraft.
Exit rows aren't designed for comfort. They're designed to facilitate evacuation. The fact that there's some extra legroom is just a side effect.

If you want more leg room there are other ways to obtain it.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:58 am
pvn
Suspended

You do realize that you can already buy a seat with that much or more space, right?
Old Jun 15, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: DL GM
Disgusting idea on a few levels. Why should anyone pay in order to suddenly become liable based on actually having a certification? Any passenger who goes to all that effort should be PAID, not paying.

We're the tail wagging the dog. We should really be asking ourselves why we accept the fact that the standard of comfort for exit row seating isn't applied universally throughout the economy section of an aircraft.

Before most people would pay for this, they'd pay for business/first.

Again, strive for adequate comfort throughout the economy section. It's morally wrong to keep dangling a safety feature in front of customers and marketing it as a comfort item.
I would pay for this, simply for the lark of seeing the exit doors in action. I sit in the exit row all of the time and always wonder what it would be like to pull the lever (and will the door actually sit across the armrests like in the picture or just slide down and block the aisle?).

I would wager quite a few people would want to take a class like this out of curiosity and/or a real desire for a small bit of extra safety training you could get.

But as a requirement for exit row seating? No way.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 9:02 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by yaychemistry
I would pay for this, simply for the lark of seeing the exit doors in action. I sit in the exit row all of the time and always wonder what it would be like to pull the lever (and will the door actually sit across the armrests like in the picture or just slide down and block the aisle?).

I would wager quite a few people would want to take a class like this out of curiosity and/or a real desire for a small bit of extra safety training you could get.

But as a requirement for exit row seating? No way.
I would also take the class for the experience alone.

Not so into the idea of certification, for liability and more reasons.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Your dismissment of reality with "blah blah blah" doesn't actually dismiss reality. And what you call "profitably" means higher airfares, which for many will mean not being able to fly at all becuase of this would mean to a significant increase in fares to make up for the lost seats, making flying not affordable for many. OTOH, you already have the option to get what you desire. Buy Comfort Plus or First Class. Even on a domestic 767 in FC, you would get your desired 18" width and more than 34" of seat pitch.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, 20 years
Originally Posted by Widgets
People with peanut allergies could need extra time to sanitize their seat and the seats near them. This wouldn't disqualify them for exit row seating. They can't comfortably sanitize nearby seats if they don't preboard.
So I get a wet seat if I happen to sit next to PA or allergic reaction because some unknown substance was spread on my seat. If any seats on a plane need special cleaning/treatment the airline should be the only one doing so!
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:22 am
pvn
Suspended

"unapproved people cleaning seats" should be in the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ain-about.html thread
Old Jun 15, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Originally Posted by stillontheroad
You want to see a perfect example take any flight into MCO. There can be 10 wheelchair pax at boarding and they all are miraculously "cured" upon arriving and rush off the plane with their party. Guess the "magic" of MCO cured them
It is my understanding that the number one destination for miracle flights is LAS.

Last edited by rbwpi; Jun 15, 2017 at 12:16 pm
Old Jun 15, 2017, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
There seem to be a lot of those in NY -- my JFK-LAX flights often have 10 wheelchairs when boarding but only two or three when arriving at LAX...
You may only see 2 chairs, but more can have gotten off, and more often, more will be waiting for chairs to come that haven't arrived.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
How do you get an 18" width seat in a 737? It is built for a 17" seat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.