Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Do I actually have a first class ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2017, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC

So I originally purchased a economy cabin ticket, U fare basis. Flight isn't for a couple months. Had a schedule change and while looking at my itin, was also presented a good deal on an FCM online upgrade offer which I took.

Was sent the receipt that showed my original class of service but with my first class seats, and a section called 'Miscellaneous Service and Fees: RFIC: I' with entries for 'CMFT+ FRST Upsell' and the price I paid for the first class offer.

Thing I'm concerned about is the receipt still showed the original I was emailed shows the original fare basis with the upsell, and when viewing the receipt online still shows my original U bucket and not the P that I'm in when I look at the itinerary.

So this makes me wonder... what is my actual fare basis now, what am I really booked in... and am I going to get the 150% mqm bonus? This concerns me that the ticket is going to be treated as a 'upgrade' and not real first.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 5:54 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Did the ticket get reissued with a new 006 ticket number?
Old Jun 11, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by rylan
So I originally purchased a economy cabin ticket, U fare basis. Flight isn't for a couple months. Had a schedule change and while looking at my itin, was also presented a good deal on an FCM online upgrade offer which I took.

Was sent the receipt that showed my original class of service but with my first class seats, and a section called 'Miscellaneous Service and Fees: RFIC: I' with entries for 'CMFT+ FRST Upsell' and the price I paid for the first class offer.

Thing I'm concerned about is the receipt still showed the original I was emailed shows the original fare basis with the upsell, and when viewing the receipt online still shows my original U bucket and not the P that I'm in when I look at the itinerary.

So this makes me wonder... what is my actual fare basis now, what am I really booked in... and am I going to get the 150% mqm bonus? This concerns me that the ticket is going to be treated as a 'upgrade' and not real first.
Reading this reminds me of how freaking confusing airlines make things these days. Geez.

Good luck.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zorak
Did the ticket get reissued with a new 006 ticket number?
Well thats the confusing part... I see the same ticket number in the receipt, but also a different 'document number' in the misc service fees section that details the paid upgrade... and doing a search by ticket number on the website pulls up the flight info if I use either 006 number.

Wondering if anyone else has taken advantage of the online FCM buy-up and are getting a similar experience?
Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well looks like Delta on twitter helped answer my questions... apparently the new FCM buy-up online is a separate product and doesn't require reticketing... so somehow it magically makes it a first class ticket.

It should earn applicable MQM bonus and be treated like a first class ticket in case of irops... but not sure how exactly that works since the ticket basis still shows the original booked.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Well looks like Delta on twitter helped answer my questions... apparently the new FCM buy-up online is a separate product and doesn't require reticketing... so somehow it magically makes it a first class ticket.

It should earn applicable MQM bonus and be treated like a first class ticket in case of irops... but not sure how exactly that works since the ticket basis still shows the original booked.
For rebooking itll usually go by the class youre seated in, regardless of what you're ticketed in.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So does the new receipt have a Fare Details line and is it the same as the original?
Old Jun 11, 2017, 10:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
For rebooking itll usually go by the class youre seated in, regardless of what you're ticketed in.
Unless you are in F because of a complimentary medallion upgrade. I've been able to be reseated in F but for sure not the same priority as a ticket that was upgraded with cash or an instrument.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 11:15 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
You was issued an EMD - Electronic Miscellaneous Document. No need to re-ticket then. Many oneWorld carriers do like this (e.g
AY) and I have never had any issues.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Unless you are in F because of a complimentary medallion upgrade. I've been able to be reseated in F but for sure not the same priority as a ticket that was upgraded with cash or an instrument.
Even with free upgrases, If rebooked by system itll try and keep you in F unless there's just no other option. Also technically in IRROPS should be kept in F on free upgrades if done by an agent. However ive had multiple agents give pushback on it gpr free upgrades.

Regardless the point was to show that you dont have to be reticketed to get seated in F during rebooking. Simply being seated in F will mean getting rebooked in F. Absent a change in flights, there's no need to reissue the ticket. The EMD will simply suffice to ensure you're kept in F on new flights. Once need to reissue for those new flights the ticket will show F fare class.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Guess its just how their new process works for the FCM buy-up online. I've been used to calling and always having a new ticket sent. Its just the original ticket with same fare details but with the EMD part added showing the paid segment upgrades.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: DL DM; HH gold
Guess its just how their new process works for the FCM buy-up online. I've been used to calling and always having a new ticket sent. Its just the original ticket with same fare details but with the EMD part added showing the paid segment upgrades.
So I guess this will add even more to the confusion of phone agents when trying to SDC? They seem have enough trouble understanding policy as it stands with "all you need is an available premium seat" (or worse: "that G fare is really a coach fare + instant upgrade"). Now they will see the U fare basis and tell you U is unavailable and no SDC for you?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 8:22 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Even with free upgrases, If rebooked by system itll try and keep you in F unless there's just no other option. Also technically in IRROPS should be kept in F on free upgrades if done by an agent. However ive had multiple agents give pushback on it gpr free upgrades.

Regardless the point was to show that you dont have to be reticketed to get seated in F during rebooking. Simply being seated in F will mean getting rebooked in F. Absent a change in flights, there's no need to reissue the ticket. The EMD will simply suffice to ensure you're kept in F on new flights. Once need to reissue for those new flights the ticket will show F fare class.
This is definitely not true for Complimentary Medallion Upgrades -- if there are IRROPS or voluntary flight changes you go back to coach (unless your new flight has inventory available to reclear your upgrade immediately). For certificate- or mileage-funded upgrades there have been some cases of being treated as a premium cabin passenger for changes, but also some cases where that hasn't happened.

I would think these new first class buy-up offers should work like being a confirmed first class passenger, but who knows -- will be interesting to start seeing some data points on these.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:15 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I'm not real familiar with Delta but there's usually fine print attached to all of these offers that state "all original conditions of purchase will apply" such as your change fees and your miles accrued.

Best guess is you won't be getting a 150% bonus.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by drvannostren
I'm not real familiar with Delta but there's usually fine print attached to all of these offers that state "all original conditions of purchase will apply" such as your change fees and your miles accrued.

Best guess is you won't be getting a 150% bonus.
If you're not familiar with DL, please don't *guess* about stuff like this. There are people providing answers here who fly DL a lot and know how DL handles such cases, not only by knowing DL's rules but also from personal experience with exactly the OP's situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.