Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more onboard upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2017, 8:32 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by pharmawalk
is there a list of acronyms somewhere you can point me to?
It wouldn't have helped in this case* but useful to know about in general:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glossary.php

(if using the desktop web site version of FT, it's under Help > Glossary from the list of menus at the top of the page)

*although anyone can suggest new entries as noted at the bottom of the glossary page
Old Jun 10, 2017, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter, 2.9MM; 2019 PM and falling; Kettle everywhere else
This past Wednesday, I received an onboard upgrade SFO-ATL. I was pretty far down the list, #6/2. Apparently after #1 was upgraded there were 2 couples next in line and neither wanted to be separated for the flight so it was my lucky day!

SFO is one of the places that used to make gate announcements regarding YBYL but I haven't heard them recently.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 8:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by davetravels
What happened to the empty seats???

The most recent posting here about this, states, that if the gate agent has time, they should upgrade onboard when possible <I'm sure my paraphrasing is off from the exact lingo>.
This makes sense.

If there is time and the flight can still be closed by T-10, there is no downside. But, anything which delays closing the flight and thus possibly the push is out.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 9:23 pm

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Isn't on-time departure also part of GA's KPI???
Old Jun 10, 2017, 10:28 pm

Programs: DL DM MM Marriott Plat Hertz PC
[QUOTE=Zorak;28427861]It wouldn't have helped in this case* but useful to know about in general:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glossary.php

Thank you for this link....I'd tried (not very hard) to find it for newbie reference.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 12:07 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Sounds like the FA has a friend/family member/wanna be paramour/coworker he/she wanted to move to the F/D1 seat.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 12:58 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Furthermore, on this route, the crew was likely Delta Connection (though maybe there are some mainline flights on this route?). So in this case it would have been DL connection crew telling a mainline DL employee about policy. If I were that GA that would have irritated me.
It also is unprofessional to have this conversation in front of revenue pax....to challenge a colleague publicly on something that was not a safety or security issue and did not require any urgency. My colleagues and I would never do that to each other.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SW A List, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum United 1K
Neither here nor there, but one MSP-IND flight last week had a "Passenger soandso, please refrain from boarding for a possible upgrade" message...
Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I bet a FA has a friend/family member they wanted to upgrade. The other thing that could be is if the flight duration is too short to do a beverage service in Y maybe it was a lazy FA who wanted as few of passengers as possible to wait on.

In my case if if I am going to miss the upgrade by 1 or 2 I'll ask the Gate agent if they will come on board and pull me and if they say no I will just wait for a possible no show/mis connect a lot of times so in my case it wouldn't be saving time in closing the door any earlier anyway, in fact it may cost them more time if I have to wait for the GA to print my boarding pass and board and try to find bin space. If they told me they will pull me and I board and I see seats go out empty or someone else get pulled from the back you better believe I'm going to complain
Old Jun 11, 2017, 9:57 am

The GA at SLC specifically told me three days ago that they could no longer do onboard upgrades. I was first on the list with all F seats checked in. She said if I boarded my name would go off the list and that they had been told not to do onboard upgrades.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by flyerslc
The GA at SLC specifically told me three days ago that they could no longer do onboard upgrades. I was first on the list with all F seats checked in. She said if I boarded my name would go off the list and that they had been told not to do onboard upgrades.
@Widgets, can you confirm or deny? Was there a policy change despite other recent reports that the policy change was exactly the opposite?
Old Jun 11, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: DL DM MM Marriott Plat Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flyerslc
Last week PHX to LAX #1 on the list with 2 F seats open, when I asked the GA if I would get an F seat she says to board and that I'd be issued new BP when I scan....wasn't issued new BP when I scanned so I started back to ask GA what's up, she stearnly says to board which I do. Just as I enter the plane my phone says seat is now 4A and I took my seat in F.

First time this has happened to me.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 2:41 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
My gf and I were seated in Y on SFO-LAX about two weeks ago and the GA came onboard to give us both new boarding passes for First.

We boarded as we were #'s 2 & 3 for 0 seats when they called for boarding.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:29 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Today ATL-IAH, 1 FC seat left empty. I know I saw 0 when I glanced at screen for seats available and people still on the upgrade list.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Policies like YBYL (or not) and FEBO (or not) seem like they should be simple and straightforward. No reason there should be such mystery and confusion among customers and employees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.