Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrading After Coach Purchase Not Working Correctly?

Old Jun 7, 17, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice platinum, Marriott gold

I fly for business and since I can't claim FC fares on my expense report I typically buy a coach fare, noting what the difference would be for a FC fare as shown on the bookings page, save the coach receipt for my expense report and then immediately use the "upgrade to first class" window in delta.com to upgrade on my own dime. The difference has always agreed with what showed on the booking page, until a couple of weeks ago. That time, I booked my coach fare, noting a difference of something like $300 to upgrade the entire itinerary. When I tried to upgrade after booking, it showed some crazy amount like $900 to upgrade. I finally just saved a copy of my coach ticket receipt from My Receipts, then just cancelled the coach ticket (well within the 24 hour time period) and then rebooked the correctly priced FC itinerary for the correct net fare increase of $300. This has happened the last two times I've tried to book this way. Has anyone else seen this, and if so does Delta know about it and plan to fix it? This has always worked very well and easily until a couple of weeks ago and now it's been a major fail the last two times I have booked including just today.
Thanks.
Old Jun 7, 17, 3:02 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Active existing discussion in this thread -- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ve-thread.html
Old Jun 7, 17, 3:04 pm

I think its working correctly, just not in the way people have been programmed to expect. With the new FCM program, at least in my limited sample size, there does not seem to be any connection between the price difference at booking and your "customized" offer. My most recent booking, if I booked F at booking, it would have been an extra $500+, but instantly after I booked, my FCM offer was $299. The goal is to upsell people that didn't buy F originally and extract more money from them, but if the second offer was always below the first, people would wise up and just wait for the FCM and DL would lose out on revenue. They need to strike a balance between the number of people originally booked in F and upsells, and to keep people booking F at booking, there needs to be a risk that the price might go up if you don't buy it now.
Old Jun 7, 17, 3:13 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
If you are trying to pay just the fare difference you should still be able to do so by calling.
Old Jun 7, 17, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice platinum, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
Active existing discussion in this thread -- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ve-thread.html
Not the same issue at all in this thread. Thanks though.
Old Jun 7, 17, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by C W View Post
If you are trying to pay just the fare difference you should still be able to do so by calling.
That may be true and yes that's what I am doing (and what I did all along), but the issue is that the online upgrade offer immediately after booking has always matched the fare difference shown on the booking page until a couple of weeks ago. Why would the fare difference show as $300 on the booking page, yet 5 minutes later after booking the coach fare the upgrade shows as $900 extra? Then after cancelling the coach booking, the original FC fare ($300 more than coach) is still available for booking as I just did and also did 2 weeks ago? The system is broken and needs to be fixed.
Old Jun 7, 17, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.6 MM; Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Gold
I've seen the same thing, and it is recent. The thread on the blackout seats/new ways to upgrade, etc. has many reporting the same thing...
Old Jun 7, 17, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The Situation View Post
I think its working correctly, just not in the way people have been programmed to expect. With the new FCM program, at least in my limited sample size, there does not seem to be any connection between the price difference at booking and your "customized" offer. My most recent booking, if I booked F at booking, it would have been an extra $500+, but instantly after I booked, my FCM offer was $299. The goal is to upsell people that didn't buy F originally and extract more money from them, but if the second offer was always below the first, people would wise up and just wait for the FCM and DL would lose out on revenue. They need to strike a balance between the number of people originally booked in F and upsells, and to keep people booking F at booking, there needs to be a risk that the price might go up if you don't buy it now.
When I booked previously (prior to 2 weeks ago), the booking page showed, for example, $500 for coach and next to it $800 for the same itinerary in first class. Previously, I would book the $500 coach fare and then when I selected the new booking in My Trips there would be a link that allowed me to immediately upgrade the trip for the same $300 difference that showed on the bookings page. The amount to upgrade immediately after booking was always EXACTLY the fare difference between first and coach, every time, because I always wrote it down before booking the coach fare. It was not a "customized" offer, but rather simply the difference between coach and first fares. The last two times I have booked, the offer to upgrade after booking was absurdly higher than the difference between coach and first class fares shown on the booking page. If Delta is intentionally doing this now, it's an epic fail because why would someone see a $300 difference between coach and FC when booking, then pay $900 to upgrade immediately after booking? That's no way to sell upgrades. I think the system is simply screwed up and needs to be fixed, back to the way it worked properly less than a month ago. Yes I can call to upgrade, but that's not the point. I can also buy a coach ticket, save the receipt, then cancel the ticket and go back and purchase the correctly up-priced first class fare. But I should not have to do that, and I didn't have to until a couple of weeks ago.
Old Jun 7, 17, 3:46 pm

Programs: HH Gold
I can't remember when I saw the change, but 1 day the offer on mine was $70 each way for SAT-SLC-SAT from C+. It has now been at $225.00 each way since then. So that would be $450 for the round trip, funnily if I were to just cancel and rebook it would be around $400 including the $200 change fee.
Old Jun 7, 17, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBJ2435 View Post
I've seen the same thing, and it is recent. The thread on the blackout seats/new ways to upgrade, etc. has many reporting the same thing...
Thanks. My thought was when Delta implemented the "new ways to upgrade" feature (apparently allowing upgrading of individual flights within an itinerary rather than just the entire itinerary), the online "upgrade after purchase" feature got hosed up somehow.

Calling to upgrade hasn't been a good option lately either. I tried that 2 bookings ago and the wait time was well over an hour.
Old Jun 7, 17, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jase0581 View Post
I can't remember when I saw the change, but 1 day the offer on mine was $70 each way for SAT-SLC-SAT from C+. It has now been at $225.00 each way since then. So that would be $450 for the round trip, funnily if I were to just cancel and rebook it would be around $400 including the $200 change fee.
Indeed. I've just cancelled immediately after booking and rebooked in FC, and since it's within 24 hours there's no fee at all.
Old Jun 7, 17, 3:56 pm
C W

Originally Posted by Kwaj boy View Post
That may be true and yes that's what I am doing (and what I did all along), but the issue is that the online upgrade offer immediately after booking has always matched the fare difference shown on the booking page until a couple of weeks ago. Why would the fare difference show as $300 on the booking page, yet 5 minutes later after booking the coach fare the upgrade shows as $900 extra? Then after cancelling the coach booking, the original FC fare ($300 more than coach) is still available for booking as I just did and also did 2 weeks ago? The system is broken and needs to be fixed.
This is what is discussed in the other thread. Your question is certainly legitimate though.

Short answer: Delta has separated the pricing of buy-up from the fare difference and the new buy-up pricing doesn't seem to have the kinks worked out yet.
Old Jun 7, 17, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

"Short answer: Delta has separated the pricing of buy-up from the fare difference and the new buy-up pricing doesn't seem to have the kinks worked out yet."

^^^ That's an understatement!
Old Jun 7, 17, 4:04 pm
C W

"Short answer: Delta has separated the pricing of buy-up from the fare difference and the new buy-up pricing doesn't seem to have the kinks worked out yet."

^^^ That's an understatement!
I believe that the intent is to charge something that is not the fare difference. They are also selling upgrade leg-by-leg now as well as bundled.

That said they really aren't going about it logically at the moment by many indications. Perhaps they're collecting data right now and will enhance it. For now though, I would guess with the new pricing fewer are doing FCM on many routes and we may have a short oasis of higher upgrade percentages.
Old Jun 7, 17, 4:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've seen anomalies in both directions when comparing the upgrade offers at checkout on delta.dumb to the price difference if you search for both coach and FC. Sometimes the price is what it "should" be, but often not. I've observed this ever since DL introduced the option to upgrade at the end of a ticket purchase. Most of the time it's the same G A P fare class, but I've seen a few cases of the fare classes being different, which I assume is due to fluctuating inventory levels in these buckets.

More recently, when I also compare the upgrade offers on the app, sometimes they're "correct" and other times not, with no consistent pattern to whether they're too expensive or too cheap.

BTW, I'm talking about the offers to upgrade the entire trip, not the new ones that can be taken for individual segments.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: