Wiki Posts
Search

time sensitive- baggage charge $150?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PL, Hilton Diamond, past AA Gold
time sensitive- baggage charge $150?

Thanks for any help as Im unclear on this and DL line is 50 min waitt-ime. Flying today and trying to move boxes ATL-LAX. Husband and I both get two bags free (Im silver and have DL Amex, hes gold-making platinum when we arrive at LAX). Thought wed each take 3 boxes in addition to carryons and just pay what I expected would be 35$ for each third box...(within size parameters etc) when checking in it indicated 2 bags free but wants to charge 150$ for third bag...Please tell me this is not correct.

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:47 am

This is correct. Your first 2 bag fees are waived. The 3rd bag fee ($150) is what applies. It applies to everyone who doesn't get the 3rd bag for free. You do get up to 70 lbs per box, though.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:51 am

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ip/excess.html

This page shows $150 for a 3rd bag per person. If your husband was already PM he'd get 3 free up to 70lbs.

You may ask at the airport about an exception if your husband will be a PM upon arrival.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
What's the surcharge per person to buy up to First for your flight? F cabin gets 3 bags free.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: DL, UA
Wrong info. I stand corrected!

Last edited by WidgetKid; Jun 6, 2017 at 11:38 am Reason: I was wrong.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
What's the surcharge per person to buy up to First for your flight? F cabin gets 3 bags free.
OP is flying ATL-LAX so probably well over $150
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by WidgetKid
Re-read your linked page. OP and companion, each holding status, would get 3 free if traveling in F. Non-status passengers traveling in F get 2.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by WidgetKid
The way I read it, SM elite flying first class get 3 free (way down at the bottom of the chart)
Attached Images
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
The way I read it, SM elite flying first class get 3 free (way down at the bottom of the chart)
Originally Posted by javabytes
Re-read your linked page. OP and companion, each holding status, would get 3 free if traveling in F. Non-status passengers traveling in F get 2.
Right you are! My mistake.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
So, the DL branded Amex only gets an extra free bag for FOs and non-status pax?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jrl767
OP is flying ATL-LAX so probably well over $150
One could think there's value some to the F seat on a flight of that distance, beyond just baggage allowance.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Correct. GM and above realize no incremental baggage benefits as a result of holding a DL Amex.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Not "extra free bag", but "First Bag Free" for DL Amex.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...p/checked.html

DELTA SKYMILES CREDIT CARD MEMBERS
If you have a SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express, you receive your First Bag Free on Delta flights booked with your SkyMiles Credit Card. The benefit extends to up to 8 travel companions, who must be listed on the Card Member’s reservation — for a total of 9 passengers. The first bag of each passenger on the reservation will have their fees waived at check-in. This benefit can only be used with bags that are not overweight or oversize under Delta’s applicable rules. Additional baggage fees will start at the 2nd checked bag fee listed in the Checked Baggage Allowance Each Way chart. Visit First Checked Bag Terms & Conditions for details.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kop84
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ip/excess.html

This page shows $150 for a 3rd bag per person. If your husband was already PM he'd get 3 free up to 70lbs.

You may ask at the airport about an exception if your husband will be a PM upon arrival.
On this because not worth a new post.

PM = 3 bags free

Wife on same reservation how many bags does she get? Believe she is treated as a "PM" for the flights with me on the new system?

And technically if we check stroller and 2 baby seats those don't 'count'? I think I read that correctly. Basically 2 baby seats, 1 stroller and 2 actual bags.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
On this because not worth a new post.

PM = 3 bags free

Wife on same reservation how many bags does she get? Believe she is treated as a "PM" for the flights with me on the new system?

And technically if we check stroller and 2 baby seats those don't 'count'? I think I read that correctly. Basically 2 baby seats, 1 stroller and 2 actual bags.
Correct.

...the benefit extends on the Medallion member’s reservation to a total of 8 travel companions.
And from the Special Items page:

Children’s strollers and seat restraints are not counted as part of the standard baggage and therefore can easily be checked for free. For your convenience these items may be checked at curbside, the ticket counter, or at the gate.
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ial-items.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.