Wiki Posts
Search

Ga won't allow buy up to j

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2017, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion
Ga won't allow buy up to j

I'm surprised by this. The ga first told me there was no space but after I showed him it was available he said buy up to first are not allowed on international flights. He said it's going to fly with the seat empty.

I'm a bit skeptical. Is this shenanigans or is this the actual rule? I'll check to see if there is in fact one seat open as I board...

thanks
z
Old Jun 4, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL, UA
What type of "buy up" are you talking about? A cheaper upgrade option or just paying the fare difference?
Old Jun 4, 2017, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Just paying the fare diff. No attempt to use miles or status or any upgrade instruments
Old Jun 4, 2017, 3:41 pm

the fare difference between an advance purchase coach and the walk-up J is probably 95% of the walk-up J price. at that point, just buy the walk-up J as a new ticket and forget about the 5% lost residual value of the economy ticket.

i suspect you really wanted to pay much less than the full walk-up J.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Good idea. Should have done that. Yeah I was hoping for an olci offer but didn't get it. Still wondering why they wouldn't let me pay. Maybe I phrased it wrong?
Old Jun 4, 2017, 3:47 pm

How did you book your ticket?
Old Jun 4, 2017, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Through the delta website. Dl ticket on dl metal
Old Jun 4, 2017, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Zorland
Through the delta website. Dl ticket on dl metal
It may have been possible to reprice without a phone call. Did the gate agent look busy? Repricing takes a couple minutes and I would be reluctant to as well if the customer weren't able and willing to pay the walk-up J0 fare.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 3:54 pm

gate agents aren't really up to speed on a complex ticketing issue, especially in non-hubs, like determining the purchased segment value, new ticket price, calculated differential, and taking payment for ticket reissue. at check-in / ticketing desk landside, no problemo.

i suspect the gate agent just thought you were like every other schemer she encounters daily, angling for a free or dirt cheap upgrade.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Okay. That makes sense. He definitely had a lot to do and we are gonna go out late which I know would be his biggest concern.

assuming he had more time, what should I have asked? Walk up j fare? I'm sure there will be a "next time" for me to ask this

thanks for all these quick responses!
Old Jun 4, 2017, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Zorland
Okay. That makes sense. He definitely had a lot to do and we are gonna go out late which I know would be his biggest concern.

assuming he had more time, what should I have asked? Walk up j fare? I'm sure there will be a "next time" for me to ask this

thanks for all these quick responses!
If it isn't past the check-in cut-off time, I would call an elite reservations phone number, or go to a Help center if the gate agent is busy. If the gate agent isn't busy, ask for a ticket reprice.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
When my wife flew SEA-LHR a few months ago there was an intermittent OLCI buy up offer for a good price but when we tried to buy it when it did show up, the web site would not process it. Had to call in to be able to purchase it and that took a supervisor. Since it appears to not be a standing offer open to all, it is reasonable that requests at the gate would not be honored except to purchase a full J fare which they would likely would have said should have been done at the Ticket Counter Pre-TSA.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

End of the story - flight goes out with two open j seats so clearly no shenanigans. Thanks for all the advice for next time. I appreciate all the knowledge you share.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Actually it turns out that was not the end of the story. About 30 minutes after pushback we returned to the gate to "get a redcoat to deal with a situation at the back of the plane" hope we don't all have to offload so they can reboard. From what I am hearing the person wanted to upgrade on board but it was too late
. Sounds exactly like my mistake. Except I didn't force the plane back to the gate.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA: 1K 1.5MM, DL: LTDM 3.5MM, JB: Mosaic4, LH: exSEN 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite, Hertz PresC
Delta, unlike AF and KL does not offer discounted buyUps during check in or at the gate on international flights. If you want to fly in J you need to get your ticket properly reprised.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.