Wiki Posts
Search

Ga won't allow buy up to j

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2017, 5:37 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by Zorland
Actually it turns out that was not the end of the story. About 30 minutes after pushback we returned to the gate to "get a redcoat to deal with a situation at the back of the plane" hope we don't all have to offload so they can reboard. From what I am hearing the person wanted to upgrade on board but it was too late
. Sounds exactly like my mistake. Except I didn't force the plane back to the gate.
Was the customer not offloaded? I can't quite believe a plane would return to the gate just for an upgrade request.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion
I feel like I have had those buy up offers at olci for international before but I could be misremembering.

pax did get offloaded. Pretty strange events overall. Hopefully we can get in the air soon.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I feel like I have had those buy up offers at olci for international before but I could be misremembering.

pax did get offloaded. Pretty strange events overall. Hopefully we can get in the air soon.
Please report back.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Christefan
Delta, unlike AF and KL does not offer discounted buyUps during check in or at the gate on international flights. If you want to fly in J you need to get your ticket properly reprised.
DL does offer them during OLCI. However they're random. No guarantee they'll be offered or at what price. In some cases it can be cheaper to just upgrade to a J ticket then pay what they want for an upgrade.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 12:16 am

Programs: UA: 1K 1.5MM, DL: LTDM 3.5MM, JB: Mosaic4, LH: exSEN 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite, Hertz PresC
Originally Posted by flyerCO
DL does offer them during OLCI. However they're random. No guarantee they'll be offered or at what price. In some cases it can be cheaper to just upgrade to a J ticket then pay what they want for an upgrade.
Thanks. I must not be flying them often enough since I have NEVER seen this offer during OLCI. Now I can hope again since I already used all of my global upgrades for the year.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Christefan
Thanks. I must not be flying them often enough since I have NEVER seen this offer during OLCI. Now I can hope again since I already used all of my global upgrades for the year.
Actually the less you fly the more likely it seems to get one. The whole give them a taste, and they'll never want to go back.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 5:34 am

I'm surprised by this. The ga first told me there was no space but after I showed him it was available he said buy up to first are not allowed on international flights. He said it's going to fly with the seat empty.

I'm a bit skeptical. Is this shenanigans or is this the actual rule? I'll check to see if there is in fact one seat open as I board...

thanks
z

I doubt you really wanted to "buy up" You don't quote the route, but here's the 'one way' fare ATL to LHR in business today $7,765. And that's what the GAs can charge if they do this.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Colin
gate agents aren't really up to speed on a complex ticketing issue, especially in non-hubs, like determining the purchased segment value, new ticket price, calculated differential, and taking payment for ticket reissue. at check-in / ticketing desk landside, no problemo.....
Gate agents don't normally process refare. Depending on routing, refaring an international ticket can take 10 minutes even for experienced agents. GA simply cannot process it and many of them are not even trained for ticketing. You are better off calling reservation.

Buy-up offers, if any, are different. Those are flat rate one-segment upgrades processed straight without refare.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
I doubt you really wanted to "buy up" You don't quote the route, but here's the 'one way' fare ATL to LHR in business today $7,765. And that's what the GAs can charge if they do this.
But they should be able to price it as a half round-trip, assuming the passenger is on a r/t coach fare. It'll cost substantially less than $7.8k, but probably still several thousand $s.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
But they should be able to price it as a half round-trip, assuming the passenger is on a r/t coach fare. It'll cost substantially less than $7.8k, but probably still several thousand $s.
Well I just priced a round trip leaving today and coming back next week. Prices were between $8.6K and $12.3 K

So your options are still in the $4-5 range, less your current ticket but... it's not going to be cheap.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 2:21 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Maybe I'm underestimating the roles and responsibilities of the various types of employees, but if I was in a similar situation I would think the most efficient way to handle it would be to call 800-325-1551, gate agents aren't really the right people to be 'buying' tickets from, especially when they are in the process of getting a flight out.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles
Maybe I'm underestimating the roles and responsibilities of the various types of employees, but if I was in a similar situation I would think the most efficient way to handle it would be to call 800-325-1551, gate agents aren't really the right people to be 'buying' tickets from, especially when they are in the process of getting a flight out.
Wouldn't the ticket be under gate control at that point?
Old Jun 8, 2017, 2:37 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by motytrah
Wouldn't the ticket be under gate control at that point?
If you've waited that long, it seems like you've waited too long
Old Jun 8, 2017, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Beckles
If you've waited that long, it seems like you've waited too long
If you are at a hub airport and have enough time, you may be able to go to the Customer Service counter (if there is one nearby). If I were DL and someone wanted to pay me $4K, I would try my best to "accept" it. Perhaps an agent that they could have standing by (major hubs only) to quickly come to a gate for this purpose?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.