Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Need help with issues faced after flight cancelled due to Mechanical issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help with issues faced after flight cancelled due to Mechanical issues

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2017, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Been 3 days now without a pushchair and its currently showing as "Bag in Baggage Service Office @ ATL" What does this mean? If they have it then why not send it to me?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Been 3 days now without a pushchair and its currently showing as "Bag in Baggage Service Office @ ATL" What does this mean? If they have it then why not send it to me?
Did you file a delayed baggage claim for the item and request delivery somewhere?

If yes, call Delta at 800-325-8224 or tweet Delta your file reference number requesting it be delivered.

If no, you should file the claim by calling Delta at 800-325-8224 or going to your closest airport's baggage service office. You have 24 hours after your arrival and/or cancellation to file a delayed baggage claim for delivery purposes.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Read my post above. OP apparently had a separate ticket originating at MCO.
Delta is at least on the hook for reasonable out-of-pocket expenses resulting specifically from the mishandled baggage even if it's the origin. I haven't heard of this "no hotels if you're originating" before. Is that normal everywhere? Because what if you don't live at the ticket's origin?

Edit: also, the COC's section on hotel accoms doesn't say anything about an exclusion for hotels at a ticket's origin. I wonder if that excuse has been used to deny passengers with a hotel room or $100 voucher when they have a right to it...

(a) Hotels

If overnight accommodations are available at Delta contracted facilities, Delta will provide the passenger with a voucher for one night‘s lodging when the delay is during the period of 10:00 pm to 6:00 am. Delta will provide free public ground transportation to the hotel if the hotel does not offer such service. If accommodations are not available, Delta will provide the passenger with a voucher that may be applied to future travel on Delta equal in value to the contracted hotel rate, up to $100 USD.

Last edited by Widgets; Jun 2, 2017 at 8:43 am
Old Jun 2, 2017, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Widgets
Did you file a delayed baggage claim for the item and request delivery somewhere?

If yes, call Delta at 800-325-8224 or tweet Delta your file reference number requesting it be delivered.

If no, you should file the claim by calling Delta at 800-325-8224 or going to your closest airport's baggage service office. You have 24 hours after your arrival and/or cancellation to file a delayed baggage claim for delivery purposes.
Online it says claim filed and I requested it to be sent to my hotel which I was assured yesterday. So now what should I do as I fly back tomorrow and am in NYC for a few days for which I need the pushchair. Thinking to just buy a $200 one as am sick of waiting.

Because what if you don't live at the ticket's origin?
Which I don't. The taxi alone to the hotel was $70. I can't recall off hand but my days expenses including buying a change of clothes and essentials were around $500 for the four of us.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Online it says claim filed and I requested it to be sent to my hotel which I was assured yesterday. So now what should I do as I fly back tomorrow and am in NYC for a few days for which I need the pushchair. Thinking to just buy a $200 one as am sick of waiting.

Which I don't. The taxi alone to the hotel was $70. I can't recall off hand but my days expenses including buying a change of clothes and essentials were around $500 for the four of us.
You're legally entitled at least to a $100 voucher for each hotel room purchased during the overnight delay caused by the mechanical cancellation. However, submitting receipts to Delta has resulted in a cash reimbursement before.
[Edit: cash reimbursement for $70 ground transport is a gray area.]

Delta's required to reimburse you for reasonable OPE that directly resulted from your delayed baggage. Submit receipts for everything and see what happens. Purchase an inexpensive stroller if you can. I recommend calling the baggage service center and ask what's reasonable. They'll remark your file saying what was discussed, which is good for when you submit receipts.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

You're legally entitled at least to a $100 voucher for each hotel room purchased during the overnight delay caused by the mechanical cancellation. However, submitting receipts to Delta has resulted in a cash reimbursement before.
[Edit: cash reimbursement for $70 ground transport is a gray area.]

Delta's required to reimburse you for reasonable OPE that directly resulted from your delayed baggage. Submit receipts for everything and see what happens. Purchase an inexpensive stroller if you can. I recommend calling the baggage service center and ask what's reasonable. They'll remark your file saying what was discussed, which is good for when you submit receipts.
Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.