Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SU fare class?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by pssinatl
I see a more likely motive. Currently, DM and PM get at-booking "upgrade" to c+ if at least 1 W seat is available. By putting the upgrade seats in a separate bucket, they can limit the number of upgrade seats available by zeroing out the S inventory and retain seats to sell us from the W bucket. Monetize, monetize, monetize!
But Delta could already do that with the current scheme. WU and W have separate inventories (although I've yet to see a flight where WU inventory was less than W).
Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:23 am

Programs: DL: DM, 3MM; UA:1K
w, wu and su

Fair point -- although that W and WU were practically always the same. Will be interesting to see if S and W diverge going forward.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Widgets
But Delta could already do that with the current scheme. WU and W have separate inventories (although I've yet to see a flight where WU inventory was less than W).
Really? I've definitely booked flights where there are a few available C+ seats (and also C+ available for sale), but as a PM there was not an UG available at booking. Granted, I only have the DL.com tools to indicate this to me, but it has always seemed like WU < W on my bookings.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gooselee
Really? I've definitely booked flights where there are a few available C+ seats (and also C+ available for sale), but as a PM there was not an UG available at booking. Granted, I only have the DL.com tools to indicate this to me, but it has always seemed like WU < W on my bookings.
As long as booked more then two weeks out I've never seen the system not upgrade of requested. Only when booking close on did it seem they held back. Even then it was more likely to go through if even one seat was available.
​​​​
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
So has anyone here had RUC experience after this latest update of WU>SU and the hidden seat maps and everything? Looking for folks who have had experience on flights actually flown - being waitlisted and (hopefully) clearing at some point.

I called DL and they claim that my RUCs are still properly applied, but then the agent offered to "update" them and I said no and hung up - I have no idea what "updating" the RUC entails and didn't want the agent to touch the PNR.

Of course...I still have my doubts. As it did last week, my PNR on DL.com still shows double seat maps, but I no longer have the "Upgrade Status: Waitlisted" notation on the flights in question.

Worst case, I guess I'll see where I end up on the list at check-in. <insert standard rant about why RUCs are so opaque in application>
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by pssinatl
I see a more likely motive. Currently, DM and PM get at-booking "upgrade" to c+ if at least 1 W seat is available. By putting the upgrade seats in a separate bucket, they can limit the number of upgrade seats available by zeroing out the S inventory and retain seats to sell us from the W bucket. Monetize, monetize, monetize!
this
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by blue2002
this
"this" was already the case. Why they had WU.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:08 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
My trip just recoded from "W" to "S", actually says "Business S". It is all domestic segments with a First cabin...
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
"this" was already the case. Why they had WU.
OK, perhaps "this" was indeed in response to an overly general idea... My take (and bear with me, I am not a long-term DL flyer and hence not yet a DL fare expert): By differentiating the free medallion upgrades and the upgrade cert vouchers, DL will indeed be able to better control the two inventories. For example, they may constrain the free medallion upgrade inventory in the hope of having people burn their certs.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:37 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
OK, perhaps "this" was indeed in response to an overly general idea... My take (and bear with me, I am not a long-term DL flyer and hence not yet a DL fare expert): By differentiating the free medallion upgrades and the upgrade cert vouchers, DL will indeed be able to better control the two inventories. For example, they may constrain the free medallion upgrade inventory in the hope of having people burn their certs.
The free Medallion upgrade inventory and upgrade certificate inventory was already in separate buckets. Occasionally this results in very odd things like Medallion upgrades clearing before RUC/GUC upgrades.

Welcome to the crazy world of Delta IT
Old Jun 14, 2017, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by C W
The free Medallion upgrade inventory and upgrade certificate inventory was already in separate buckets. Occasionally this results in very odd things like Medallion upgrades clearing before RUC/GUC upgrades.

Welcome to the crazy world of Delta IT
Ha! Thanks for the Welcome... but you just ruined my conspiracy theory. Now I must come up with a new one.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 11:42 am
C W

Ha! Thanks for the Welcome... but you just ruined my conspiracy theory. Now I must come up with a new one.
Not to worry, you will find many tinfoil hat wearing Delta compatriots here
Old Jun 14, 2017, 11:45 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Possible reason they did this: I'm not sure how Delta's multi-letter fare codes "read" to partner airlines, but possibly WU was earning bonus miles/MQMs in some partner FFPs?

I recently noticed that for example Virgin Australia's Velocity program gives more miles for Delta bookings in W than in other coach fare classes, so possibly something was getting messed up there? Though I suppose if someone was getting a free or certificate upgrade to C+, it would be unlikely they'd at the same time be crediting miles to Velocity.

Or perhaps award bookings into C+ were accidentally reading as mileage-earning-eligible to some partner FFPs? (If that was the case I'm ashamed all of us here on FT weren't talking about and exploiting it!)

Other possible reason: Perhaps they are planning to separate out Premium Select from Comfort+, though if that was the plan I don't know why they didn't fully move C+ to S/SU rather than keeping W active for now. Presumably at some point they will need a cleaner way to distinguish PS from C+.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:19 pm
C W

Originally Posted by bgriff
Possible reason they did this: I'm not sure how Delta's multi-letter fare codes "read" to partner airlines, but possibly WU was earning bonus miles/MQMs in some partner FFPs?

I recently noticed that for example Virgin Australia's Velocity program gives more miles for Delta bookings in W than in other coach fare classes, so possibly something was getting messed up there? Though I suppose if someone was getting a free or certificate upgrade to C+, it would be unlikely they'd at the same time be crediting miles to Velocity.

Or perhaps award bookings into C+ were accidentally reading as mileage-earning-eligible to some partner FFPs? (If that was the case I'm ashamed all of us here on FT weren't talking about and exploiting it!)

Other possible reason: Perhaps they are planning to separate out Premium Select from Comfort+, though if that was the plan I don't know why they didn't fully move C+ to S/SU rather than keeping W active for now. Presumably at some point they will need a cleaner way to distinguish PS from C+.
Except W and WU were already different things and partner systems can see the underlying fare basis.

PS will use P, A, and G fare classes, essentially aligining with domestic first. Therefore no need to free up W there.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:21 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by C W
Except W and WU were already different things and partner systems can see the underlying fare basis.

PS will use P, A, and G fare classes, essentially aligining with domestic first. Therefore no need to free up W there.
Were C+ awards booked into W or WU? (Though even if the third paragraph of my previous post has any validity, I suppose in theory Delta could have booked C+ awards into WA or whatever other designation to keep them separate from W without needing S.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.