Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How will banning laptops/tablets affect IFE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2017, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM

With all the recent discussions of possibly banning laptops/tablets/computers in the cabin of flights - and the recent fire on the Jet Blue Flight - how will this affect IFE?

I suppose this can go any airline forum, but I know many Delta planes do not have seat back screens and just allow passengers to use their own devices and the gogo Delta studio to watch IFE.

I believe I read that American Airlines was no longer ordering planes with in seat video screens - as most people have their own personal devices.

So how will the airlines adapt in light of what appears to be a probable ban on personal computers - at least to and from certain destinations - install more in-seat screens or - GASP - back to the old overhead monitors in the aisles.
Old May 31, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, GOES
AT&T says that your ILE (In Life Entertainment) is your mobile device. Problem solved.

Oh, wait.... they catch on fire, too.

Time to buy stock in airside bookstores?
Old May 31, 2017, 12:38 pm

I thought all of Delta's widebody international fleet had IFE. If the ban applies only to international flights, then everyone will still have access to some movies.
Old May 31, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Widgets
I thought all of Delta's widebody international fleet had IFE. If the ban applies only to international flights, then everyone will still have access to some movies.
According to a credible-I-think poster in the thread in the transportation safety thread, the current best guess is that the restrictions will allow one phone and one other electronic device but will apply to all flights to or from the US, including domestic flights.

But DL won't be hit nearly as badly as this, based on current fleet planning, as AA and AS, both of which have gone much more all-in with streaming IFE to personal devices than DL. AS has never had screens (though they do provide tablets, which I imagine will continue to be available), and AA has stopped ordering planes with screens and is, I believe, actually planning to remove screens from at least some narrow bodies that have them now. (I hope those plans are on hold at least until they have an idea what the outcome of this mess will be!) And AA also cannot install personal screens on their 763s, which primarily serve intercontinental routes.

Last edited by ashill; May 31, 2017 at 12:53 pm
Old May 31, 2017, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
Yes, however - what about other airlines, like AA that I believe stated they were no longer installing/ordering in seat screens???

And, in light of the fire on Jet Blue this could easily impact domestic flights in the future- pure speculation on my part.
Old May 31, 2017, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Any change to IFE takes many years. So I wouldn't expect a knee-jerk reaction. I suspect:
1) they will just wait out this nonsense, and/or
2) they will provide tablets in premium cabins, as some Middle Eastern airlines have already started to do.

If this becomes the long-term reality, which I very much doubt, then over time you will see IFE equipment decisions made accordingly.
Old May 31, 2017, 12:59 pm

Is this related to President Trump's controversial revelation to Russia that ISIS is capable of inconspicuous laptop bombs on commercial flights?
Old May 31, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Is this related to President Trump's controversial revelation to Russia that ISIS is capable of inconspicuous laptop bombs on commercial flights?
Yes. The intelligence he shared was the intelligence that led the US to consider this ban. (Insert "alleged" and "according to reporting based on leaks" and other disclaimers as you see fit.) See this monster thread.
Old May 31, 2017, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IFE will be replaced with coloring books.
Old May 31, 2017, 5:31 pm

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by TomMM
I want at least 64 colors for flights over 3 hours.
Attached Images  
Old May 31, 2017, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I wouldn't spend too much time dwelling on it. Reaction to it has been poor and it seems it is dying but the DHS/Etc keep claiming it is not.
Old May 31, 2017, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hnewman
I want at least 64 colors for flights over 3 hours.
I am sorry but I believe that comes with a sharpener in the back of the box. Can't have anything like that on a flight
Old May 31, 2017, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by QDDawg
Yes, however - what about other airlines, like AA that I believe stated they were no longer installing/ordering in seat screens???

And, in light of the fire on Jet Blue this could easily impact domestic flights in the future- pure speculation on my part.
This is the DL forum. Not sure what this question really has to do with DL. However AA or OAL policies surely have nothing to do.
Old May 31, 2017, 8:01 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TomMM
Am i the only one who would be stupidly excited to get an adult coloring book in business class?
Old May 31, 2017, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by BenA
Am i the only one who would be stupidly excited to get an adult coloring book in business class?
Not sure. But I'd be positively psyched to get that 64-color crayon set!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.