Community
Wiki Posts
Search

dl 24 hour refund policy

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
I disagree that it's to the midnight. It's sometimes more than 24 hrs but it doesn't always end at the midnight of the following day (or midnight Eastern where Delta is based out of) but you will definitely get your full 24 hrs to cancel. I travel heavily and book a lot and also cancel my share of reservations due to constantly changes with my biz trip logistics.

One of THE BIGGEST ISSUE is that Delta cancellation screen indicate they will email you on the cancellation confirm BUT THEY NEVER DO... There is system bug but Delta cleverly does not want to fix this, because it would then leave a paper trail of the cancellation.

You NEED TO print or PDF print the cancellation screen for your record. Because the cancellation confirmation number is just the ticket number, there is no way to prove if a system glitch cause Delta to think you didn't cancel. I have had 2 instances that I cancelled but Delta claim I didn't and I had to use the screen capture to prove it because they never emailed the cancellation confirmation.
Old May 30, 2017, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wlau
I disagree that it's to the midnight. It's sometimes more than 24 hrs but it doesn't always end at the midnight of the following day (or midnight Eastern where Delta is based out of) but you will definitely get your full 24 hrs to cancel. I travel heavily and book a lot and also cancel my share of reservations due to constantly changes with my biz trip logistics.

One of THE BIGGEST ISSUE is that Delta cancellation screen indicate they will email you on the cancellation confirm BUT THEY NEVER DO... There is system bug but Delta cleverly does not want to fix this, because it would then leave a paper trail of the cancellation.

You NEED TO print or PDF print the cancellation screen for your record. Because the cancellation confirmation number is just the ticket number, there is no way to prove if a system glitch cause Delta to think you didn't cancel. I have had 2 instances that I cancelled but Delta claim I didn't and I had to use the screen capture to prove it because they never emailed the cancellation confirmation.
killer tip! thanks!!
Old May 30, 2017, 4:28 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by wlau

I always receive email confirmations within seconds.
Old May 30, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by CJKatl
When it gets to be later in the day - not sure of specific time - the cancelation period actually jumps to midnight the day after next. In other words, if you purchase your ticket at 11:00 pm on the 1st, you may actually have until midnight the 3rd to cancel. I've used this to my advantage several times.
It is always midnight on the following day, regardless of when you purchase your ticket. So, if you buy a ticket at 12:01 AM, you would have almost 48 hours to cancel it. I have never heard of it jumping to the following day unless it is after midnight ATL time. I know you said that's not the case, but this is the first I've ever heard of that.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 2:21 pm

DL policy used to apply only to US originating tickets.
I no longer see this restriction at Delta.com.
Assume this policy now applies globally?
Old Jan 6, 2018, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Colin
DL policy used to apply only to US originating tickets.
I no longer see this restriction at Delta.com.
Assume this policy now applies globally?
Yes, they can changed it to apply globally a couple years ago.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 4:16 pm
21A

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
It is always midnight on the following day, regardless of when you purchase your ticket. So, if you buy a ticket at 12:01 AM, you would have almost 48 hours to cancel it. I have never heard of it jumping to the following day unless it is after midnight ATL time. I know you said that's not the case, but this is the first I've ever heard of that.
Not sure if the booking channel matters, but it’s been mentioned in other threads that the date is based on pacific time for delta.com bookings (once shown as LAXWEB). If you look at the date of issue on the email receipt it should confirm this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Nevermind
Old Jan 6, 2018, 8:02 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 21A
Not sure if the booking channel matters, but it’s been mentioned in other threads that the date is based on pacific time for delta.com bookings (once shown as LAXWEB). If you look at the date of issue on the email receipt it should confirm this.
Even so, you might get lucky. I bought a ticket originating in SEA (from SEA, and both my SM account and credit card have my WA address) at 2144 PST on Thursday. The issue date in the email is 04JAN18, probably reflecting a LAXWEB point of issue. Despite all that, I was able to refund it earlier today (~1600) under the Risk-Free Guarantee, presumably because 2144PST 04JAN is 0044 EST 05JAN and some part of the system counted days from Atlanta time instead of LA/Seattle time. I'm not complaining!

(One fare segment went from U down to V saving me about $60, so I bought new tickets before trying to cancel the old ones. If they'd fallen afoul of the RFC deadline, I would have just said "oh well" and RFC-cancelled the new ones so it really was Risk-Free.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.