Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade order

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Skymiles DM, Hertz President Circle, Enterprise Platinum, IHG, BW Diamond Select, AA EXP
Upgrade order

I could not find the answer to this easily. If I want to upgrade a domestic flight to FC using miles (I am booked in K) as a GM...where in the pecking order does that happen? Does it come before all
comp upgrades or do upgrades using instruments come before medallion upgrades?
Old May 28, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I don't think you can get on the UG list using miles. I think that's either a yay or nay at time of request but I could be wrong.
Old May 28, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
You can waitlist a mileage upgrade up to 24 hours before the flight, but if it doesn't clear by then, you are SOL
Old May 28, 2017, 3:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some GAs are willing to process mileage upgrades at the gate, but it's not a published benefit beyond T-24.

Before the gate, instrument supported upgrades require RP/OP inventory while free elite upgrades use RU/OU, so the priority really can't be compared.
Old May 28, 2017, 5:50 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Re: the priority question, I'm not sure anyone has ever claimed authoritative knowledge, but there are at least a few reports of people being told by multiple DM line agents that certs trump mileage upgrades. So a GM using miles, it seems likely, would be behind anyone using certs, and behind DM/PM using miles, assuming that those things still go in Medallion order.

I would also guess that usually RP >= RU but who knows. And once inside T-24 all bets are off as indicated above. You might find a GA willing to process a mileage upgrade but you might not.
Old May 28, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Do not know if this is still true, but a few years ago it was the case that wait-listed mile/cert upgrades well in advance would only sweep periodically. This meant that one could call in when inventory opened and jump the wait-list line.
Old May 28, 2017, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Skymiles DM, Hertz President Circle, Enterprise Platinum, IHG, BW Diamond Select, AA EXP
Thanks for the feedback...I called DL to use miles to upgrade and was quoted 60,000 miles to upgrade a $376 one-way fare. That is a joke as the same ticket is 55,000 miles to book in F. It is a HUCA situation...but it took almost an hour to get a call back in the first place...lol.
Old May 28, 2017, 10:19 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hotshot265
Thanks for the feedback...I called DL to use miles to upgrade and was quoted 60,000 miles to upgrade a $376 one-way fare. That is a joke as the same ticket is 55,000 miles to book in F. It is a HUCA situation...but it took almost an hour to get a call back in the first place...lol.
Depending on the routes and fare class, this might be right. It can easily cost about the same number of miles to upgrade a ticket as to obtain a premium cabin award ticket. For some elites, the big difference is that the paid ticket plus upgrade with miles earns MQMs while the award ticket does not.
Old May 28, 2017, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

The route is SRQ to SEA. The published A fare on the same route is 607...so the difference is $230. 60,000 miles for that difference is not a good redemption rate. However just as a side note the "upgrade offer" in my booking was $299 to buy up to first. I went back and did a dummy booking and the fares are the same 376/607. So I just cancelled my original booking are re-booked the A fare. I was till in the 24hr cancel window.
Old May 29, 2017, 12:37 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
The route is SRQ to SEA. The published A fare on the same route is 607...so the difference is $230. 60,000 miles for that difference is not a good redemption rate. However just as a side note the "upgrade offer" in my booking was $299 to buy up to first. I went back and did a dummy booking and the fares are the same 376/607. So I just cancelled my original booking are re-booked the A fare. I was till in the 24hr cancel window.
Sounds like you got a good resolution.

For future reference, phone agents will upgrade you for the fare difference without change fees regardless of what the online offer is. This does not have to be within the 24 hour window.
Old May 29, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: DL DM
From a K fare? Sounds like something's wrong. I've done mileage-based upgrades from K fares on transcons for 35k miles.
Old May 29, 2017, 9:28 am

thanks i like it ♥
Old May 29, 2017, 12:55 pm

At least if you have a DL AmEx card, you can do pay with miles for the upgrade at the time of purchase. If the fare difference was $230, that should cost 23,000 RDMs. DL then treats it as a G A P ticket in FC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.