Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Do upsells to First earn additional MQM's and MQD's ?

Old May 28, 17, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM/Amex Reserve 2 Million Miler

The Delta News Hub release of 5/23 implies yes but the Delta Diamond line and Skymiles service center multiple agents say no.
http://news.delta.com/customers-now-...anage-upgrades

I did an upsell on 1 of my future tickets via delta.com and it did rebook me in G class which is supposed to get 50% extra MQM's...the medallion line said NO and I requested a refund and they said that will go through passenger refunds and take 7-10 days..what a mess.

My upsell was $320 for 4 legs and was almost 100 less than the P fare on that route...and a G fare isn't even offered on that route but the upsell put me in a G class

BTW once i did the upsell and the authorization went through on AMEX and I went to select the seats Delta.com wanted me to purchase the upsell again in other words I got a 2nd message to upgrade to first even though I had done it once already..what a mess...

We need some real clarification on this....
Old May 28, 17, 7:29 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by robnsfla View Post
The Delta News Hub release of 5/23 implies yes but the Delta Diamond line and Skymiles service center multiple agents say no.
http://news.delta.com/customers-now-...anage-upgrades

I did an upsell on 1 of my future tickets via delta.com and it did rebook me in G class which is supposed to get 50% extra MQM's...the medallion line said NO and I requested a refund and they said that will go through passenger refunds and take 7-10 days..what a mess.

My upsell was $320 for 4 legs and was almost 100 less than the P fare on that route...and a G fare isn't even offered on that route but the upsell put me in a G class

BTW once i did the upsell and the authorization went through on AMEX and I went to select the seats Delta.com wanted me to purchase the upsell again in other words I got a 2nd message to upgrade to first even though I had done it once already..what a mess...

We need some real clarification on this....

if it's in J,C,D,I,Z,F,P,A or G it WILL earn the bonus. These are first class fares. OP or RP will not. That's all there is to it. Many of the agents are confused since day of upgrades usually end up in the latter buckets but earlier FCM offers end up in the former.
Old May 28, 17, 8:15 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
I think if it rebooks you in G you should get the extra MQMs. The only way for us to know for sure is for a FlyerTalker to buy an offer, fly it, and report back. Any takers?
Old May 28, 17, 8:40 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
DL has already clarified it and we already have numerous examples here of people getting class of service bonus. The agents, as usual, are wrong.
Old May 28, 17, 8:50 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
DL has already clarified it and we already have numerous examples here of people getting class of service bonus. The agents, as usual, are wrong.
We already have numerous examples of paid and flown segments for the new FCM? As opposed to the longstanding system?
Old May 28, 17, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Given all the changes that DL has made recently, I think it's a reasonable question. I would not assume anything at this point.
Old May 28, 17, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
The fine print during the FCM checkout used to be pretty explicit that you would earn extra MQMs

I was about to ask, hasn't anyone taking an FCM offer recently thought to cut and paste the T&C, but then I remembered I have a couple upcoming itineraries where I've been getting them. None are worth accepting IMO but at least here are the terms:
​​​​​
GENERAL CONDITIONS OF PURCHASE

This product is nonrefundable and nonchangeable. If a customer voluntarily changes his/her flight or seat selection once purchased, no refund for the original purchase will be provided and no MQDs will be awarded. We reserve the right to assign or reassign your upgraded seat at any time, even after boarding of the aircraft, for operational, safety or security reasons. The final decision resides with the ground staff and the operating crew on the day of the flight. Refunds will be issued to any reassigned customer if the customer is not moved to a comparable or better seat.

The advertised price is not an offer and is subject to change. No contract exists until you receive confirmation that payment was received and processed. Upgrades may only be purchased for Delta- or Delta Connection- operated flights and are not available for Award Tickets and certain discounted and exception fares. Additional eligibility restrictions may apply at Delta's sole discretion. All passengers within the confirmation number must be upgraded to Main Cabin, Delta Comfort+ TM, or First/Delta One fare classes. Fare rules of your initial reservation will apply regardless of whether rules that would otherwise apply to the fare class of your upgraded ticket are less restrictive. Upgraded tickets are eligible for additional mileage, MQM, and MQD accruals due to the selection of Delta Comfort+ TM or First/Delta One and associated fare classes, and the increase in base fare or carrier imposed surcharges paid in connection with your upgrade. All SkyMiles program rules apply to SkyMiles program membership, miles, offers, mile accrual, mile redemption and travel benefits, respectively. To review the rules, please visit Membership Guide & Program Rules. If you purchased trip insurance when purchasing your original ticket, your benefits under the trip insurance policy are limited to those applicable under your original ticket. Prices, offers, rules, and benefits are subject to change.
bolding added.

​​​​​The first bolded part presumably covers them if you voluntarily self-downgrade.

The second bolded part is the same or similar as before. So should still get the 50% bonus.

In case it matters this booking was made before the new changes were announced. It's possible T&C for new bookings are different.
Old May 28, 17, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM/Amex Reserve 2 Million Miler
I think the confusion with the agents is that day of travel upsells as was mentioned in post #2 in this thread are in fact upgrades...like a gate upgrade that anyone can buy...whereas the offers further ahead of time where the ticket is reissued in a higher class of service are in fact a valid first tickets discounted albeit or an up fare but still a valid G class ticket which have the benefits attached to it.SDC MQM's MQD's
Old May 28, 17, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
If you do upsell before OLCI. Yes.
If you do it at OLCI. No.

It's that simple. I've never not been put in G/A if I did an FCM before OLCI. Thus it nets 50% MQM bonus.
Old Jul 30, 17, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I recently took advantage of a paid upgrade offer on an ABQ-ATL flight. I bought the upgrade about a week before the flight and my fare class changed to A. However, I did not get any bonus MQMs and when I called and asked, the representative contacted the SkyMiles desk which said that because it was an FCM offer on the website, I wouldn't get any bonus MQMs. Is that accurate or are we supposed to be getting the bonus MQMs for those upgrades?
Old Jul 30, 17, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer View Post
I recently took advantage of a paid upgrade offer on an ABQ-ATL flight. I bought the upgrade about a week before the flight and my fare class changed to A. However, I did not get any bonus MQMs and when I called and asked, the representative contacted the SkyMiles desk which said that because it was an FCM offer on the website, I wouldn't get any bonus MQMs. Is that accurate or are we supposed to be getting the bonus MQMs for those upgrades?
nonsense
since the ticket was reissued in "A" you should get the bonus MQMs
Old Jul 30, 17, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum UA-Silver
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer View Post
That makes no sense , I would ask for a supervisor, you should earn based on your A fare. Otherwise it would seem like a disincentive, why woulndt they give advanced FCM fares the MQM Bonus

I have a BWI-MSP-BWI trip coming up that started as X/U fares, I took the FCM offer and now I have a G fare, I would be shocked if I don't get the 50% MQM bonus as i always do when i upgrade before check in but I will report back
Old Jul 30, 17, 6:09 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
HUCA, "A" class gets the 50% bonus regardless of how you ended up there.
Old Jul 30, 17, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
HUCA, "A" class gets the 50% bonus regardless of how you ended up there.
These DL agents are getting ridiculous. I have had so many bad agents on the phone recently. Had to cancel a flight within the free cancellation period a few months ago. Agent said that It's only the first 24 hours which is wrong as it's until midnight the next day. I started to have a mini panic attack as this agent was useless and had to HUCA and it was 11:30pm and the wait was 20 min. (I couldn't cancel online because the website was trying to charge me even though I purchased the ticket at 5pm the day before and I have until midnight the next day.) I had another agent tell me I was lying to her when I told her I never got my VDB voucher by a red coat in LAX who told me to call to get it as "she didn't have time to do it". Ended up forgetting HUCA and immediately called coustomer care where a awesome agent gave me a $800 voucher and a "choice package" where I could choose a gift (mostly various $100 gift cards) and apologized for my experience with the other two reps.
Old Jul 31, 17, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Fyi I just recently flew on a ticket upgraded with the buy-up offer online. The FCM buyup was purchased a few days after the initial ticket. The additional MQDs posted as a separate line of activity for each buy-up segment. MQM bonus posted as 'Seat Upgrade: 50% MQM Bonus' in the normal ticket activity.

Odd thing was one segment posted with the 50% bonus and the other didn't. Sent a tweet and it was resolved quickly and the bonus posted.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: