Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Do upsells to First earn additional MQM's and MQD's ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do upsells to First earn additional MQM's and MQD's ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
I recently took advantage of a paid upgrade offer on an ABQ-ATL flight. I bought the upgrade about a week before the flight and my fare class changed to A. However, I did not get any bonus MQMs and when I called and asked, the representative contacted the SkyMiles desk which said that because it was an FCM offer on the website, I wouldn't get any bonus MQMs. Is that accurate or are we supposed to be getting the bonus MQMs for those upgrades?
Just to wrap this up, I contacted DL by Twitter. This was their first response:

Originally Posted by Clueless Twitter Rep
The ABQ to ATL was in U class and then you were complimentary upgraded based on your status. The class of service "A" was added due to no complimentary upgrade classes of service being available at the time.
?!?!

I wrote back and said, no I paid for the upgrade on that leg of the flight. So they took a second look and they posted the bonus MQMs. Phew.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 5:56 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Car Executive
Here is another data point on a purchased FCM up-sell not earning 50% bonus MQMs:

Purchased BOS-JFK-LAX-BOS thru company travel website on 11-15-17 for travel 12-5 and 12-8
Purchased upgrade on 11-15-17 for LAX-BOS for return on 12-8 for additional $268 out of my own pocket as company will not pay for F. (Side Note: received complimentary upgrade for BOS-JFK and used RUC and received gate upgrade for JFK-LAX. So great results per my plan.)
I don't remember how I purchased the upgrade as I have done it by phone, Delta.com and iphone app on various tickets when I want to purchase an FCM upgrade.
Delta.com showed the LAX-BOS segment as booked in "P". My printed boarding pass shows "P".

Delta.com Skymiles activity now shows two entries for the trip: (1) normal earnings for the round trip with the LAX-BOS coded as "V" and dated the outbound date and (2) seat upgrade earnings for LAX-BOS dated the return date but earnings only for "MQD" and "RDMs". Entry 1 has 100% MQMs and Entry 2 has 0 MQM. So right now I have earned 100% MQMs for a trip when I purchased the upgrade well in advance.

Looking at my receipts I see a Seat Upgrade receipt with a different 006 ticket number than the receipt for the original purchase.

I plan on asking for the 50% bonus MQMs as I have always received them in the past. I sure hope that this has not changed as I do see the bonus MQMs as part of the value proposition when I buy an FCM upgrade.

Any one else run into this lately?

Last edited by mfFrom35K; Dec 10, 2017 at 5:57 am Reason: fixed typo
Old Dec 10, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton
I upgraded the two long segments of a round trip in late October. Upgrade was purchased around 30 days out on Delta.com. I had two entries for each direction. The regular trip entry gave the 50% bonus MQM for the first class segment. The other entry was "Seat Upgrade: Mileage and MQD Accrual" and it gave the MQD and SM based on the FCM purchase price.

Last edited by Grogs; Dec 10, 2017 at 7:59 am
Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: DL Diamond, 2 MM
I was curious about this since I used an up sell to upgrade to F using a G fare MKE-SEA. I just got off the phone with DL and the agent assured me that I would get the 150% MQMs.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:20 am
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
Originally Posted by mfFrom35K
I plan on asking for the 50% bonus MQMs as I have always received them in the past. I sure hope that this has not changed as I do see the bonus MQMs as part of the value proposition when I buy an FCM upgrade.

Probably an unlucky processing error which does happen from time to time. For me, the problem has been rectified both times after calling in, but I'd offer you these tips:

1. Call M-F because both times for me, the DM rep has had to call the skymiles desk to get things submitted for reprocessing. That isn't open on weekends, so you might end up with a clueless agent feeding you misinformation.
2. Given the snow and other delays going on right now, you might want to wait a couple days so that can all sort itself out, for shorter hold times and self-prioritizing this below people who are presently stranded somewhere.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Car Executive
Originally Posted by kpbadger
Probably an unlucky processing error which does happen from time to time. For me, the problem has been rectified both times after calling in, but I'd offer you these tips:

1. Call M-F because both times for me, the DM rep has had to call the skymiles desk to get things submitted for reprocessing. That isn't open on weekends, so you might end up with a clueless agent feeding you misinformation.
2. Given the snow and other delays going on right now, you might want to wait a couple days so that can all sort itself out, for shorter hold times and self-prioritizing this below people who are presently stranded somewhere.
Sent in the request by e-mail via Delta.com as I am not in a hurry. I will report back on the resolution and presumably validate there is no change and it was just a processing error.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Here is another data point on a purchased FCM up-sell not earning 50% bonus MQMs:

Purchased BOS-JFK-LAX-BOS thru company travel website on 11-15-17 for travel 12-5 and 12-8
Purchased upgrade on 11-15-17 for LAX-BOS for return on 12-8 for additional $268 out of my own pocket as company will not pay for F. (Side Note: received complimentary upgrade for BOS-JFK and used RUC and received gate upgrade for JFK-LAX. So great results per my plan.)
I don't remember how I purchased the upgrade as I have done it by phone, Delta.com and iphone app on various tickets when I want to purchase an FCM upgrade.
Delta.com showed the LAX-BOS segment as booked in "P". My printed boarding pass shows "P".

Delta.com Skymiles activity now shows two entries for the trip: (1) normal earnings for the round trip with the LAX-BOS coded as "V" and dated the outbound date and (2) seat upgrade earnings for LAX-BOS dated the return date but earnings only for "MQD" and "RDMs". Entry 1 has 100% MQMs and Entry 2 has 0 MQM. So right now I have earned 100% MQMs for a trip when I purchased the upgrade well in advance.

Looking at my receipts I see a Seat Upgrade receipt with a different 006 ticket number than the receipt for the original purchase.

I had this exact basic thing happen to me, I think this weekend. I did an FCM on MSP>ORD for $63 to get the bonus MQM. I did it several days in advance. The bonus MQM did post with the flight as expected at 500 MQM + 250 MQM, which was what I needed. And then the fee for the seat posted as MDM/RDM as a separate line entry. Mildly confusing but fine by me, everything posted properly.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 5:16 am

Smile Received the 50% Bonus MQMs as Expected

Sent in the request by e-mail via Delta.com as I am not in a hurry. I will report back on the resolution and presumably validate there is no change and it was just a processing error.
Finally obtained the 50% bonus MQMs via e-mail. Original request sent to Delta on 12/10 and received a auto reply on the same day. Yesterday on 12/19 received a cryptic reply with no meaningful information except a repeat of my original request info. So I decided to call to ask what the reply meant. Diamond line did not have access to the e-mail and tired to fix the problem via call to Skymiles department. Skymiles department claimed I was not entitled because my fare was not high enough for bonus MQMs which I knew was wrong because segment was booked in "P" class and pointed it out to Diamond agent. Diamond agent provides me Delta customer care number.

So I call customer care and go thru the story again. Customer care advises me she can't find e-mail request because it might be in the "old" system. So she checks "old" system and does find it along with attached boarding pass and manually transfers it to the "new" system. She the calls over to Skymiles department that this time agrees I am entitled to 50% bonus and tells me I will see it within 24 hours. 8 hours later and it has posted.

Has anybody encountered a "new" vs "old" e-mail system? My e-mail was sent via a link on Delta.com on 12-10. So perhaps there has been a change recently. If you have not heard back from a comment/complaint lately perhaps it is in the wrong system too.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
OK, I see the posting above from Zorak with the T&C pasted in. So SDC kills your MQM/MQD in this situation too? ...? I recently decided to take DL up on the UG offer on a previously purchased SFO<>JFK itinerary. Completed the flights, and the postings for the outbound and return flights were different. On the outbound, I flew the flights as originally booked, and I received MQD for the original purchased fare and then received a separate posting for the additional dollars I spent to move to Delta One on my flight (post labeled "SEAT UPGRADE: MILEAGE AND MQD ACCRUAL)." On the return, I arrived at JFK quite early and found open J seats on two earlier flights, called and requested SDC and my ticket was reissued, no problem, no mention of fare class or UGs. When the flight posted, I again saw the MQM/MQD for the coach airfare, but the second posting never appeared as it did after the outbound flight. I called and was told that I didn't fly the flight that my "upgrade" applied to, so I forfeited the MQM/MQDs I paid to move into J on this segment. Thinking this was absurd, I sent a TTU message and received this email reply: "I am sorry for the confusion with the upgrade. I am showing the upgrade was for flight 483 but you traveled on flight 431. Unfortunately you would have to travel on the flight the upgrade was issued for to receive credit." This is insane. If true this is nothing more than an excuse to screw the passenger out of MQM/MQD on a totally irrelevant technicality. Anyone have experience here?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
It earns miles and mqds if you buy it before check-in at least that's my experience.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by funflier
OK, I see the posting above from Zorak with the T&C pasted in. So SDC kills your MQM/MQD in this situation too? ...? I recently decided to take DL up on the UG offer on a previously purchased SFO<>JFK itinerary. Completed the flights, and the postings for the outbound and return flights were different. On the outbound, I flew the flights as originally booked, and I received MQD for the original purchased fare and then received a separate posting for the additional dollars I spent to move to Delta One on my flight (post labeled "SEAT UPGRADE: MILEAGE AND MQD ACCRUAL)." On the return, I arrived at JFK quite early and found open J seats on two earlier flights, called and requested SDC and my ticket was reissued, no problem, no mention of fare class or UGs. When the flight posted, I again saw the MQM/MQD for the coach airfare, but the second posting never appeared as it did after the outbound flight. I called and was told that I didn't fly the flight that my "upgrade" applied to, so I forfeited the MQM/MQDs I paid to move into J on this segment. Thinking this was absurd, I sent a TTU message and received this email reply: "I am sorry for the confusion with the upgrade. I am showing the upgrade was for flight 483 but you traveled on flight 431. Unfortunately you would have to travel on the flight the upgrade was issued for to receive credit." This is insane. If true this is nothing more than an excuse to screw the passenger out of MQM/MQD on a totally irrelevant technicality. Anyone have experience here?
Done it multiple times. Looking back at my record, it definitely appears to properly credit me MQDs for a buy-up if I do it before check-in and don’t SDC. The times I’ve SDC’d, that’s when I had to call in. Something about reissuing your ticket causes it to leave the buy-up “open” and it doesn’t “close” when your flight is flown. I have had to HUACA more on this than any other issue so be prepared to politely do so.

Have your receipt / email from the buy-up available when you call. Explain that it hasn’t credited for MQDs, you think it may still be open, and have them send it to the SkyMiles desk for processing. This is how it was explained to me the penultimate time it happened and when it came up again a few weeks ago I was able to get it done much easier because I asked that way.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:35 pm

Thx. I will try and post an update.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by TetonSig
Done it multiple times...
Thx again for the assist. HUCAed, informed that the cert needed to be closed, agent called SM desk, closed and MQDs posted 3 days later. DM desk rep says "you taught me something." I think, "I shouldn't know your job better than you do..." Agree that calling during the day (9-4 EST) is best to get SM agent that can fix it. I may think twice about SDC a paid UG in the future. The T&C posted above could be interpreted literally to mean ANY change of flight or even seat assignment could invalidate the deal... That is ridiculous, but it was harder than expected to get this fixed!
TetonSig likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
It earns miles and mqds if you buy it before check-in at least that's my experience.
Thanks. I was doing some searches and there seemed to be conflicting information and some assumptions that weren't clear. Right now I'm about $200 short of hitting Platinum for next year with only one planned trip left, thats in December (counting the MQDs for that ticket since it is already purchased). So my plan if nothing else comes up between now and then is buy an upgrade to first for the return leg a week or two before (right now they're sitting at about $300 and I doubt that'll change much based on past experience with that flight) rather than try to do a mileage run. Its a route I'd probably be upgraded on anyway so I wouldn't want to waste the money unless it bumps me up a medallion level.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
It definitely earns both MQD for the cost of the upgrade and MQM bonus miles. But about 10% of the time you have to call to get the MQM to post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.