Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Would it kill DL staff to apologize for delays? Or even acknowledge them?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would it kill DL staff to apologize for delays? Or even acknowledge them?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 9:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gooselee
I think most people agree with you on this, but again the experience you described sounds like an unfortunate outlier, and that's bound to happen due to sheer volume of DL flights.

That said, I'm pretty sure GAs and pilots are specifically trained to provide delay updates, since every time I have a delayed flight, questions about updates from those two roles appear on the email survey I get.
PMNW had a rule saying that there should be a status update announcement every 15 or 30 minutes during a delay, even if there was no news.
Old May 28, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Increasing, customer service employees feel that they don't have to apologize for something that isn't their personal fault.
Well I would have to agree it is a meaningless apology.

Delta's creeping delays and inaccurate projections bother me a lot more. Flying out of HSV a couple of weeks ago, we had profuse apologies. Also at one point there was 17 minutes projected to turn around and dispatch a 717.
Old May 28, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by DiverDave

Delta's creeping delays and inaccurate projections bother me a lot more. Flying out of HSV a couple of weeks ago, we had profuse apologies. Also at one point there was 17 minutes projected to turn around and dispatch a 717.
Something I have seen multiple times... I'm waiting at the gate, inbound aircraft late, not expected to arrive until after scheduled departure time for the outbound flight, and DL still will not admit that departure is going to be late.

But, what can you expect when the airline is willing to give you a fallacious T-40 boarding time, when the inbound aircraft isn't even schedule to reach the gate until after T-40? Have seen this multiple times also.
Old May 28, 2017, 11:15 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by DiverDave
It's kind of like hearing . . . .

"Thank you for being a Diamond" at EVERY, SINGLE, POSSIBLE encounter with a Delta employee . . . . From the phone agents, to the airport - Landside before your trip - Airside at the SkyClub and at the gate - On the plane - and Landside at baggage!

As much as the DYKWIA in me likes hearing it, after a while, it's just absolutely TIRING to hear it SOOOOOOO often, and seemingly insincere!

Old May 28, 2017, 12:15 pm

I've had many times when they didn't acknowledge the delay (and my last flight was delayed but got there on time, captain made no announcement to that effect though, I had to ask the flight attendant. Actually, captain made no announcements period that whole flight).

But I think it is the "hear nothing say nothing" motto everybody follows nowadays. Oh, wait, is that "see something say something"?
Old May 28, 2017, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I've had many times when they didn't acknowledge the delay (and my last flight was delayed but got there on time, captain made no announcement to that effect though, I had to ask the flight attendant. Actually, captain made no announcements period that whole flight).

But I think it is the "hear nothing say nothing" motto everybody follows nowadays. Oh, wait, is that "see something say something"?
thank you! i felt like i was being gaslit here...
Old May 28, 2017, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
No, but the other posts simply make the point that yours was out of "character".

As a matter of personal preference, an apology offered for a delay as a matter of a service standard is meaningless and just increases the amount of needless chatter on the PA system. If the delay was preventable, DL ought to address that and if it was not preventable, that is the end of it.

All I want is the best estimate of departure time based on the facts known at the time. Then I can plan accordingly.

I fully understand that the problem with that simple request is that it starts the Parade of the Numpties who rant that they were told 3 hours and it turned into 15 minutes or vice-a-versa, all part of the growing need for better crystal balls at the gate.
Numpties? What? LOL
Old May 28, 2017, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
What I hate is when they call for children and passengers needing more time to board and there are none but yet they wait an eternity to call premium. Common sense would say that if there are no pre-boards then you should proceed imediafely to genera boarding.
Old May 28, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I've had 3 delays resulting in arrivals > 4 hours delayed THIS week and will actually support the OP a bit. My ATL>LAX flight on Thursday was delayed significantly and while we did receive updates that it would be delayed (mostly via app), we were never told why and the notice was too late for me to have not left Sky Club. My assumption is if they don't tell us, it's their fault especially since all other flights going out on time and no weather at destination.
Old May 28, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by davetravels

"Thank you for being a Diamond" at EVERY, SINGLE, POSSIBLE encounter with a Delta employee . . . . From the phone agents, to the airport - Landside before your trip - Airside at the SkyClub and at the gate - On the plane - and Landside at baggage!

As much as the DYKWIA in me likes hearing it, after a while, it's just absolutely TIRING to hear it SOOOOOOO often, and seemingly insincere!

I was in one of the SkyClubs in DTW and the concierge thanked me for both DM and 2MM status. I then told her, if Delta is thanking me for my status, why did they put me in a C+ middle seat (to SEA)? I ended up missing the F UG by one person, but the two people in my row were traveling together, and the lady offered to sit in the middle next to her companion, so I lucked out.
Old May 28, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm on board with the others. I was on ATL-JFK on Thursday. Boarding on time and got notification of 45min delay. Captain came out and used the intercom at front of plane and apologized and explained why.

JFK-ATL now... got notification just before I was dropped off. The agent at Sky Priority apologized. Asked if she could look into better option. None was available and she apologized again.

Checked-into sky club, thanked for being PM, and apologized for delay. Offered to find better. I declined and explained already looked into and looks like I'll get upgrade so no problem.

I can't think of a single time delays were not acknowledged AND apologies came.
Old May 28, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: DL GM
To echo others, in my experience Delta tends to over apologize for even the slightest delay, not just gate agents but check-in agents, flight attendants and pilots. I've had FAs apologize when boarding took a little longer than expected even when it didn't result in any delay.

That said, I've run into some DL gate agents recently who I would charitably describe as indifferent. Perhaps detached would be a better word. They're competent but just going through the motions.

I'd definitely contact Delta and say something though if you felt it was below standard service. One thing I will contact Delta about 100% of the time is poor GAs, though it is mainly in the context of GAs not enforcing bag rules, which is a pet peeve of mine.
Old May 28, 2017, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Something I have seen multiple times... I'm waiting at the gate, inbound aircraft late, not expected to arrive until after scheduled departure time for the outbound flight, and DL still will not admit that departure is going to be late.

But, what can you expect when the airline is willing to give you a fallacious T-40 boarding time, when the inbound aircraft isn't even schedule to reach the gate until after T-40? Have seen this multiple times also.
When all the kettles complain that Delta left them behind because the kettles failed to watch the Fly Delta app, the airline's best response is to just tell everyone to be at the gate the whole time. Otherwise, the stupid people will leave and not realize they've missed the flight until it's too late.

Even with an update announced every 7 minutes, some people (like Vanilla Ice, remember?) still can't pay attention.
Old May 29, 2017, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by davetravels

Think about how sad you'll be not hearing it if you ever drop below DM again though.
Old May 29, 2017, 3:16 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I seem to hear apologies again and again. At the gate, when landing, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.