Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Are Medallion Updgrades Clearing since Opt In/Out Enhancement?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA GE, CP ED

While I've observed my Diamond upgrades reliably clearing at 6 days ahead around 6:30p when upgrade inventory is available (e.g., on a Wednesday evening for the next Tuesday's flight), it is now 2:45p on day 5 and it still has not cleared.

DL.com shows that upgrade is requested and inventory is available as verified via a Y class search.

Anyone else having this issue or are anyone else's upgrades clearing since the enhancement?
Old May 25, 2017, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jsbh
While I've observed my Diamond upgrades reliably clearing at 6 days ahead around 6:30p when upgrade inventory is available (e.g., on a Wednesday evening for the next Tuesday's flight), it is now 2:45p on day 5 and it still has not cleared.

DL.com shows that upgrade is requested and inventory is available as verified via a Y class search.

Anyone else having this issue or are anyone else's upgrades clearing since the enhancement?
If a dummy booking shows as upgrade available, call DL. I've had DM agents be unwilling to push the upgrade on day 6 (because they see the published benefit as five days before, although I'm not sure whether they would want to wait for the scheduled flight time, 5 pm in ATL, or any time on day 5), but if it's really day 5, you need to call and probably ask for a supervisor.

BTW, upgrades at the DM window normally clear just after 5 pm ATL time (on Wednesday for a Tuesday flight). They apparently start with lower flight numbers, but the process is so fast now that the flight number doesn't really matter. The email from DL announcing your upgrade can take a couple hours, so that's probably why you think the magic time is around 6:30 pm on the east coast.

I assume you've checked that delta.dumb has your DL FF number attached to the PNR and thinks you're opted in or in previous terminology have requested the upgrade. I'm also assuming that there's nothing such as the AmEx companion cert that would prevent you from being eligible for the upfare.
Old May 25, 2017, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If a dummy booking shows as upgrade available, call DL. I've had DM agents be unwilling to push the upgrade on day 6 (because they see the published benefit as five days before, although I'm not sure whether they would want to wait for the scheduled flight time, 5 pm in ATL, or any time on day 5), but if it's really day 5, you need to call and probably ask for a supervisor.

BTW, upgrades at the DM window normally clear just after 5 pm ATL time (on Wednesday for a Tuesday flight). They apparently start with lower flight numbers, but the process is so fast now that the flight number doesn't really matter. The email from DL announcing your upgrade can take a couple hours, so that's probably why you think the magic time is around 6:30 pm on the east coast.

I assume you've checked that delta.dumb has your DL FF number attached to the PNR and thinks you're opted in or in previous terminology have requested the upgrade. I'm also assuming that there's nothing such as the AmEx companion cert that would prevent you from being eligible for the upfare.
Indeed... I've done all of that, including speaking with two agents who both don't see anything wrong and just suggested to see if it goes today.

Looks like nobody on my flight has been upgraded as F is empty.

I'm wondering if anyone is seeing upgrades or whether DL IT dorked this up too.
Old May 25, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
When I try to do a dummy booking for ANY flight with an F cabin on any date (inside or outside the DM window), the website is reporting "Upgrade Available" when I click "View Upgrade Availability." This language seems to be independent of fare class, and appears on segment selection and purchasing screens. Is there another place to check for eligibility during booking?
Old May 25, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL GM
I've seen a similar thing. As a FO, I've reliably cleared ~48 hours before my flight (including this past Monday), whereas the published benefit is only 24 hours.

For my flight tomorrow (I'm a few hours outside of the 24 hour window) no upgrade yet, but plenty of C+ open (and a little birdy told me WU is wide open as well).

IIUC, with the new changes everyone who opted-in will clear immediately at their published window. Those who did not opt-in will be able to select C+/F seats immediately after the list clears on a first-come/first-served basis if RU/WU are still open.

Once I hit the window for my flight I'll report back if indeed my interpretation is correct.
Old May 25, 2017, 1:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Have you tried to talk to a supervisor? In fact, when you call, have you asked the agents to see whether they see the "upgrade available" indication and also whether they can see any RU/OU inventory?

My strategy at this point would be to wait until about 5:50 pm ATL time and then call again.

If that doesn't work (or even if you want to do this now) try both removing and re-entering your FF number and doing the same with the upgrade request. Sometimes this has been known to shake loose an upgrade, but the risk is that doing this re-sets your upgrade request time that DL uses as a tie breaker.
Old May 25, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, WN A-List, AA Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
I was wondering about this myself. I have a flight on Saturday on which the long leg cleared at the 6-day window; the connecting flight seems packed (this is to Indianapolis for the Indy 500, which makes sense), so that's fine.

For the return flight on Tuesday I am connecting in LAX. IND-LAX hasn't cleared yet (makes sense for a Tuesday morning right after memorial day), but LAX-SMF that afternoon, which is wide open in FC and also shows upgrade space available has not cleared either, and the last time I did not clear that one was as a GM on a Monday morning.

Not sure what's going on.
Old May 25, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by yaychemistry
I've seen a similar thing. As a FO, I've reliably cleared ~48 hours before my flight (including this past Monday), whereas the published benefit is only 24 hours.

For my flight tomorrow (I'm a few hours outside of the 24 hour window) no upgrade yet, but plenty of C+ open (and a little birdy told me WU is wide open as well).

IIUC, with the new changes everyone who opted-in will clear immediately at their published window. Those who did not opt-in will be able to select C+/F seats immediately after the list clears on a first-come/first-served basis if RU/WU are still open.

Once I hit the window for my flight I'll report back if indeed my interpretation is correct.
I am so confused about the opt in and not opting in.
I have first class upgrades checked in my profile but not comfort +.
They are the same two boxes to check since I became a Plat for the first time in February.
Am I missing something?
Old May 25, 2017, 2:00 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester

If you are *sure* there is RU available, and you are willing to potentially reset your time-of-request tie-breaker if this fails, you could try unchecking and rechecking the upgrade request box per this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ru-window.html
Old May 25, 2017, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zorak
If you are *sure* there is RU available, and you are willing to potentially reset your time-of-request tie-breaker if this fails, you could try unchecking and rechecking the upgrade request box per this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ru-window.html
Thank you. I did try that as well and it did not work either. I think I'll wait until after 5:20pm (my scheduled departure time in 5 days) so I can use that as a data point for the agent, then probably ask for a supervisor given all the other anecdotal evidence here that suggests things have at least changed / at worst are broken.
Old May 25, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL - PM
I had similar issues with my flights for next Tuesday. No upgrades cleared last night (Wednesday 6 days before departure) when I would have expected them to, with the following availability:

BOI-SLC 12/12 FC seats available
SLC-ATL 10/20 seats available (no surprise that this one didn't clear as this flight is a very tough upgrade)
ATL-PBI 17/20 seats available

I had wondered if this was part of the new and improved (blue font) FCM, as I had an offer to upgrade all three legs for $299 this morning. But the first leg just cleared in the last hour; still nothing on the last leg.
Old May 25, 2017, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by apodo77
I am so confused about the opt in and not opting in.
I have first class upgrades checked in my profile but not comfort +.
They are the same two boxes to check since I became a Plat for the first time in February.
Am I missing something?
^this exactly. I'm wildly confused. When I click opt in it just brings me to the same preferences I had checked before.

My reading of it is nothing has changed in regards to how you opt in...its just now you can "opt out" as well??? Very confusing language and rollout imo...
Old May 25, 2017, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Good news - cleared

Ok... 5:20pm flight for next Tuesday... had not cleared as of 4:30pm or so but checking just now at 5:23pm it did!

Looks like they are clearing it on the 5 day mark now, precisely.

Anyone else seeing the same?
Old May 25, 2017, 4:27 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Ok... 5:20pm flight for next Tuesday... had not cleared as of 4:30pm or so but checking just now at 5:23pm it did!

Looks like they are clearing it on the 5 day mark now, precisely.

Anyone else seeing the same?
No. I flew last Thursday - 2 legs, and 3 legs this past Monday returning, and they ALL cleared into F/J at the 6 day mark.
Old May 25, 2017, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davetravels
No. I flew last Thursday - 2 legs, and 3 legs this past Monday returning, and they ALL cleared into F/J at the 6 day mark.
That was *before* yesterday's "enhancement" however.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.