Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo-Narita (NRT) Sky Club closure =(

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2017, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Have the NRT based 757's been brought back to the US?
Old May 29, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Have the NRT based 757's been brought back to the US?
No. They're still used for flights to GUM, SPN, and ROR.
Old May 29, 2017, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WWads
No. They're still used for flights to GUM, SPN, and ROR.
Wow, I can't believe there is still enough volume to feed those flights. I always thought 757's were unusual. You would think an A319 would be more appropriate.
Old May 29, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Wow, I can't believe there is still enough volume to feed those flights. I always thought 757's were unusual. You would think an A319 would be more appropriate.
I don't think that the A319s are equipped for over-water ops. Yeah, it is surprising. Maybe there's a military contract for GUM. Not sure about the other two destinations (no bases on either island).
Old May 30, 2017, 5:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
It was completely full, except for an empty business-class seat next to me, on a flight to Guam last week. Over 85% Japanese. The rest were local Guam types. Only one soldier.

The best legroom of any 757 makes up for the lack of power ports and in-flight entertainment. At least there's wireless internet.
Old May 31, 2017, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Those local beach market flights out of NRT are quite busy and likely profitable. Also GUM has a US base so depending when you take the flight, they are full of US military.

Unfortunately those 757s that used to have a lot of legroom were updated to the domestic 757 config, so squished in the back and standard F seating.
Old May 31, 2017, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guam and Saipan are not intra-Asian flights they are essentially flights to the United States (well at least a territory) While Palau is an independent country. It is essentially the US, as most of its budget comes from the US, the US maintains whatever rights is wants there (such as opening and closing bases when and if it wants). Something like 5% of the Palau population is serving in the US military at any one time, and over 30% has cumulatively, oh yeah, its citizens benefit from most US Federal Programs.

In any case the mainstays of all these economies is tourism, and at many times of the year DL could run another half dozen flights a day from multiple Japanese cities to Guam and make money (much as UA does), and that is before accounting for the bases. Same for Saipan. Not so for ROR, but then ROR has little frequency.
Old May 31, 2017, 4:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by rylan
Those local beach market flights out of NRT are quite busy and likely profitable. Also GUM has a US base so depending when you take the flight, they are full of US military.

Unfortunately those 757s that used to have a lot of legroom were updated to the domestic 757 config, so squished in the back and standard F seating.
They still have the generous legroom up front. Way, way more than any domestic 757.
Old May 31, 2017, 4:09 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hfly
Guam and Saipan are not intra-Asian flights they are essentially flights to the United States (well at least a territory) While Palau is an independent country. It is essentially the US, as most of its budget comes from the US, the US maintains whatever rights is wants there (such as opening and closing bases when and if it wants). Something like 5% of the Palau population is serving in the US military at any one time, and over 30% has cumulatively, oh yeah, its citizens benefit from most US Federal Programs.

In any case the mainstays of all these economies is tourism, and at many times of the year DL could run another half dozen flights a day from multiple Japanese cities to Guam and make money (much as UA does), and that is before accounting for the bases. Same for Saipan. Not so for ROR, but then ROR has little frequency.
I wonder if Delta can fly those routes out of HND if, as expected, it eventually closes all of its NRT flights down?
Old May 31, 2017, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Currently there is no HND-GUM scheduled service, that being said GUM is a pretty big destination from Japan. Served from 6-7 cities and up to 20 flights a day in season (normally 15-16'ish as some smaller Japanese cities don't fly everyday), Normally six a day from NRT 5-6 a day (JAl flies 767's, UA 2 out of 3 flights 777's) from KIX and then other services from Sapporo, Nagoya, Sendai, and Fukuoka. Delta, UA codesharing with ANA, JAL and T'way all fly there.
Old May 31, 2017, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I wonder if Delta can fly those routes out of HND if, as expected, it eventually closes all of its NRT flights down?
DL wanted to get enough HND slots to move their entire NRT operation (the flights that existed a couple of years ago, before the route cancelations) to HND, but alas that did not happen.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
They still have the generous legroom up front. Way, way more than any domestic 757.
I thought DL converted them to the standard 20F config last year? Looking at the seatmap for a few upcoming ones, its still the 75G model which is an older version but has the same 37" F pitch as the new config.
They used to have the 'interport' 757 with a lot more pitch, even though it was a pretty old interior.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Some talk of the NRT KE lounge up-thread. I've never been it but the reviews are somewhat dismal. Does the alcohol selection make it worth it over the Sky Club?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't even think the KE lounge was open during the afternoon DL arrival and departure rush period.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:18 pm

Sad. Back in February 2012 I traveled to ROR, and spent the NRT layovers in both directions in the Satellite 1 club. Sushi, beer machine, and the same wines served in Business Elite.

As for the 757 Interport models, I do wonder what Delta will ultimately replace these with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.