Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lavatories on long-hauls

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
On my only two EK F flights, there was a dedicated bathroom attendant who cleaned between each and every use. While totally overkill, I will say it was kind of nice using a completely refreshed restroom on each visit. These were 16+ hour flights so I can imagine the bathroom might get visited often.
Old May 25, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by rylan
I don't think every 30 min is feasible or necessary, but every few hours on a long flight, or 'as needed'. Maybe if they just do a check at regular intervals and clean if its becoming a mess. Normally its the sink area that has water all over it, and spilled on the floor.
Disagree. There could easily be 15 people using the lav in a 30 minute window, so I don't think this is too much, but certainly every hour. Think about a public restroom that has one of those logs, those are at least hourly.
Old May 25, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Disagree. There could easily be 15 people using the lav in a 30 minute window, so I don't think this is too much, but certainly every hour. Think about a public restroom that has one of those logs, those are at least hourly.
15 people seems to be a stretch. That's one person every 2 minutes, continuously over a 30 min period. I've never seen a lav that busy on a plane. And 2 minutes seems quick by the time one contorts oneself into whatever position they need to be in to accomplish whatever it is they are trying to accomplish.

I think an hour is more reasonable. And don't those logs just mean someone has checked on it every hour, not necessarily cleaned it every hour? I mean, if no one uses it for an hour, or only one person does, it's not going to need a full cleaning. Unless that one person has, ahem, some issues....

But that's why you check it!
Old May 25, 2017, 3:19 pm
JBa

Programs: some
There is a simple solution to the problem. If every lav user would clean up after him/herself, hopefully like they are doing at home, this problem wouldn't exist.

Doing frequent TATL trips in business, I walk into lavs where the toilet seats have urine stains, paper napkins all over the place or the waste baskets seems to overflow. A simple push down of the paper in the waste bin or wiping off your urine should be something a passenger can do.

The flight attendants will appreciate that too
Old May 25, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JBa
There is a simple solution to the problem. If every lav user would clean up after him/herself, hopefully like they are doing at home, this problem wouldn't exist.

Doing frequent TATL trips in business, I walk into lavs where the toilet seats have urine stains, paper napkins all over the place or the waste baskets seems to overflow. A simple push down of the paper in the waste bin or wiping off your urine should be something a passenger can do.

The flight attendants will appreciate that too
Amen. ^^

Old May 25, 2017, 4:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by rylan
Normally its the sink area that has water all over it, and spilled on the floor.
Umm. That's not water on the floor.
Old May 25, 2017, 4:11 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by anon2k2
On my only two EK F flights, there was a dedicated bathroom attendant who cleaned between each and every use. While totally overkill, I will say it was kind of nice using a completely refreshed restroom on each visit. These were 16+ hour flights so I can imagine the bathroom might get visited often.
The bottles of liquid hand soap also now a room fragrance sprayer discreetly incorporated into the back of the bottle.
Old May 29, 2017, 1:01 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
I'm currently on DL38 HKG-SEA and observed an FA cleaning the mid cabin lavs. We are about 3 hours into the flight It's a really nice touch.

Outbound I was in D1 so I didn't notice much issue with the lavs whether they were cleaned midflight or not.
Old May 29, 2017, 4:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by anon2k2
SQ does this in FC, even if the person just used the lavatory to change into PJs.
Old May 29, 2017, 9:20 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Interesting to read. I was on a TPAC 4-5 years ago and was surprised to see a flight attendant almost overhauling the bathroom. He was on his hands and knees scrubbing the floor and cleaning out the entire bath room. I took his name and sent an email to Delta about it.

By the way, I always clean up after myself, wipe down the sinks, seat rim, etc. But one thing that creeps me out is to shove the paper towels down in to the bin. One never knows what's underneath a pile of used paper towels.
Old May 29, 2017, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Bear4Asian
Interesting to read. I was on a TPAC 4-5 years ago and was surprised to see a flight attendant almost overhauling the bathroom. He was on his hands and knees scrubbing the floor and cleaning out the entire bath room. I took his name and sent an email to Delta about it.

By the way, I always clean up after myself, wipe down the sinks, seat rim, etc. But one thing that creeps me out is to shove the paper towels down in to the bin. One never knows what's underneath a pile of used paper towels.
One time went into the lav. Customer who was before me had obviously changed a diaper. Obvious because they didn't bother to 1)push it all the way in the trash bin, and 2)even worse didn't roll it up before stuffing it half into the trash bin, leaving a nice bright brown baby #2 on the trash bin door.
Old May 29, 2017, 9:57 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by flyerCO
One time went into the lav. Customer who was before me had obviously changed a diaper. Obvious because they didn't bother to 1)push it all the way in the trash bin, and 2)even worse didn't roll it up before stuffing it half into the trash bin, leaving a nice bright brown baby #2 on the trash bin door.
Exactly what I worry about when I think of pushing paper towels into the bin.

EEEEWWWWWWW!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.