NYC WX Waiver 5/25

Old May 24, 2017, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
NYC WX Waiver 5/25

DL posted a weather waiver for the NYC area for Thurs, May 25th.
Tickets must be reissued by 5/28 for travel on or earlier than 5/28.

Affected Cities (To / From / Through)

Newburgh, NY (SWF)
New York, NY-Kennedy(JFK)
New York, NY-LaGuardia (LGA)
Newark, NJ (EWR)
White Plains, NY (HPN)
Old May 24, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Avis First
Does anyone know why? All I see in the forecast is rain and maybe some winds. Maybe WX coupled with typical NYC traffic = expected delays?
Old May 24, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by dshides
Does anyone know why? All I see in the forecast is rain and maybe some winds. Maybe WX coupled with typical NYC traffic = expected delays?
Any time NYC gets rain and low cloud ceilings, delays are likely.

DL has been cautious recently (after the ATL incident), issuing preemptive weather waivers to give pax the option of changing flights, which would ideally decrease the stress on these airports in the event of IRROPS.
Old May 24, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
Any time NYC gets rain and low cloud ceilings, delays are likely.

DL has been cautious recently (after the ATL incident), issuing preemptive weather waivers to give pax the option of changing flights, which would ideally decrease the stress on these airports in the event of IRROPS.
Yep, on lower visibility days it would be unusual for NYC to not encounter ATC delays. And as you not, anyone time were in for a lot of rain and wind since the ATL storm issue, DL has been issuing waivers (we just had a waiver for Monday 5/22 as well).
Old May 24, 2017, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Good for DL for being proactive/more cautious about weather delays. Having the waiver helps as some pax will re-route to other airports or change their travel date, so there is more space available on the flights through the effected area to rebook pax in case of delays/cancellations.
Old May 24, 2017, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
The gap in this planning, however, is that it overlooks the spillover effect on other NE corridor cities.

IME, delays in NYC area end up causing delays into PHL, for example, even when the skies are clear in PHL.
Old May 24, 2017, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
The gap in this planning, however, is that it overlooks the spillover effect on other NE corridor cities.

IME, delays in NYC area end up causing delays into PHL, for example, even when the skies are clear in PHL.
Weather (storms at least) anywhere in the region result in compacted routing options that will often extend from BOS to PHL and maybe even DC. IME, it takes storms, not just rain/clouds, to make the impacts more widespread (butI could be wrong)
Old May 24, 2017, 10:45 am

Does anyone have a link to the weather waiver info? I have a flight leaving from LGA tomorrow evening, called a few hours ago, but the rep said no waiver yet.
Old May 24, 2017, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by sarah07282
Does anyone have a link to the weather waiver info? I have a flight leaving from LGA tomorrow evening, called a few hours ago, but the rep said no waiver yet.
Welcome to FT sarah07282!

Here you go: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...a-weather.html
Old May 24, 2017, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by ty97
Welcome to FT sarah07282!

Here you go: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...a-weather.html
Thank you very much!
Old May 24, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
DL has been issuing weather waivers for the NY area very frequently lately, and often when the forecast doesn't seem especially severe or unusual. I agree it's a good thing to be proactive and I fully appreciate what they're doing, but it also seems to highlight how fragile the air traffic system is in that area.
Old May 24, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
On 8am flight from ATL so hopefully be fine.
Old May 24, 2017, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Correct on the spillover... when JFK is getting hit with delays, it kills a lot of the BOS<>JFK and BOS<>LGA feeders.
Old May 24, 2017, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by dshides
Runway 4R/22L at JFK is closed for construction. Given that constraint, when winds aren't out of the northwest and there are low ceilings, the airport will land on runway 13L and depart on runway 13R. This configuration typically allows an arrival rate of 28 per hour. A ground delay program with a 28-rate translates into average arrival delays of 3-4 hours, depending on how much demand there is.

That's why Delta issued a weather waiver for "just rain".
Old May 24, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
This happened about two weeks ago with massive rain/low visibility.

I was supposed to fly LGA-MSP at 6:55pm. The inbound got stuck in TPA with ATC Flow. Flight left 6+ hours late.

We ultimately gave up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.