Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Adding Post-Purchase Comfort+, FC Upgrade Purchases

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2017, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gooselee
How post-purchase upgrades work: Based on Delta's announcement 24 May, anyone who purchases a ticket for coach can purchase a Comfort+ or First Class upgrade. No mention was made of Delta One. Upgrades are available as of 24 May via phone or web; app functionality is pending according to the airline. No mention of relative cost was provided.

Some further details here:Delta to Offer A Variety of Ways to Upgrade Tickets After Purchase

Link to Delta's press release: http://news.delta.com/delta-expands-...age-upgrades-0

Link to Delta.com page about the changes: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-upgrades.html

Partial T&Cs, emphases mine:

Terms and Conditions:

The advertised price is not an offer and is subject to change. No contract exists until you receive confirmation that payment was received and processed. Upgrades may only be purchased for Delta- or Delta Connection- operated flights and are not available for Award Tickets and certain discounted and exception fares. Additional eligibility restrictions may apply at Delta's sole discretion. All passengers within the confirmation number must be upgraded to Main Cabin, Delta Comfort+ TM, or First/Delta One fare classes. Fare rules of your initial reservation will apply regardless of whether rules that would otherwise apply to the fare class of your upgraded ticket are less restrictive, i.e. changeability/refundability. Upgraded tickets are eligible for additional mileage, Medallion Qualification Miles and Medallion Qualification Dollars accruals due to the selection of Delta Comfort+ TM or First/Delta One and associated fare classes, and the increase in base fare or carrier imposed surcharges paid in connection with your upgrade.
Print Wikipost

Delta Adding Post-Purchase Comfort+, FC Upgrade Purchases

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2017, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
My reading of this is that if you "opt out" you are not opting out from being upgraded but instead you are opting out from being automatically re-seated, even though your ticket would still be cleared for upgrade. When you are cleared during the upgrade window, and you have also "opted out," you are then able to go into the seat map and either:

1) Remain in your current seat (Y or C+)/class of service (even though you've been upgraded)

or

2) manually select a new seat in the upgraded class you have been cleared into.

If this did not lower my priority I would actually like this a lot, because there are certain C+ seats that I prefer over certain F seats, and there are times I only want to be upgraded if I can remain with someone I am traveling with on a separate pnr, etc. In other words, there are times when I only want the upgrade on a flight if certain other parameters are met.

What is not clear is what will happen when someone is upgraded and does not select a seat in F: When does that inventory become available for others to use? At the gate? If a DM is upgraded 5 days out but has opted out, and does not move, can an FO have that inventory at 24 hours, or does the DM retain that inventory throughout the window until the gate?

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding this?
I don't think that's right, based on the fact that none of the language re: UG preferences in my DL.com or PNRs changed, and the very good point that an upgraded pax choosing to remain in a lower class of service would cause lots of confusion with inventory and seat assignments in both cabins.

Either this wasn't fully thought through, or the marketing comms folks at DL are as confused as the rest of us. Maybe both.
Old May 24, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Lifetime Silver, Delta MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat, Lifetime Hilton Honors Diamond
I assume this is the product I purchased a few weeks ago to upgrade to First thinking it was the normal FCM only to find it doesn't qualify for the 150% MQM bonus. Hopefully Delta is being upfront about this.
Old May 24, 2017, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Jump
I assume this is the product I purchased a few weeks ago to upgrade to First thinking it was the normal FCM only to find it doesn't qualify for the 150% MQM bonus. Hopefully Delta is being upfront about this.
At OLCI? Or before? If before should have been 150% MQMs. At OLCI it's essentially RU Fare.
Old May 24, 2017, 7:10 pm

I received the offer on the manage my trips. It would cost me $1296 to upgrade my flight. PIT-JFK-LHR-ATL-PIT. I already paid for C+ on the JFK-LHR-ATL segments. This is for this August.
Old May 24, 2017, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
I received the offer on the manage my trips. It would cost me $1296 to upgrade my flight. PIT-JFK-LHR-ATL-PIT. I already paid for C+ on the JFK-LHR-ATL segments. This is for this August.
Is this a RT upgrade offer for FC on the domestic segments and D1 on the TATL flights?
Old May 24, 2017, 7:55 pm

Yes. I assume so.
Old May 24, 2017, 10:41 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
I think this is a great change for gold medallion, but probably not for PM and DM. Given I have some credit cards that include travel incidental reimbursements such as seat upgrades, i can once again use them or pay with points for the upgrade after i book my ticket that is reimbursed by my company.
Old May 25, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles Lifetime Silver, Delta MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat, Lifetime Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
At OLCI? Or before? If before should have been 150% MQMs. At OLCI it's essentially RU Fare.
I don't remember how far in advance but it was multiple days. I called the Diamond line and they told me this was a brand new product they were rolling out and it didn't qualify for the 150%. However, I just went in to look at my account and they have since apparently changed their minds and they gave me the 150% for the date in question. So either they decided they had messed up or they decided to change the policy of the new product.
Old May 25, 2017, 6:47 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Jump
I don't remember how far in advance but it was multiple days. I called the Diamond line and they told me this was a brand new product they were rolling out and it didn't qualify for the 150%. However, I just went in to look at my account and they have since apparently changed their minds and they gave me the 150% for the date in question. So either they decided they had messed up or they decided to change the policy of the new product.
I know it's too late now for this case, but I would be curious about what the fine print says and how it compares to this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...l#post28086608

... which specifically mentions the extra MQMs.
Old May 25, 2017, 7:42 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
I'm confused about this language here (emphasis mine):
You will both be eligible for a Complimentary Medallion Upgrade as long as the companion is a SkyMiles Member. Medallion Members traveling with one companion will clear for Complimentary Upgrades based on the Status of the higher-tiered Member, upgrades will be available no more than 24 hours prior to departure.
Seems to suggest a partial undoing of the new companion upgrade priority. For first class this would hardly make any difference since it's rare for F upgrades to clear more than 24 hours in advance these days anyway, but for C+ upgrades if you can only get upgraded with a companion 24 hours out, then I would be very annoyed. (I know there are others who disliked the new companion upgrade policy and would like this change, though.)
Old May 25, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pharmawalk
I think this is a great change for gold medallion, but probably not for PM and DM. Given I have some credit cards that include travel incidental reimbursements such as seat upgrades, i can once again use them or pay with points for the upgrade after i book my ticket that is reimbursed by my company.
The biggest change here is being able to downgrade if upgraded. That is definitely a nice change (yes, I realize that's unscrewing a bad implementation, but nice nonetheless).

Plus, the ability to buy up per segment is nice. One thing I've always had a hard time with being based in JAX is paying for the upgrade for the 45 minute JAX-ATL flight so I can sit in first on say, ATL-SAN. Just felt like a waste to me. Looking at my booked itineraries, the price JAX-ATL is always more than the price ATL-XXX, despite the fact ATL-XXX is always the longer flight. It's a limited sample size at the moment, and there are no internationals booked at present, but it's definitely helpful for me.
Old May 25, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bgriff
You will both be eligible for a Complimentary Medallion Upgrade as long as the companion is a SkyMiles Member. Medallion Members traveling with one companion will clear for Complimentary Upgrades based on the Status of the higher-tiered Member, upgrades will be available no more than 24 hours prior to departure.
Seems to suggest a partial undoing of the new companion upgrade priority. For first class this would hardly make any difference since it's rare for F upgrades to clear more than 24 hours in advance these days anyway, but for C+ upgrades if you can only get upgraded with a companion 24 hours out, then I would be very annoyed. (I know there are others who disliked the new companion upgrade policy and would like this change, though.)

Good call out - that's annoying as I read it. I will say, my companion and I were upgraded from C+ to F overnight Tuesday night (when this was going in). That would be at the start of the DM window, as the flight is Monday. Now, this change may have rolled out a couple hours after my upgrade processed, so I don't know if my experience is an accurate data point.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, HH Dia
Flying ATL-DCA on Sunday, 5/28 on an A321 (29 C+ seats).

Comfort+ is $74, or I can just wait until the window and get upgraded since there are 23 of 29 C+ seats open.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:53 am

So Delta is offering me the opportunity to upgrade to C+ on an upcoming flight to Cleveland....It's only $77 each way. There's just ONE small problem. I am sitting in a C+ seat I paid for at booking. IT needs to work on this!
Old May 25, 2017, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by bgriff
I noticed this too and am curious to see how it starts playing out, especially with C+ and PM/DMs. That said, I got a window UG to FC with Mrs. Lee last week (on an Amex cert ex-ATL no less), so they do happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.