Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Adding Post-Purchase Comfort+, FC Upgrade Purchases

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2017, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gooselee
How post-purchase upgrades work: Based on Delta's announcement 24 May, anyone who purchases a ticket for coach can purchase a Comfort+ or First Class upgrade. No mention was made of Delta One. Upgrades are available as of 24 May via phone or web; app functionality is pending according to the airline. No mention of relative cost was provided.

Some further details here:Delta to Offer A Variety of Ways to Upgrade Tickets After Purchase

Link to Delta's press release: http://news.delta.com/delta-expands-...age-upgrades-0

Link to Delta.com page about the changes: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-upgrades.html

Partial T&Cs, emphases mine:

Terms and Conditions:

The advertised price is not an offer and is subject to change. No contract exists until you receive confirmation that payment was received and processed. Upgrades may only be purchased for Delta- or Delta Connection- operated flights and are not available for Award Tickets and certain discounted and exception fares. Additional eligibility restrictions may apply at Delta's sole discretion. All passengers within the confirmation number must be upgraded to Main Cabin, Delta Comfort+ TM, or First/Delta One fare classes. Fare rules of your initial reservation will apply regardless of whether rules that would otherwise apply to the fare class of your upgraded ticket are less restrictive, i.e. changeability/refundability. Upgraded tickets are eligible for additional mileage, Medallion Qualification Miles and Medallion Qualification Dollars accruals due to the selection of Delta Comfort+ TM or First/Delta One and associated fare classes, and the increase in base fare or carrier imposed surcharges paid in connection with your upgrade.
Print Wikipost

Delta Adding Post-Purchase Comfort+, FC Upgrade Purchases

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2017, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by SFCav
"In addition to the current automatic upgrade clearing process, Medallion Members may choose, instead, to self-select upgrade seats from the seat map once their eligibility window opens."

Has anyone seen where on your Delta profile you can select to self-select upgrades? Also, did I read somewhere that those who auto-opt-in will receive priority over those who self-select upgraded seats?

From SkyMiles news and updates, "Medallion Members who are opted in to Complimentary Upgrades will still receive first priority for Complimentary Upgrades to First Class and Delta Comfort+ over Medallion Members who choose to opt out."

In other words, thank you in advance to whomever chooses to opt-out for giving me your upgrade
Old May 24, 2017, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by NoShoesNation
Interesting that the article says "Any Delta ticket is eligible, regardless of where it was purchased or how it was paid for. "

We have award tickets MEM-ATL-FCO next month. When we originally booked, we were given the option of C+ for the ATL-FCO leg, which I did choose to purchase. We did not have an option for C+ on MEM-ATL leg, which I probably would not have chosen. I would be interested in purchasing a Business upgrade for ATL-FCO, though, but when I look at my reservation, there are currently no upgrade offers for either leg.

Business seats are grayed out when I view my reservation...but when I check the seats available as if I were making a new reservation, it shows 11 available.
I wouldn't expect to see an offer for an upgrade for this.
Old May 24, 2017, 12:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rylan
Just be careful with the upgrade offers within your itineraries... as I posted in the other FCM/Seatmap wierdness thread, some upgrade offers actually cost more than the difference between what you paid and buying a new ticket. If you call up you can get the actual price difference and not the online offer.
I notice this sometimes with the upgrade to FC offers on delta.dumb at the time of purchase.
Old May 24, 2017, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by The Situation
From SkyMiles news and updates, "Medallion Members who are opted in to Complimentary Upgrades will still receive first priority for Complimentary Upgrades to First Class and Delta Comfort+ over Medallion Members who choose to opt out."

In other words, thank you in advance to whomever chooses to opt-out for giving me your upgrade
If you opt out, you shouldn't get any complimentary upgrades, at any priority. What part of "opt out" does DL not understand? [Of course this needs to be understood in the context of upgrades to FC and "upgrades" to C+ being considered separately.]
Old May 24, 2017, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NoShoesNation
Interesting that the article says "Any Delta ticket is eligible, regardless of where it was purchased or how it was paid for. "

We have award tickets MEM-ATL-FCO next month. When we originally booked, we were given the option of C+ for the ATL-FCO leg, which I did choose to purchase. We did not have an option for C+ on MEM-ATL leg, which I probably would not have chosen. I would be interested in purchasing a Business upgrade for ATL-FCO, though, but when I look at my reservation, there are currently no upgrade offers for either leg.

Business seats are grayed out when I view my reservation...but when I check the seats available as if I were making a new reservation, it shows 11 available.
C+ is not an separate booking class on TATL routes. It's just an add-on purchase, so you were not really purchasing an "upgrade" in the sense of a fare upgrade. It is wholly different from domestic routes where you would have had to cancel your main cabin award and book a actual C+ fare award to get C+. Read the Delta press release. Nowhere does it say that "Any Delta ticket is eligible". I'd say the author of the Frequent Business Traveler article is taking liberties and would not assume this is available on award tickets.

Last edited by xliioper; May 24, 2017 at 12:38 pm
Old May 24, 2017, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LBJ
I'd say the author of the Frequent Business Traveler article is taking liberties and would not assume this is available on award tickets.
Delta's T&Cs explicitly say the buy-up is not available on award tickets. That's why I added the T&C excerpt to the wiki and highlighted the award exclusion.
Old May 24, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
Seeing some interesting deals with this..

Doing JFK-SEA-GEG-SEA-GEG in a couple of months, looks like it's around $300 to UG JFK-SEA-GEG and about $300 to UG on the SEA-JFK leg back.

Not going to bite, as none of them are redeyes and I don't mind C+, but it's definitely a different ballgame than the old FCM.
Old May 24, 2017, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Because This Makes Sense.....

Name:  DL UG Screenshot.jpg
Views: 3397
Size:  109.0 KB

SEA-ATL leg: $332
ATL-GSO leg: $85
SEA-ATL-GSO (both legs): $299.

So I can upgrade both legs for cheaper than it would cost me for the SEA-ATL leg. Makes sense.....

Old May 24, 2017, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Delta's T&Cs explicitly say the buy-up is not available on award tickets. That's why I added the T&C excerpt to the wiki and highlighted the award exclusion.
Well, now that you pointed it out, I noticed it.
Old May 24, 2017, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Email just came out about this with a link to this page: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-upgrades.html

After reading both the email and that page, I'm horribly confused about what has actually changed? We've been able to opt-in/opt-out to automagic C+ and FC upgrades separately basically since the inception of W fares, no?

It IS a good change that you can move from C+ back out to Main Cabin (e.g., on those MDs with the single seat exit row). But other than that and being able to buy-up online from corporate portal tickets....I'm not sure what they've actually changed or why there's such a big focus on the opt-in/opt-out thing?

My standard play these days is to leave automatic C+ unchecked, and then after ticketing if it shows UG available and there's a desireable C+ seat, I will check it on that PNR/flight only and then DL.com will refresh with the WU upgrade and I pick my seat. Otherwise I stay in Main Cabin. I assume this is still a viable way to do things.
Old May 24, 2017, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
So now we have C+M in addition to FCM.

Originally Posted by TTT
That said, C+M isn't really new. When C+ first rolled out (as EC) it was always a buy-up option after purchase. The difference here is that it is now available via two points of sale (at purchase and post-purchase) with more ease.
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I'm a little confused. What is fundamentally new here? (I can't see any of the posted images for some reason)
I seem to always have seen post-purchase upgrade offers to C+ and/or FC for tickets purchased through DL.com.
Both of these. I've seen C+M offers right alongside FCM offers for as long as I can remember. Usually happens when I purposely stay in Main Cabin for a better seat, but there are a few C+ and/or FC seats still available. I'll get the two boxes offering buy up to C+ on one side, and buy up to FC on the other side. Not a new thing.
Old May 24, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you opt out, you shouldn't get any complimentary upgrades, at any priority. What part of "opt out" does DL not understand?
My reading of this is that if you "opt out" you are not opting out from being upgraded but instead you are opting out from being automatically re-seated, even though your ticket would still be cleared for upgrade. When you are cleared during the upgrade window, and you have also "opted out," you are then able to go into the seat map and either:

1) Remain in your current seat (Y or C+)/class of service (even though you've been upgraded)

or

2) manually select a new seat in the upgraded class you have been cleared into.

If this did not lower my priority I would actually like this a lot, because there are certain C+ seats that I prefer over certain F seats, and there are times I only want to be upgraded if I can remain with someone I am traveling with on a separate pnr, etc. In other words, there are times when I only want the upgrade on a flight if certain other parameters are met.

What is not clear is what will happen when someone is upgraded and does not select a seat in F: When does that inventory become available for others to use? At the gate? If a DM is upgraded 5 days out but has opted out, and does not move, can an FO have that inventory at 24 hours, or does the DM retain that inventory throughout the window until the gate?

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding this?
Old May 24, 2017, 4:23 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
As someone who often ends up booking a sub-40 minute connection in ATL in the name of saving sometimes $200 on the base ticket, I'm looking forward to the return of the $19 VPS-ATL C+/EC buy up that got me far enough to the front of the cabin that I could have a proper bathroom stop between flights.
Old May 24, 2017, 5:05 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I have a one-way ticket PHX-JFK in august they cost $164.

today I saw a banner offering an UG to FC for $312.xx.

Last edited by 355F1; May 24, 2017 at 5:13 pm
Old May 24, 2017, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I'm a little confused. What is fundamentally new here? (I can't see any of the posted images for some reason)
I seem to always have seen post-purchase upgrade offers to C+ and/or FC for tickets purchased through DL.com. These always seemed to be based on the fare difference at the time of ticketing. Of course after a schedule change, even just a flight number, the offer disappeared, and if you called they would quote the current fare difference, often notably higher.

Has this been "improved" to:
1) Allow the advance upgrade of travel-agent purchased tickets (a huge pet peeve of mine)
2) Offer a discounted upgrade price?
and/or
3) Be more reliably available?

I mean, all good news, but not really *big* news, right?
I honestly don't think there is anything "new" or "big" here, except that Delta is not promoting the monetization/upgrade option in a more prominent position than it has previously been located on Delta.dumb bookings.

My concern is whether someone who doesn't know that $200 doesn't buy "luxury" on a 90-minute domestic first-class CRJ-900 flight is offered the same buy-up price as a Delta platinum or diamond. In the past, we've all read that top-tiers haven't been offered the same buy-up opportunities, likely because they know it isn't worth paying for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.