Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Paid F on AMEX Reserve Companion, Wife downgraded to Y

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2017, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: 3MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...

The wife and I were traveling, she was on one of my paid F companion certs and on the same PNR. All legs were in A fare buckets.

Our seats were all together, there were no MX or weather issues, and the first leg goes smooth. After landing in ATL I noticed her BP had disappeared from my app yet they were still on hers. Now all of a sudden instead of her being in 4D and me in 4C, I am in 1B and she's in 10B. With little time to sort it out and no red coat around we just boarded and decided to deal with it later. The GA was apparently in no mood to help and her canned response was to go to the issue desk down the hall in Concourse B.

Returning home we had no issues and all went as it should. Fast forward to this morning on the DM line and there is a note on our ticket that simply says "split reservation at request of DL office" and the agent didn't know what to even say nor had she even seen anything like that. We obviously didn't call from 36K feet requesting my wife to be downgraded and taken off my RSVP for one leg. Right now there has been no resolution and I requested a refund for the difference in fare in our favor for the downgrade and slight humiliation of my spouse at boarding.

We have used Amex Reserve companion certs for years without issue, this one was a odd experience.

*please excuse typos from my iPhone
Old May 23, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
3rd thread of the day for involuntary downgrade from F.

Good luck to you.
Old May 23, 2017, 9:54 am

Might have been a Federal Air Marshall that took her seat. They sit in first class and can bump passengers.

The airline can't tell you that's what happened, but that's my bet on this one.

Keep pushing for some compensation.
Old May 23, 2017, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
You should receive a $200 voucher for the involuntary downgrade, along with fare difference. The tricky thing here is they will argue there is no fare difference since it was a 'free' ticket. Bazaar that your seat was changed also. Did you get a look at who was seated in your previous seats? Was there any kind of equipment change?

Push for some miles due to the inconvenience and being separated, and also mention that the gate agent was very unhelpful and uninterested in helping resolve the issue.
Old May 23, 2017, 10:11 am
Original Poster

I did take a peak at who was sitting in those seats, it was another couple in their 60's. No equipment change at all. MD-88's...
Old May 23, 2017, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Okay, after a call back from a supervisor (didn't expect that) DL has granted my wife and I both $200 certs.

Given the short duration that seems more than fair for one leg of coach.
Old May 23, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Why can't these things ever happen to me?? I'd happily take a coach seat for what appears to be fair compensation.
Old May 23, 2017, 11:57 am

I would ask for a Hot meal and unlimited alcoholic drinks(and refilled at the same time First Class gets their refill) plus a free headphones and the Westin Blanket and First Class Pillow, Dasani Bottled water plus the monetary downgrade for the smaller seat and less legroom.

I think the policy for Delta and other airlines who involuntarily downgrade their customer that they should be given the same features of First Class in Comfort+ since not every passenger gets downgraded I don't think it would hurt the airline and at least its part of the compensation package in addition to the fare difference+$200.

At least I would get the same benefits as First Class and I would not feel bad using the First Class lavratory as I was originally booked in that cabin and was involuntarily downgraded.

I would think its fair to ask nicely to the pursuer or even the gate agent , checkin counter agent(if the downgrade happened before boarding) to get the same items First Class gets while we are parked at the gate including a Pre Departure Beverage.

Not entitlement but Delta was the one to downgrade me so at least I should get the same service First Class does in my Comfort+ seat including the glassware. A fair bargain if you ask me.

I would see if Delta could contact the catering department to make sure my meal is loaded and they have a blanket, Dasani Bottled Water, Pillow etc.

I would reason that I had no time to grab a hot meal at the airport and really want a hot meal( in fact I would ask what the menu is and order what entree I would like).

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by danielonn; May 23, 2017 at 12:08 pm
Old May 23, 2017, 12:17 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by danielonn

What are your thoughts?
what are you going to do when they say no?
Old May 23, 2017, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I would ask for a Hot meal and unlimited alcoholic drinks(and refilled at the same time First Class gets their refill) plus a free headphones and the Westin Blanket and First Class Pillow, Dasani Bottled water plus the monetary downgrade for the smaller seat and less legroom.

I think the policy for Delta and other airlines who involuntarily downgrade their customer that they should be given the same features of First Class in Comfort+ since not every passenger gets downgraded I don't think it would hurt the airline and at least its part of the compensation package in addition to the fare difference+$200.

At least I would get the same benefits as First Class and I would not feel bad using the First Class lavratory as I was originally booked in that cabin and was involuntarily downgraded.

I would think its fair to ask nicely to the pursuer or even the gate agent , checkin counter agent(if the downgrade happened before boarding) to get the same items First Class gets while we are parked at the gate including a Pre Departure Beverage.

Not entitlement but Delta was the one to downgrade me so at least I should get the same service First Class does in my Comfort+ seat including the glassware. A fair bargain if you ask me.

I would see if Delta could contact the catering department to make sure my meal is loaded and they have a blanket, Dasani Bottled Water, Pillow etc.

I would reason that I had no time to grab a hot meal at the airport and really want a hot meal( in fact I would ask what the menu is and order what entree I would like).

What are your thoughts?
Most of that isn't feasible. Catering which includes blankets, pillows, etc is finalized 24 hours prior. They can't simply call up the catering company, order a meal, extra pillows, etc.

Edit - just noticed the poster. Same as 12 hour bag delay should get 40000 miles and lots of money.

Last edited by flyerCO; May 23, 2017 at 1:11 pm
Old May 23, 2017, 12:47 pm

What are your thoughts?
I was going to post something witty or critical, but then I realized that would be a waste of time.
Old May 23, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by JesseRohr
Okay, after a call back from a supervisor (didn't expect that) DL has granted my wife and I both $200 certs.

Given the short duration that seems more than fair for one leg of coach.
They probably should have issued another companion certificate, too.
Old May 23, 2017, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by MS02113
They probably should have issued another companion certificate, too.
They are issued by AMEX, so this would be difficult for delta to arrange. Service recovery here was more than appropriate.
Old May 23, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by apodo77
3rd thread of the day for involuntary downgrade from F.

Good luck to you.
You know, this does seem strange to have so many in one day.
Probably due to the UK attack yesterday. Increased FAM presence on the longer/bigger flights maybe?

Last edited by mikal768; May 23, 2017 at 2:22 pm
Old May 23, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: Delta PM & 2.4M+ Miles - Bonvoy - Lifetime Titanium - DL AMEX Reserve

What are your thoughts?
Surely you can't be serious? OP is happy with resolution, case closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.