Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Involuntary downgrade from business on skymiles ticket to europe!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2017, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Alaska MVP

Hi my friend and I were booked from JFK to europe for today in business (O class) on a mileage ticket that i booked months ago. when i went to check in they had involuntarily downgraded me to c+. when i called delta the agent actually said no is in our seats and to try our luck at the airport and the "seats were blocked for departure" has anyone had experience with this? please help!
Old May 23, 2017, 9:05 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Does the story just end there? If you want a definitive answer you need to provide more details.

I'd say this sounds like a FAM situation. What seats did you have?
Old May 23, 2017, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by C W
Does the story just end there? If you want a definitive answer you need to provide more details.

I'd say this sounds like a FAM situation. What seats did you have?
I had recieved an email on 5/16 saying prepare for your trip etc and was assigned to seat 5A and he was in seat 6a and now we are 13a and 13B. the flight does show as sold out on delta for today when i checked. im new to this whats FAM situation?
Old May 23, 2017, 9:15 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LuvLuxeTravel
Hi my friend and I were booked from JFK to europe for today in business (O class) on a mileage ticket that i booked months ago. when i went to check in they had involuntarily downgraded me to c+. when i called delta the agent actually said no is in our seats and to try our luck at the airport and the "seats were blocked for departure" has anyone had experience with this? please help!
I would call back until I received a proper resolution - I wouldn't risk it to try to get it resolved at the airport.
Old May 23, 2017, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Definitely call up again and ask for a supervisor. You should be given a reason for the involuntary downgrade. A FAM doesn't make sense, since you said it is two seats... so I'm assuming you both got downgraded?
If it is a downgrade and they can't get you a seat, then you are due compensation - mileage refund for difference between J and W, credit voucher, and likely additional miles for the trouble.

What flight is it? Note that seatmaps appear full for other cabins except the one you are seated, so there could be available seats.
Old May 23, 2017, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTT
I would call back until I received a proper resolution - I wouldn't risk it to try to get it resolved at the airport.
thank you for all the prompt responses, I cant help get the feeling I;m getting the run around when I call. first they told me it was a schedule change, then they said equipment change. still dont get why they can put me in the seat if no one is sitting there!
Old May 23, 2017, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TTT
Agree, the airport is going to likely be too late unless there are last minute cancels.
Old May 23, 2017, 9:21 am

I would call back and keep escalating. They took your miles you need your seats! No way would I let them move me to C+
Old May 23, 2017, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rylan
Definitely call up again and ask for a supervisor. You should be given a reason for the involuntary downgrade. A FAM doesn't make sense, since you said it is two seats... so I'm assuming you both got downgraded?
If it is a downgrade and they can't get you a seat, then you are due compensation - mileage refund for difference between J and W, credit voucher, and likely additional miles for the trouble.

What flight is it? Note that seatmaps appear full for other cabins except the one you are seated, so there could be available seats.
flight DL 407 JFK to ZRH on 5/23. they did offer to pay mileage difference and $200 credit voucher but thats not exactly much comfort given its an 8 hr flight and the seat they downgraded us to is 13A and B which sucks according to to seatguru!
Old May 23, 2017, 9:24 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
I had recieved an email on 5/16 saying prepare for your trip etc and was assigned to seat 5A and he was in seat 6a and now we are 13a and 13B. the flight does show as sold out on delta for today when i checked. im new to this whats FAM situation?
FAM stands for Federal Air Marshal. They always fly in the highest class of service and airlines must allow them to select any seats they wish at any time before departure regardless of whether or not those seats are sold. This obviously causes terrible headaches for both airlines and passengers on sold-out flights, it is especially frustrating because the airline is not legally allowed to tell you, for security reasons, that your seat was taken by a FAM. This may be why you are getting such information-free runaround answers.

I would try and get placed on another flight. Ask to fly on a different routing where you connect or to change the dates. You'll probably still get some goodwill compensation.

Originally Posted by rylan

FAMs often work in pairs or on flights deemed high risk there can be even more of them.
Old May 23, 2017, 9:24 am
Original Poster

flight DL 407 JFK to ZRH on 5/23. they did offer to pay mileage difference and $200 credit voucher but thats not exactly much comfort given its an 8 hr flight and the seat they downgraded us to is 13A and B which sucks according to to seatguru!
does anyone have expertflyer access to check the flight for business class seat availability?
Old May 23, 2017, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by C W
FAM stands for Federal Air Marshal. They always fly in the highest class of service and airlines must allow them to select any seats they wish at any time before departure regardless of whether or not those seats are sold. This obviously causes terrible headaches for both airlines and passengers on sold-out flights, it is especially frustrating because the airline is not legally allowed to tell you, for security reasons, that your seat was taken by a FAM. This may be why you are getting such information-free runaround answers.

I would try and get placed on another flight. Ask to fly on a different routing where you connect or to change the dates. You'll probably still get some goodwill compensation.

FAMs often work in pairs or on flights deemed high risk there can be even more of them.

thank you for explaining. i googled and i all i got was family etc.
Old May 23, 2017, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, JFK-ZRH is J0 and seatmap is all occupied

Ask to be re-routed through AMS. There is availability:
DL46 JFK-AMS at 4:13pm
DL9619 AMS-ZRH at 7:05am

Same arrival time into ZRH. Seats 1C/D on JFK-AMS so across the aisle, but at least J... assuming you can get to JFK to make the earlier departure.

Even if they put you on that you should still send in a complaint due to the handling.
Old May 23, 2017, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Call back. If they can't get you back in business class on that flight, then, if you are willing to connect instead of take the non-stop, request to be rerouted. They should at least be able to get you back in business class on a flight to CDG or AMS and then connect you onward to ZRH.
Old May 23, 2017, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
does anyone have expertflyer access to check the flight for business class seat availability?
It's J0; plenty of availability in coach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.