Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Turned away at KLM Crown Lounge... new "enhancement"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Turned away at KLM Crown Lounge... new "enhancement"?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by C W
I'm really not sure how you arrive at the conclusion that UX is an LCC. Sure their service is downright horrifying and they sell everything on board for short haul, but so does BA. They have a varied fleet of 10 aircraft types (including orders) including wide-bodies with lie-flat business class with which they serve long-haul international routes. They do not focus on operating out of secondary airports. They have at least 24 codeshare partners and, as you correctly point out, are a full SkyTeam member. None of this points to them being an LCC, so I'm not sure which of the "most definitions" I've missed here.

I can see how you may be confused that Transavia is simply a regional carrier, although I'm not sure how you thought they complimented KLM CityHopper apart from being low cost. I agree that with a codeshare agreement it has the potential to be confusing, but I don't think that it is so unclear that 5 minutes of pre-trip or pre-booking due diligence couldn't have led you to the correct conclusion.
If you disagree with my classification of Air Europa, simply substitute Air France Hop!, which certainly qualifies.

(I'd submit that in a world where Ryanair serves most major airports now and Norwegian is shaking up the long haul market, the LCC designation is more or less obsolete, and the relevant details are all in the passenger experience and expectations. Passengers booking a ticket with a no frills airline expect to get very little onboard, but passengers booking a Delta flight with Delta flight numbers have a much higher expectation of quality and service.)

Perhaps more to the point, KLM's own web site makes it pretty unclear. https://www.klm.com/travel/nl_en/pla.../index.htm#p40indicates that Transavia connecting passengers who are FlyingBlue elites will actually have lounge access in Amsterdam. Obviously, they're free to treat their own passengers differently than alliance partner passengers, but it's not clear to me that "five minutes of cursory research" would turn up the correct answer here (unless they find this FlyerTalk thread...)
Old Jun 26, 2017, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, HHonors Diamond (Aspire)
So, not to grave dig, but this is the response I got (a month later) after sending a comment in which I described the situation. Does this seem like someone just didn't know what they're talking about? It makes no sense to me.

To clarify, effective May 1, 2014, 3rd party lounges will become Third-Party Business lounges. This change means Delta’s Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion passengers will no longer have access to those lounges unless they are confirmed in Business Elite class. Lounge access is subject to the policies and capacity restrictions of each lounge. Delta Sky Club cannot guarantee entry at lounge locations.

I’m sorry for your disappointment with our Sky Club KLM lounge KLM website regarding all of the amenities and rules of our lounges. We look forward to seeing you in one of them soon.

It's a matter of concern that our agent wasn’t helpful and polite. I know you are upset with impolite behavior and the manner in which you were treated by this agent. It’s obvious that you didn’t receive the courteous, friendly, accurate and the appropriate customer service you should’ve received. I apologize that we didn’t meet the high standards that we strive to provide

I've written a detailed report about the incident that happened, and will be forwarding it to the Airport Customer Service team along with your email for internal follow up.

We are continually reviewing our policies and procedures through many aspects of our operations to ensure that they best serve our customers and our business needs.

Bonus Miles
While I can’t erase your unpleasant experience, I want you to know that we value your business. As a goodwill gesture, I’m adding 5,000 bonus miles to your SkyMiles account. They should be transferred into your account within three business days.

We appreciate your Platinum Medallion status and hope we remain your airline of choice.

Regards,
Old Jun 26, 2017, 2:16 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by Delta Dude
So, not to grave dig, but this is the response I got (a month later) after sending a comment in which I described the situation. Does this seem like someone just didn't know what they're talking about? It makes no sense to me.
Sounds like the agent thought the KLM lounge was a third party contract lounge. Remarkably clueless...
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: DL MM & FO, HH Diamond
Same Rules for SkyClub Membership Alone?

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Thank you. I just avoided an itinerary with a Transavia connection from AMS. BTW, it couldn't be booked on delta.dumb, but the DM agent could see it.
I could not find it specifically in the Access Policies, but I would expect that SC membership without STE+ status is treated the same way. - i.e. no AMS KLM club access unless traveling onward on a ST member flight.

True?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by tartetatin2
I could not find it specifically in the Access Policies, but I would expect that SC membership without STE+ status is treated the same way. - i.e. no AMS KLM club access unless traveling onward on a ST member flight.

True?
A memerbship doesn't require you to be flying DL or ST even. KLM/AF lounges are included as part of SC membership. You can fly UA and get into KLM lounge with SC membership.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
A memerbship doesn't require you to be flying DL or ST even. KLM/AF lounges are included as part of SC membership. You can fly UA and get into KLM lounge with SC membership.
Partner lounges can apply additional terms and conditions for entry with an SC membership. The "any carrier" provision only strictly applies to actual SC's.

"Access to partner lounges is subject to additional terms and conditions, including but not limited to the house rules of the partner lounge."
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL: PM/2MM; MHG; HH;
I just LOVE "sic" all of the "enhancements" DL rolls out to the SkyPesos program.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LBJ
Partner lounges can apply additional terms and conditions for entry with an SC membership. The "any carrier" provision only strictly applies to actual SC's.

"Access to partner lounges is subject to additional terms and conditions, including but not limited to the house rules of the partner lounge."
I understand. However you're incorrect on the any carrier provision. It does indeed apply at KLM lounges. One just need to read FT to see people getting in when on UA, or OALs.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 7:11 pm

The noise-to-signal ratio is a little hazy here.

Is the takeaway now that SkyTeam Elite / STE+'s no longer get access at KLM Lounges anywhere in the system (including AMS) when flying in coach?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DJMeatBall
The noise-to-signal ratio is a little hazy here.

Is the takeaway now that SkyTeam Elite / STE+'s no longer get access at KLM Lounges anywhere in the system (including AMS) when flying in coach?
No. Still can enter. They just cant bring in guests at AMS ehile renovation is ongoing.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:40 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I understand. However you're incorrect on the any carrier provision. It does indeed apply at KLM lounges. One just need to read FT to see people getting in when on UA, or OALs.
While this is the case for the KLM lounge in IAH, this is not the case for the KLM lounges in AMS. I had a SkyClub membership until last year, and I was never able to access the lounge when flying BA or any other non-Skyteam airline out of AMS.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SDQBound
While this is the case for the KLM lounge in IAH, this is not the case for the KLM lounges in AMS. I had a SkyClub membership until last year, and I was never able to access the lounge when flying BA or any other non-Skyteam airline out of AMS.
Never had any issue at AMS as long as i make sure they understand I'm entering using SC membership. They a lot of times default to STE+ policy rules. A simple point out usually does it. If not a supervisor or colleague will correct them. Also again you'll find people on here noting the same getting in when flying UA, BA, etc at AMS.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:41 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Never had any issue at AMS as long as i make sure they understand I'm entering using SC membership. They a lot of times default to STE+ policy rules. A simple point out usually does it. If not a supervisor or colleague will correct them. Also again you'll find people on here noting the same getting in when flying UA, BA, etc at AMS.
Well, I got the info from one of the managers after inquiring, but this was over a year ago, so things might have changed.

The most recent experience at AMS I had was when flying on a DL flight and my spouse on a AA flight. She could not enter the lounge as my guest (she is also Skyteam Elite+ but of course this didn't mean anything as she wasn't flying Skyteam). They asked for her BP when I said she was my guest, and since her flight was on AA, she was denied entry. We ended up using 5000 Flying Blue miles that we had sitting in an account to pay for her access.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SDQBound
Well, I got the info from one of the managers after inquiring, but this was over a year ago, so things might have changed.

The most recent experience at AMS I had was when flying on a DL flight and my spouse on a AA flight. She could not enter the lounge as my guest (she is also Skyteam Elite+ but of course this didn't mean anything as she wasn't flying Skyteam). They asked for her BP when I said she was my guest, and since her flight was on AA, she was denied entry. We ended up using 5000 Flying Blue miles that we had sitting in an account to pay for her access.
That makes me think even more they were confusing STE+ guest rules with SC Executive membership. I have had issue with getting guests in w/ SC Exec. Membership. 50/50 on guests being allowed in or being denied. However, after the fact, after complaining they agreed it was wrong to deny access. Was given 5000 SM, which makes sense if a visit is worth 5000 FB miles.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: FB Platinum
"Lounge access will be provided only at your departure airport and not on arrival, unless you are connecting to a domestic flight or other qualifying international flight."

If I arrive with a business class ticket, but depart with an economy ticket, will lounge access also apply?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.